The Dany Like Thread

SingleMort

Whenever I go off into a little reverie about what's gonna happen to Dany next, I always assume that:

1. Other Westerosi characters are going to meet her, we'll finally see her through another POV's eyes, and that they're going to be really taken aback by how much of a well, barbarian she is.

And 2. That whether she wins the throne or not, that she's at least going to land in Westeros and find herself completely out of sync with everyone around her, and feels more at home with her retinue from across the sea. And it gives her a major reality check.

These two things have always been a sort of baseline for me simply because I cannot imagine how they would not happen. She's been moulded by Dothraki culture as much as any other.

I'm interested in not only how Westerosi characters react to Dany, but also how Dany, with her vaguely formed notions of "home," reacts to Westeros and whatever characters she encounters. I can see this being part of the scenario Datepalm describes.

Like I said earlier, I like that Dany is becoming this mutt of many cultures, with such a motley entourage of hangers-on. I see fascinating possibilities coming from this. I don't think it's possible this could brushed aside, either.

What do you think Dany and Tyrion will think of each other when they meet?

On one hand, I think Dany will really need the knowledge he has about dragons. On the other hand, she has gotten pretty pompous and arrogant lately (rattling off all her nine titles, using mannerisms like Viserys), so I can't wait to see the sarcastic Tyrion give her a long-overdue verbal smackdown.

Don't get me wrong though, she's still one of my favorite characters.

The meeting I'm looking forward to most, though, is a meeting between Dany and Jaime.

On one hand, I think Dany will really need the knowledge he has about dragons. On the other hand, she has gotten pretty pompous and arrogant lately (rattling off all her nine titles, using mannerisms like Viserys), so I can't wait to see the sarcastic Tyrion give her a long-overdue verbal smackdown.

Don't get me wrong though, she's still one of my favorite characters.

The meeting I'm looking forward to most, though, is a meeting between Dany and Jaime.

Those would both be interesting but for me it's when Dany meets Cersei.

Because isn't Dany supposed to be the one who brings about Cersei's downfall. At least that's what I thought. Unless she can't get out of her current predicament. I like both characters but it would be great to see Cersei go down. (I honestly didn't mean that in an oral sex way.)

I second that. Meeting the man who killed her father is definitely going to be an important moment for Dany. Probably going to be one of those scenes we all remember when the series is over. I wonder if she'll go all Inigo Montoya on Jaime....hallo, my name is Danerys Targaryen, you killed my father, prepare to die.

I hope she doesn't decide to use all her titles when saying that. It would give Jaime a little too much time to slip his sword between her ribs as she's spouting them all off.

:fencing:

Presuming that he's going to end up meeting her over in the East before she gets to Westeros - and indeed he's the catalyst for her invasion being successful:

I'm actually looking forward to this meeting purely to read current descriptions of them both. We have a vague idea of what Dany looks like from her own POV but it's sketchy. She seems to have oiled hair and wear very little clothes. I'd like to actually have a full picture through someone elses eyes. I suspect she looks more "foreign" than she thinks. She's probably brown as a berry, for example.

Similarly with Tyrion. We know what he looks like, but by the time he reaches Dany it'd be nice to get a refresher. I'd like to see if his scar is still red and angry, or looks old by now. And especially I'd be interested in his first impression on someone completely unprepared for such a strange looking, angry little dude.

It's one of the meetings in the books I'm most looking forward too actually.

Yeah, he'll start running his mouth off (of course). He'll probably be a little drunk. And she could react very agressively and become quite explosive. It'd be like two boxers testing each other out. It could be a really fascinating relationship.

I'm not one of those who think "Oh obviously Tyrion will fall in love with her". I think he'll be waaaaay too messed up for that. I actually think he won't want to go near women for a good while to come. And after all that happened with Shae, he's not going to go running after someone else that he knows couldn't really desire him.

So it could end up being one of those fascinating platonic friendships I love to read. Hopefully!

Thats something i definitely look forward too very much.

I think, apart from his knowledge of Dragons

-and it will be very, very, very interesting to see how they react to him - right?

He will be extremely useful to her in giving (if he wants too)

all the inside info on whole westeros and main players of the game.

And she needs a really cunning dastardly security counter intelligence chief anyway, very badly.

Im not too sure their meeting will happen soon because Martin promised to take him to some very dark places first.

Warlocks?

Faceless men?

Worse?

Anyway, that meeting is going to be awesome so much people will scream reading it.

And im hoping he will run into Arya too, yknow... that would also be very cool and interesting.

Thats something i definitely look forward too very much.

I think, apart from his knowledge of Dragons

-and it will be very, very, very interesting to see how they react to him - right?

He will be extremely useful to her in giving (if he wants too)

all the inside info on whole westeros and main players of the game.

And she needs a really cunning dastardly security counter intelligence chief anyway, very badly.

Anyway, that meeting is going to be awesome so much people will scream reading it.

And im hoping he will run into Arya too, yknow... that would also be very cool and interesting.

Hey this is supposed to be a Dany love thread, not Tyrion love! :P

Anyway I don't know what to think about Tyrion meeting Dany. He is one messed up individual right now - I'm not sure he'd have the best advice about anything. He's also hated by everyone in Westeros, given that he killed his own father before leaving, and "admitted" he killed the King also (even though this was a lie). He's not a regular exile like Barristan or Jorah. Not the kidn of person you really want with you if you plan to get nobles to join you. Although perhaps Dorne would be rather happy to see him. :P

I also hope Tyrion doens't "teach Dany all about training dragons." Give me a break, he read some books as a kid and he knows more about dragons than anyone else in the world? That's like me going back to the Jurassic, finding out there were actually humans present, then teaching them all about dinosaurs because I was obsessed as a kid. Very silly!

ANYWAY back to Daenerys! What's everyone's absolute favorite Dany scene, and why?

For me it's got to be Drogo's funeral. Holy. SHIT. I was completely hooked on asoiaf after that scene... I think it has to do with the fact that you, as the reader, are completely devastated - Dany has just lost everything. She has made mistakes that should have doomed her for all time. You are so with Jorah - just run away, try to start again somewhere else! Yet... she is so calm...? "Bring me my eggs...?" OMG SHE IS GOING TO...! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

By the way I do call my dog mother of dragons pretty often.

Favourite scene?

Mine would be in SoS when it looks like she is going to sell the dragon and the twist that followed.

btw: I was going to call this "The Dany Love Thread" but then I thought that people might think this was a thread for Dany's romantic ties, or worse that I'm in love with Dany.

Yeah, :) tyrion definetly went into very deep end, i dont think the meeting will took place right away and he has some very dark places ahead of him first, as ser George said.

But does anybody doubt its pure destiny?

Its just... too perfect.

She, all golden, tall and beautiful and so... Daenerys - with her monkey demon all twisted stunted and mutilated beside her.

And Dragons!

:owned:

Its so good.... Its a Song.

:leer:

btw i think chances Tyrion discoveres he is not really a biological son (though very much so in almost every other way) of Tywin are about 50-50.

Mt fave Dany scene is when you realise that she took Mereen by the sewers. It was the first time I realise that she was a strategist, rather than someone who just reacted.

I was pretty impressed!

I have an admission though - I never re-read Dany scenes. Why? It's a stupid reason. It's because there are too many character names and place names. I can't keep it all straight in my head. I get mixed up. So I just pass over it, and move onto the next chapter where the most pertinent threads will be followed up and some of the extraneous characters will have disappeared.

Crap, I know.

I also hope Tyrion doens't "teach Dany all about training dragons." Give me a break, he read some books as a kid and he knows more about dragons than anyone else in the world?

Yeah, I know what you're saying. And it's kinda deus ex machina that Tyrion is like, the first person Dany has met that has researched dragons and can control them. I mean, c'mon!

But I seriously think that that's the direction GRRM is headed in. God bless him if it's all a red herring and it doesn't turn out that way.

I concur with the above. I think that most likely it will be Marwyn who gives Dany all the information. He's an archmaester and has traveled a lot through the world, maybe he's even bringing some books/scrolls about dragons to show her (and if he's really smart, one about Targaryen kings as a personal gift to her ;) ). Tyrion does love dragons but at best he might be really helpful on designing dragon-saddles and giving a first hand (ha!) account about the life at court, the important people and the noble houses' intentions/ambitions, who can be bought, and so on.

So, in short, Dany is getting in her way a Hand, a maester, ships and a husband. Or so we think for now ;)

Mt fave Dany scene is when you realise that she took Mereen by the sewers. It was the first time I realise that she was a strategist, rather than someone who just reacted.

They had already discussed this with her ealier in the chapter so i wasn't that impressed.

I was impressed, on the other hand, by her dealing with the enemy army commanders, attacking at midnight before they were prepared was something a shrewd character like Stannis would do and i hand't thought Dany that clever before

Honestly I think some of martin's fans are just psycho like he says. i don't understand how some people hate characters like Sansa Catelyn Dany. it's one thing for them to be annoyed by the character from time to time but to actually hate them?!!! I see no reason for it. I'm shocked at how many people there are out there who are happy that Catelyn got slaughtered the way she did. I believe Martin's novel attracts the most intellectual and bad ass fantasy goers of all time. But I also think (please don't take this the wrong way) he attracts some really unhealthy nut job readers who really enjoy it when characters like Catelyn meet an end like that. and I'm sure that plenty of these nuts want Dany to have a similar end. And thats a crying shame. I hope this makes since. It's late at night and I could probably explain myself better but I'm lazy and want to play Donkey Kong on my super Nintendo. O and sorry for the horrible spelling.

ASOIAF attracts both smart people and mentally unhealthy wankers for some reason I don't know. I have read posts in this forum that say how Catelyn deserved to be slaughtered like a pig and that Sansa should be raped to death.

I've never seen another series of books, fantasy or no, that attracts this kind of people. Okay, Prince of Nothing was written by one of these guys but that's it.

Honestly I think some of martin's fans are just psycho like he says. i don't understand how some people hate characters like Sansa Catelyn Dany. it's one thing for them to be annoyed by the character from time to time but to actually hate them?!!! I see no reason for it. I'm shocked at how many people there are out there who are happy that Catelyn got slaughtered the way she did. I believe Martin's novel attracts the most intellectual and bad ass fantasy goers of all time. But I also think (please don't take this the wrong way) he attracts some really unhealthy nut job readers who really enjoy it when characters like Catelyn meet an end like that. and I'm sure that plenty of these nuts want Dany to have a similar end. And thats a crying shame. I hope this makes since. It's late at night and I could probably explain myself better but I'm lazy and want to play Donkey Kong on my super Nintendo. O and sorry for the horrible spelling.

Ok, Ill play the nut job for this one... This series is so good because it is not only fantasy fans that like it. I can honestly say im a so so fantasy fan.. I hate WOT, not a big fan of LOTR, currently reading maltazan series and losing intrest but will trudge on.. And all of those will not make the top 200 books I have read.. but ASOIF will be #1 series when its completed.

People who read other genres and im sure in this one as well are looking for a different approach to writing.. They are sick of seeing people like the Starks end up on top and get what they deserve because they are honorable... George makes it REAL no fluffy kittin and happy days.

Ok, Ill play the nut job for this one... This series is so good because it is not only fantasy fans that like it. I can honestly say im a so so fantasy fan.. I hate WOT, not a big fan of LOTR, currently reading maltazan series and losing intrest but will trudge on.. And all of those will not make the top 200 books I have read.. but ASOIF will be #1 series when its completed.

People who read other genres and im sure in this one as well are looking for a different approach to writing.. They are sick of seeing people like the Starks end up on top and get what they deserve because they are honorable... George makes it REAL no fluffy kittin and happy days.

Right, but the previous post was referring to Dany and Catelyn not the whole Stark family. And it's not really enough of an argument for me to not like the Starks simply because they are honorable (and would Arya really fit into that?) I mean I like plently of non honorable characters in the series but I don't like them simply because they are not honorable.

Either way as far as I can see that isn't really the heart of the argument for why people hate Dany and Cat.

ASOIAF attracts both smart people and mentally unhealthy wankers for some reason I don't know. I have read posts in this forum that say how Catelyn deserved to be slaughtered like a pig and that Sansa should be raped to death.

I've never seen another series of books, fantasy or no, that attracts this kind of people. Okay, Prince of Nothing was written by one of these guys but that's it.

I'm honestly curious: if you aren't a sadistic man or a masochistic woman, why would you read ASOIAF?

Archived