Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

I'm really hating running. Part of it is definitely just where I have to run: I doubt dodging cars going 55 mph, breathing in the exhaust, and jumping over roadkill is anyone's idea of a good time, but it's what I have available. I'm not a big fan of the stabbing pain in both sides of my ribcage and collar bone either. It's also just really boring. I can't listen to music or an audio book because of the traffic, but when even in the past when it's been an option it hasn't helped much. I run with my husband sometimes, but because he's 10 inches taller than me and has a proportionally longer stride, it's hard to talk much or feel too companionable.

I really want to like running. It's something I've always wanted to be able to do and enjoy, but I just am not having much luck. Are there any made runners out there? People who didn't like running at all at first, but found themselves enjoying it as time went on? What made the difference?

May I ask why you have to run on the highway? Are there any side roads a mile or two away that you could bike to first?

You shouldn't be feeling stabbing pain, especially not in your collarbone, is it just cramping? Maybe your posture is bad. When you run, imagine a zipline going from the middle of your chest upward at a 90 degree angle. Pretend that there's something on the top of the zipline that's pulling you along in a straight line. It will keep you from collapsing over in the chest and waist and having your arms swing around everywhere.

Maybe since your transportation options seem to be limited, you could find a nearby running group and ask if there's someone you could carpool with. That would get you onto less trafficked roads and give you some running partners who are more your pace.

Cap

Agree completely about trail running. I really enjoy it. The trails around here aren't conducive to long distance running, sadly. But they keep you focused, the terrain changes keep your mind interested in what's going on (rather than monitoring same cars, same exhaust). Harder to get a steady stride and become mechanical runner, but much easier on the knees with the dirt/grass, and much easier on the lungs with the fresher air.

Cap, the impression that I get about the Tarahumara is that there doesn't have to be a tens of thousands Disney industry for running tourists to be an annoyance in their life. I mean, if you told people that I had the secret to life, and 10 people showed up at my door this year, it would still be 10 people too many. But my underlying problem with the whole thing is the way their culture is objectified into a wellness package.

Chats,

My goal is to be at my goal weight by my next birthday, in January. I think I can do it, or at least get very close, one week at a time :) this is straight up a daily fight that I plan on winning.

I'm sore so I think that's a good sign. I'm just gonna keep on going and stay on the diet and make it work :)

I'm so proud of you, Mandy! Welcome to the thread!

As extra incentive to you: If you reach your goal weight, I'll share these naked pics of RaceBannon I have on my hard drive.

I'm so proud of you, Mandy! Welcome to the thread!

As extra incentive to you: If you reach your goal weight, I'll share these naked pics of RaceBannon I have on my hard drive.

Not sure I ever wanted to see the words "naked, "hard" & RaceBannon in the same sentence.

Back again today...gotten on a pull ups kick since it was a topic in the last thread. Not sure what it is about them...I just like them.Not doing any additional weight, just bodyweight - usually 4 sets til exhaustion for each.

So I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Vibram KSO FiveFingers. I went into the shop just to have a look and try them on and ended up walking out with a pair. I was a little skeptical at first but when I actually put them on my feet my opinion did a complete 180. Definitely the most comfortable pair of shoes I've worn that I can remember. Gonna give them their first run later on this afternoon.

Cap, the impression that I get about the Tarahumara is that there doesn't have to be a tens of thousands Disney industry for running tourists to be an annoyance in their life. I mean, if you told people that I had the secret to life, and 10 people showed up at my door this year, it would still be 10 people too many. But my underlying problem with the whole thing is the way their culture is objectified into a wellness package.

Yeah but my point is just that it's a huge chore to get where they are, and it's also extremely unsafe. So I really doubt that there are going to be hordes of runners heading down there.

May I ask why you have to run on the highway? Are there any side roads a mile or two away that you could bike to first?

You shouldn't be feeling stabbing pain, especially not in your collarbone, is it just cramping? Maybe your posture is bad. When you run, imagine a zipline going from the middle of your chest upward at a 90 degree angle. Pretend that there's something on the top of the zipline that's pulling you along in a straight line. It will keep you from collapsing over in the chest and waist and having your arms swing around everywhere.

Maybe since your transportation options seem to be limited, you could find a nearby running group and ask if there's someone you could carpool with. That would get you onto less trafficked roads and give you some running partners who are more your pace.

It's a rural area, so these are basically all side roads without a whole lot around. It's very pretty to drive on--winding, tree lined roads with as many hills as you get in central Ohio. Less than fabulous for pedestrians.

The pain in my sides is probably cramping, I'm not sure what the collar bone is. I tend to have good posture, but I know I tend to tense in the shoulders (both pulling them forward and too far back, depending on the situation). I'll work on that next time. How much patience do running groups have with beginners? I'm still working up to being able to run any significant distances. Dance, circuit training, sparring for significant periods of time? No endurance problems. Run a mile? I'm getting closer, at least. I am going to get to the point where I can run some distance (3 miles or so) without endurance issues before I make any decisions on this. It does always feel awesome to meet my goal for the day--when I'm more comfortable doing it, the process might be more fun too.

How much patience do running groups have with beginners? I'm still working up to being able to run any significant distances.

A lot of groups are focused on beginners - a good one for you would be a group that regularly does 3 miles, and includes some people who take walk breaks.

Had a solid workout today. I had kind of gotten stuck in a rut of not pushing myself enough (and I think my hands were too close together on bench press) and ended up with a PR bench press at 185 5x4x4x3. Also getting my squats closer to 1.5x body weight (285/bw 210 and dropping at 6'1"). I haven't posted much here because I wasn't working out as regularly as I should. Finally I've gotten my ass in gear 3-4 times a week doing mostly the 5x5 program. Even with an uneven workout schedule, I've seen some really awesome results in my arms and legs (bit more to trim off my torso). I owe a big thanks to this thread, which I lurk in most days, and especially to Stego who posted an endorsement of 5x5 months ago that got me started on this road.

De-lurking for a moment, just to say I love this thread. I started to eat more properly last September, and started to hit the gym in october. Along with swimming twice or thrice a week, I have lost a ton of weight. But that is just the beginning.

Now it's time to get real fit. Thanks for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

The pain in my sides is probably cramping, I'm not sure what the collar bone is. I tend to have good posture, but I know I tend to tense in the shoulders (both pulling them forward and too far back, depending on the situation). I'll work on that next time. How much patience do running groups have with beginners? I'm still working up to being able to run any significant distances. Dance, circuit training, sparring for significant periods of time? No endurance problems. Run a mile? I'm getting closer, at least. I am going to get to the point where I can run some distance (3 miles or so) without endurance issues before I make any decisions on this. It does always feel awesome to meet my goal for the day--when I'm more comfortable doing it, the process might be more fun too.

There are muscles that actually pull up your collarbones during inspiration to help offer room for the ribcage to expand. The sensation could also be coming from cramps in your intercostal muscles which can feel very close to your collarbone. Either way, it is probably a cramping in your muscles of respiration.

Try to breathe longer and deeper as you run, and focus on the expansion through the lower half of your ribcage when you inhale, so you really fill up your lungs. It sounds like you are breathing too shallowly (often the cause of side cramps, too), and only into the upper half of the thorax, making your chest lift to accommodate the air, rather than allowing the ribcage to broaden as well.

When I first started running I had similar chest wall pains - cramping intercostals being the most likely cause. I don't think I actually did anything different consciously, but the pain hasn't recurred since well before Christmas, so I'd guess that you'll simply get used to the deeper breaths over time.

I don't know to what extent you should try to actively control your breathing. It should be whatever's comfortable for you.

They always tried to get us to 'belly breathe' at running camp but I could never do it well. I find that when I start out running again or when I up the intensity I always get more respiratory pain than when I've been running at a certain intensity for awhile. I'd bet it's really just a lack of cardio conditioning.

Also, I went on a trail run yesterday, but got lost because I tried some new trails. This was pretty fun, except for the itchiness that resulted from running on overgrown trails. Also there were an absurd amount of hills. The combination of trails and hills really made my whole hip area sore.

I somehow managed to gain 3.4 pounds on our honeymoon! Yikes. Yes, it was all-inclusive, but we did a lot of Scuba diving, river stuff, beach stuff, ocean stuff...ah well. Time to crack back down.

I'm getting much better at jumping rope--it's my new favorite cardio, especially to intersperse with weight sets.

As promised, a few wedding pics. (Our camera went in the river on the second day of the honeymoon, so all I have are some tubing ones and one of the hotel room. Alas.)

If anyone is using Indian Clubs (power clubs) the type Scott Sonnon promotes, let me know. Places sell them and instruction manuals but no info on how to put a program together nor incorporate them into existing programs. I have a pair of 4kgs and a pair of 8kgs.

Whole fitness thing went out of the window this weekend as I went on a bit of a bender. I've drunk an obscene amount of alcohol.

Did you get any holes punched in your skin?

Archived