"Ethnic studies" banned in AZ

SwordoftheMorning

EDIT: I read through the list of MECHA objectives on the new website link you provided and I don't see any problem with any of these.

I don't know if you followed the links, but they linked to the National Constitution which I quoted from previously, and also to the founding documents that are considered "fundamental" to the organization. That includes references to the "brutal gringo invasion", etc. I'd suggest people follow those links on their own and see what they come up with.

Is your biggest complaint really that they foster a sense of cultural pride?

There's nothing wrong with cultural pride. But M.e.Ch.a explicitly endorses "cultural nationalism", and notes that its express goal is "politicization" of the "bronze peoples" to obtain control over "Aztlan".

By the way, there are other groups dedicated to the preservation of hispanic culture. M.e.Ch.a. is different in that it has a much more political orientation.

Pride leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate is the path to the Dark Side.

Actually, per Yoda fear leads to anger. (and also hate leads to suffering)

Double-check your Star Wars quotes, you should. ;)

Easily paraphrasing flows, quick to join you in a debate. If once you start down the dark path (of miss-quoting), forever will it dominate your destiny.

The only "easy" solution I've ever seen suggested is to maintain the status quo, which is not really supportable as"all together" either.

Maintaining the status quo is only easy on the dominant group.

i suspect you're suggesting a race-neutral pedagogy, then. please produce evidence that such is possible.

I can't produce real evidence, but based on the assumption that all humans are equal on the inside, no matter what they look like (aside from inner qualities like intelligence or upbringing - which might be correlated to race, but this still doesn't warrant racially separated pedagogy, only class-separation or intelligence-separation) I'd infer that white and black children of similar intelligence and upbringing would require more or less the same with regard to style of teaching and other pedagogical values.

Bluntly put, I don't see the slightest thing wrong with promoting ethnic unity. Its not like the dominant culture in this country hasn't encouraged ethnic divisions for centuries and it wasn't really that long ago that blacks were 3/5 of a person, things were "separate but equal," etc.

What is the solution to racism? Entitling everyone to pride in his own race, or abandoning the concept of race altogether and making skin color a personal trait nothing more relevant than hair color? I know, it takes some time (at least one generation) to accomplish the latter, you can't just say "we were racists until yesterday, but from tomorrow we're colorblind". But I still think newfound pride of the formerly oppressed races should only be a transitory stage on the way to a colorblind society. The problem I have with what I understand of CRT is that they completely forsake this long-time plan, see racism as an inevitable constant of human interactions and see the only solution to be countering it with racial pride. And this is what troubles me about it and why I understand the concern that teaching such theories in school might be detrimental to society.

Archived