The Video Games Thread

Raskolnikov

Previous thread hit the page limit.

Yeah, pay whatever you like for World of Goo, Penumbra: Overture, Aquaria, Gish, & Lugaru HD? Best deal ever. Although, I'd advise coughing up a little more than $0.01, as at that price the developers are actually losing money due to Paypal fees and bandwidth.

Personally I'm playing World of Goo right now, and waiting for Mount & Blade: Warband to arrive in the mail.

I did pay an amount above the current $7.98 average. The Penumbra site also has a $5 offer for all three Penumbra games with a Humble Indie Bundle purchase. I'll take it if I like Penumbra: Overture, which I'm pretty sure I will.

I also just installed Machinarium. It looks fun!

I did pay an amount above the current $7.98 average. The Penumbra site also has a $5 offer for all three Penumbra games with a Humble Indie Bundle purchase. I'll take it if I like Penumbra: Overture, which I'm pretty sure I will.

I also just installed Machinarium. It looks fun!

Yeah, sorry if that came out the wrong way - didn't mean to imply that you payed the minimum. Just wanted to let people know that paying too little can cost the guys behind it. Anyways, those who haven't checked the bundle out yet should certainly do so!

I have heard good things about Machinarium!

I picked up 'Rise of Legends' the other night and have been happy so far (even though it crashed right after I obliterated an enemy hero and before I could save).

The SteamPunk/Magic-ness appeals to me.

I almost got the C&C box set and L4D, but figure that I'll finish RoL first.

I grabbed Civilization III Complete and Civilization IV: The Complete Edition (includes Beyond the Sword, Warlords and Colonization) from Steam for €11.25, and have just fired up Civ 4. Haven't played a Civ game for about ten years so I figured it was about time.

Also contemplating getting Constructor for $4.19 from the Kalypso Simulation promo going on over at GOG.com, which also includes Mob Rule and the Creatures games.

I grabbed Civilization III Complete and Civilization IV: The Complete Edition (includes Beyond the Sword, Warlords and Colonization) from Steam for €11.25, and have just fired up Civ 4. Haven't played a Civ game for about ten years so I figured it was about time.

You couldn't find a copy of the Civilization Chronicles? On this side of the pond it goes for about $35.00 or so. You get all of the Civ games up to Civ 4 plus tech maps and everything.

I've been playing Civ 3 and 4 in anticipation of Civ 5 in September!

@ a wooden chair: I can't wait for the reboot, everything I've heard so far sounds like they are hard at work on it. Yay!

You couldn't find a copy of the Civilization Chronicles? On this side of the pond it goes for about $35.00 or so. You get all of the Civ games up to Civ 4 plus tech maps and everything.

It was an impulse buy because of the Steam weekend sale, so I didn't really check around for anything else.

Also, everyone who bought The Humble Indie Bundle get a free sixth game, Samorost 2, made by Amanita Design (the devs behind Machinarium). The sale ends in two days.

In case it hasn't been mentioned here already one of the best games of 2009 is finally getting a Europe and Pacific release after being in Japan for a year and America for 6(?) months:

Demon's Souls

So looking forward to this game.

I'm on holiday at my parents for 10 days which has given me the chance to finally complete Mass Effect. I'm now playing Mass Effect 2 which I'm enjoying. The inventory section of the first game was an annoyance as I seemed to spend half my time deleting obsolete crap. Glad they ditched it in the second game. I also like how the combat is more tactical, having to take cover. It's also nicely ambiguous, having to work with Cerberus.

In case it hasn't been mentioned here already one of the best games of 2009 is finally getting a Europe and Pacific release after being in Japan for a year and America for 6(?) months:

Demon's Souls

So looking forward to this game.

Demon's Souls is fantastic. I highly recommend checking it out. It's the type of game that's really hard when you go through it, but then once you've finished you can look back and say: "that wasn't so hard." It punishes you for anything less than perfection. And the bosses all require strategy.

There are plenty of online guides that you can look up and find out how to beat all the enemies, or find all the items. But it's recommended to do your first run without them, as it ruins the experience.

I spend about 50 hours on my first play through - a bit longer than average, but I did some extra grinding, because I'm cheap like that.

Well, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

-

I picked up 3d Dot Game Heroes - if you're not familiar, it's basically the original (NES) Zelda but with a 3d world. It's an interesting art style; seems kind of strange at first, but it works well. There's a lot of humor and references to other games. I only put in a few hours but it's been fun so far.

Still playing through Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on master ninja. Hit a snag in chapter 5, took about a week to get through it, but I'm finally making progress again.

Been playing Assassin's Creed 2. Lots of fun, but rather the easy, only times I've "desynced" have been from Ezio decides that what I meant to do was jump backwards and splatter on the street instead of climbing up.

I'm slowly making my way through Final Fantasy XIII. The story and the characters suck. When will they make an FF game with a cynical, bitter middle-aged protagonist? I shall continue to wait in vain.

That's Sazh in a nutshell.

I've stopped carrying about XIII's story. I just play it for the picturesque battles.

Archived