American Politics mark something something

davos

FLoW,

Anyway, the only people required to always carry papers are non-citizens, which I don't think is an unreasonable requirement. For all the reasons discussed previously, I don't believe the law even as applied requires that of everyone.

Okay, now this is something of a point.

Tempra,

Because you (and others) have criticized or been skeptical of my position that this law does not legalize racial profiling. My position is backed up by the text of the law and common legal practice.

I'll ask you again: what has that to do at all with my position? Your position is what it is on its own merits, yeah? Surely neither the content of your argument, nor its actual worth, depends on what my argument is?

There have been a lot of bad decisions. Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson are universally considered bad decisions. Practically, however,its decisions are binding until overruled by a later decision or amendment.

I guess my point on this is that if the SC's word is binding, then what is constitutional or not is fluid. In that case, legality -- on which the SC's word is final -- is itself fluid, which is virtually indistinguishable from saying simply that it's a matter of perspective.

I don't like this law, but I don't know that I have a consistent rational argument against it. I object, however, to your characterization of Obama as lying, when all he was doing is giving his perspective, likewise to what you have done.

Archived