Football XX

Black Wizard

Surely how they are used to act in their domestic leagues affect how they act in European matches?

Yeah, but if the standard of refereeing in Europe is different from the domestic league and the Scandinavian leagues are refereed like the English one (which was Renasko's theory) then Scandinavian teams should be racking up a number of cards comparable to the English ones, right? I guess I'm simply not sure what point he was trying to make with that post.

Yeah, but if the standard of refereeing in Europe is different from the domestic league and the Scandinavian leagues are refereed like the English one (which was Renasko's theory) then Scandinavian teams should be racking up a number of cards comparable to the English ones, right? I guess I'm simply not sure what point he was trying to make with that post.

Given that Scotland, Ireland and England take the three sports following the top four Scandinavian, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here.

Given that Scotland, Ireland and England take the three sports following the top four Scandinavian, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here.

Okay, let me try to figure that out.;)

Renasko made some claims about referees in Spain (in particular) having different standards than those in Britain and Scandinavia and that somehow translating into more fair play points gathered during European games by Scandinavian teams. That didn't really make sense to me since the referees making the calls in European games would naturally be from all over Europe, so how does the refereeing in their homeleagues confer an advantage to them?

Incidentally Spain are only 0.045 points behind England in the ranking, and ahead of Wales (which, if it were a real place, would be British).

I was basing what I said on domestic fixtures, mainly, as not everyone plays in Europe. In these games, the referees are from the nation the games are being played. As far as the points system goes, I was under the assumption it was based mostly on the number of cards awarded against players in each team over the season. I didn't read any linked articles concerning it.

Good start to the final, surprisingly. Chelsea hit the woodwork three times, Piquionne missed a hard chance (that ball FLEW towards him) and Portsmouth have looked more lively than I thought Chelsea would allow them to.

Good first half, I thought. Chelsea are keeping the woodwork busily entertained. Amusing to see Stropba smack the post and crossbar in annoyance, after his last shot came off the post.

Pompey were surviving by the skin of their teeth until they missed their penalty. A pity. It's surprisingly hard to take a good penalty far into a really tiring match. I've been there myself before, especially in tournaments where you play 4 or 5 games over two days.

Portsmouth could have used Belhadj earlier in the game, he was more effective than Utaka. Chelsea deservedly win, but more down to physical dominance than flowing football. Nice to see Ballack get a taste of his own medicine for once. Terry is long overdue.

Who assigns the WC affiliations? I just noticed that everyone seems to have a random WC-related persona now. Is there a thread somewhere?

Who assigns the WC affiliations? I just noticed that everyone seems to have a random WC-related persona now. Is there a thread somewhere?

You can signup in the Sokker-Wêreldbekertoernooi in 2010 sub forum.

Archived