The Video Games Thread

Raskolnikov

Finished Red Dead Redemption. It was a pretty good game overall, especially the ending, but 3/4 of the way through doing a lot of the side missions got tedious. Also, the main character Marston was one wimpy "badass".

And the

sex scene

: hilariously bad.

Finished Red Dead Redemption. It was a pretty good game overall, especially the ending, but 3/4 of the way through doing a lot of the side missions got tedious. Also, the main character Marston was one wimpy "badass".

And the

sex scene

Did you do the final mission as the son that reveals the end credits? It's after John is killed.

I'm re-playing Valkyria Chronicles at the moment. Loving it all over again. Such a beautiful game. Best looking game I've seen/played ever. Other games are technically superior but the watercolour art style is just wonderful.

Best game from Sega this console generation. And my favourite game of this generation so far (and I've played Uncharted 2 and loved it).

I was miffed when they put the sequel on PSP. I really hope they bring this world back to PS3.

Thanks for recommending this game, it's a ton of fun.

And the

sex scene

Marston is a weird character because if you play honorable then his dialogue in the cutscenes makes sense but if you play dishonorable it seems out of character. The game really needed a dialogue wheel like Mass Effect. Hopefully that's included in the inevitable sequel.

Did you do the final mission as the son that reveals the end credits? It's after John is killed.

Yes. It was really cool to see them pan back after seeing the second headstone. I was also able to kill three of the army men before being gunned down by the army.

Yes. It was really cool to see them pan back after seeing the second headstone. I was also able to kill three of the army men before being gunned down by the army.

No the son has a final quest that reveals the end credits to the game. Check out the train station in Blackwater.

No the son has a final quest that reveals the end credits to the game. Check out the train station in Blackwater.

I did that too,just forgot to add that to the last post. I decided to kill his wife and brother as well for retribution.

Picked up quake 4 for the 360 yesterday. OK for $10 I guess. After Halo, a FPS that doesnt have a meelee and a grenade throw function (simultanious with shooting a gun) feels incomplete. I hate running out of ammo then having the alien just stand their in my face while I reload, while in Halo you just beat him to the ground.

It was the creator of bullet time. It became so ubiquitous for a while that, for people who didn't play it when it was released and played later takes on that system first, it seems that way. In much the same way, I think Metal Gear Solid sucks, because I played later, better stealth games first.

Also, I love the way the storytelling is handled. Everything is narrated by Max on the fly, and the "cut scenes" are comic book panels. It makes the whole thing feel like a wonderfully hammy homage to noir and, while everyone agrees the writing is melodramatic and ridiculous, that's kind of the point.

EDIT: Also, the way that you're forced to

not only live through the murder of Max's wife and child at the beginning but also to relive it several times in Max's nightmares makes for one of the more gripping, viscerally unpleasant video game experiences I've had.

In much the same way, I think Metal Gear Solid sucks, because I played later, better stealth games first.

Never felt MGS was a stealth game myself, never really played it as such. It's somewhat needed on higher difficulties due to low ammo, and in order to get the best ratings and some items, you can't really be seen etc. But on normal/hard, I just ran around , shooting people and collecting stuff, with a semi-awkward camera and strange controls, having a blast, and looking forward to the next cut-scene. To me, the MGS series is mostly about boss fights and characters, and the boss fights are rarely stealthy. I mean, how stealthy can you get by fighting a Harrier from a bridge with surface-to-air missiles.

Just got the Legend of the West outfit in Read Dead Redemtion.

Let me tell you, killing a grizzly bear with a melee knife is no small feat.

I can't find skunks and raccoons. Driving me insane really. They are all over the rest of the time I'm playing the game but now that I actually need to kill them, there are none around. Awesome game though.

Archived