Aussie XLIX

Warg Arry

Ah, When I joined it was XXXX and I thought it was because of the beer.

Hope Mothers day was a good one for all.

I had a lazy day...Sort of.

Apart from the cleaning and looking after the kids. I flat out refused to do the weeding of the front lawn.

Hand to hand combat of the Weeds has failed. I must now resort to chemical warfare...Tomorrow.

Now please resume conversations of sports and politics. :)

Happy Mother's Day Saurian!

As for politics...well GS and I had a bit of a debate about this in chat the other day. I still haven't really formed a strong opinion as to whether or not the niqab/burka should be banned on the ground that it represents the repression of women. My instincts would generally lead me to favour the right to freedom of personal expression (i.e. let people wear what they want). But I can certainly see where other people are coming from.

One thing is for sure: the argument that the burka is "emerging as the preferred disguise of bandits and ne'er-do-wells" is an absolute bullshit reason for banning burkas specifically.

Ah, When I joined it was XXXX and I thought it was because of the beer.

Numbering's about right I reckon - might be off by a couple either way, but meh.

One thing is for sure: the argument that the burka is "emerging as the preferred disguise of bandits and ne'er-do-wells" is an absolute bullshit reason for banning burkas specifically.

Wouldn't that be the hoodie?

Well I would like to thank Saurian for starting this thread. I know I ask alot, but I truly do value your input and it does tend to stop us guys getting out of hand.

Ok so looks like I am on the mend and now need to think about my poor car.

so tuesday for a RDO I am thinking

Finally Jb Hifi stocks up on the Star Wars! Watched 'A New Hope' & 'Empire Strikes Back' already, I reckon I can fit in 'Return of the Jedi' before I go to bed.

Brook, if you read this. How did the Tigers go this weekend? I missed it.

Well I would like to thank Saurian for starting this thread. I know I ask alot, but I truly do value your input and it does tend to stop us guys getting out of hand.

Ok so looks like I am on the mend and now need to think about my poor car.

so tuesday for a RDO I am thinking

I was going to let Brook have the honour. Since she was here before me. But there seemed to be a need. Sorry Brook.

And, oh come on, when do you guys ever get out of hand? pfft. ;)

Thank you Pax!

As for the burka ban.

I don't know. I have recently formed a friendship with a lady that wears one. She doesn't feel oppressed and believes it's her right to wear it.

It came up because. Well, to be honest I felt a little uncomfortable. In the sense that. me in my tank top and jeans felt pretty near naked next to her and I kept weirdly wanting to apologise to her, if my clothing offended her. She laughed and we talked about it. And now I barely notice.

It means more to the people who wear them. So it needs to be handle with more care and with better reasons, If the government really wants to go down that road. I obviously don't believe they should.

just my two cents.

I am torn on the issue, I can see why people would be offended by it. I really do not understand why anyone would wish to wear it. Sorry but it is beyond me.

I would like to try again if someone can explain it to me.

Honestly from my perspective it is an arabic cultural thing rather than anything religious. But I am willing to listen to arguements against that position

I do understand that this view is coloured by those extremists that the media has reported on rather than focusing on the moderates.

I have a very good friend who is a muslim and he is not extremist, nor is his wife who does not feel it is neccesery to cover her head of body in such an outfit.

The whole religious support for this comes from one line in the koran, " A woman should be modest before God"

Or this is my understanding at least.

But seriously shouldn't we all be modest before God and that is not in re to our bodies but our attitudes.

Sorry but I just do not understand it.

ETA: In regard to the thread number we have regularly dropped a ten digit at times

so honestly LXX might be more accurate, But IL is about right I think

L = 50?

Roman numerals conversion

XLIX = 49

Does that sound right?

Honestly what I know about the culture and religion I would be hard pressed to fill a post-it-note with. And as of only recently the amount of people I know that are Muslim and wear a burka now equals one.

What I do know is. She is a fun, generous, intelligent and decent woman, Who wouldn't feel liberated or grateful should a ban be implemented. But rather her rights and freedoms violated.

But of course it will probably fall under the heading of national security. So liberation, rights and freedoms of a people won't come into it. In order to protect rights and freedom of the "nation".

Urgh! I'm being all jaded. And it sucks because I can see both sides.

XLIX = 49

Does that sound right?

Honestly what I know about the culture and religion I would be hard pressed to fill a post-it-note with. And as of only recently the amount of people I know that are Muslim and wear a burka now equals one.

What I do know is. She is a fun, generous, intelligent and decent woman, Who wouldn't feel liberated or grateful should a ban be implemented. But rather her rights and freedoms violated.

But of course it will probably fall under the heading of national security. So liberation, rights and freedoms of a people won't come into it. In order to protect rights and freedom of the "nation".

Urgh! I'm being all jaded. And it sucks because I can see both sides.

The giving up of rights and freedoms is however seen by many as them being denied the right to see a persons face.

They also only see the wearing of the burhka as being an oppresion of women and feel that is totally against our way of life.

granted this is not what everyone thinks but I am hearing it more and more.

Unfortunately as previously mentioned this tends to be inflamed by the media. It does however begin to remind me of the PLO seeking refuge in Lebanon and then being a major contributer to the civil war that followed.

For the roman numerals I would have thought that 49 would be L for fifty and I for one on the negative side.

So IL seems correct to me

You actually raise a very interesting constitutional question here Saurian. Personally, I very much doubt that the C'th could rely on the Defence (national security) power to justify banning the niqab/burka and therefore the ban would probably have to be implemented via State legislation.

As to the infringement of rights and freedoms, well, this is where our current legal framework is sadly lacking. There is an express right to freedom of religion in the C'th Constitution, but that would not necessarily apply here as the wearing of a burka is generally viewed as a cultural norm associated with Islamic people rather than an aspect of the religion itself.

@GS: 49 is definitely XLIX. The so-called "subtractive" principle only applies when the first number is no more than 10 times larger than the second number. As L (50) is more than 10 times larger than I (1), the subtractive principle does not apply :read:.

My boss is actually pretty good - sane, helpful, easygoing and will go out to bat for us when prima-donna staffers are flapping like idiots because we stuffed up one their totally redundant packages.

As for the weather - anyone remember when autumn was cold? I swear the last two have been so mild I'm starting to forget what it's like.

My boss is actually pretty good - sane, helpful, easygoing and will go out to bat for us when prima-donna staffers are flapping like idiots because we stuffed up one their totally redundant packages.

As for the weather - anyone remember when autumn was cold? I swear the last two have been so mild I'm starting to forget what it's like.

It's getting pretty cold in the mornings and nights, enough to need a jumper.

My boss is a bit of a knob at times (and really, who's boss isn't) but overall he's ok.

I prefer Cascade Light if I have to drink beer - I'm more of a Bourbon man - but the main thing I love about beer at the moment is the new ads about the beer economy. Face it, Carlton beer ads are funny as fuck.

The local sports teams suck. Except for the Western Warriors, who admittedly suck at cricket but don't suck in general.

The weather is bloody great at the moment. Perversely, as a born and bred Sandgroper, I don't like it hot. I love this time of the year.

:P I also have a good boss, no complaints from me.

It was hot on the weekend after the cold week.

The bosses? Yeah, can't really complain. Staff meetings never last for very long and they give me a fair degree of autonomy.

The beer? Cricket season is over so no more cheap beers from the cricket club :thumbsdown:.

Local sports teams? Bloody awesome. Dockers sitting pretty in second spot.

The weather? Good for now, but it won't last. Winter is coming. (OK that was lame even by my standards).

Now, back to politics ;). No progress on the bloody R18+ rating unfortunately, despite the fact that a relatively expansive public consultation showed that 98% of people were in favour of a new rating. The May meeting of the A-Gs resulted in nothing more than a resolution to continue investigating. I shouldn't be surprised though, considering that the "public consultation" really amounted to nothing more than a "gamer consultation".

To be honest, politics bore me most of the time. In Australia they are always going to pretty much do the same thing as the other, they are equally as bad. None are good. If one does something good on a certain aspect, then they fail at another. No one will ever be pleased and it's all rather pointless.

To be honest, politics bore me most of the time. In Australia they are always going to pretty much do the same thing as the other, they are equally as bad. None are good. If one does something good on a certain aspect, then they fail at another. No one will ever be pleased and it's all rather pointless.

Sorry Ski I agree with much of what you say but would rather know just how I am being screwed and by whom.

When a gov attacks its own people then there is a major problem.

Bosses hmmm short arms and deep pockets best describes mine.

Beer well so long as it is not XXXX and is cold I tend to be somewhat ambivilant these days.

sports?

sorry but since I don't get to see the good stuff only contests where the money is so big I have to think it is rigged, well not really interested.

To save money I've considered buying a coopers brew kit and learning to do it myself when my house is built, I'm told it's hard to get the knack of. There is always U-Brew-It which is apparently great but cheap. Before I started building I used to buy this stuff from a microbrewery in Beechworth Victoria Bridge Road Brewers. They were on Mercurios Menu last Sunday.

Now I usually drink whatever is $2 but will always go for a Little Creatures Pale Ale from back home if I have the money.

To save money I've considered buying a coopers brew kit and learning to do it myself when my house is built, I'm told it's hard to get the knack of. There is always U-Brew-It which is apparently great but cheap. Before I started building I used to buy this stuff from a microbrewery in Beechworth Victoria Bridge Road Brewers. They were on Mercurios Menu last Sunday.

Now I usually drink whatever is $2 but will always go for a Little Creatures Pale Ale from back home if I have the money.

Little creatures I don't know but have been known to drink the odd Swan lager or two.....dozen :P

some of my best times were in WA so I have fond memories and a great liking for WA.

ok an update on the car, I changed all the hoses and filled it with water and started her up.

Well when I looked there was water pouring out like someone had turned a tap on.

I just figured I must have cracked the head badly and this morning discussed my options with a mechanic at work.

We had both agreed the best option was going to be to buy a new car, when he comes up with this bright idea, " You haven't done a welsh plug have you?"

Bang knock me over with a feather of course thats the most likely thing, also I won't be hurting anything by taking the injection system off to take a look and see.

I was thinking the crack had to be massive because of the water flow, but a crack that big would have shown through the rest of the head!

So in the morning it is out with my trusty tools by 8am to take the injection system off and take a look hopefully to find it is just a 50 cent part and a five minute job. One of the drivers at work scowled and said "yeah a 5 min job but 4 hrs of work to get to it!"

ohh need the early start because have a "friend" coming over early sunday morning and also need to clean the place up for when she arrives.

Archived