Lost Season 6 Thread - The Final Countdown

Mya Stone

Or, you know, some of us had problems with the reveal that the sideways was purgatory because we found it really cheesy and because it came out of nowhere (finale foreshadowing aside) and doesn't fit with a lot of things we've seen in the flash sideways. I never wanted answers to every single question. I did want the final season to address mysteries which affected major plotlines or giant plotholes, because I want to rewatch the series and say that it works as a single cohesive story, as much as a TV show can. Very few people are saying they absolutely hated the finale. I sure as hell didn't- I'd give it a B- or a B or somewhere around there. But I do hate how anyone who has problems with it is being labelled by some as either an extreme nitpicker, constant whiner or someone with social problems. I've been a Lost defender through and through, love seasons 1-5 (including much criticized seasons like season 3) and even though I'm not entirely happy with the final season, there are some brilliant episodes in there, including last week's What They Died For. And I'm happy that there are people who enjoyed the finale absolutely and that it worked for them. So can people please stop with the condescending bullshit and address points (like many fans of the finale have done so far, eloquently and intelligently) rather than claiming that because we don't like an episode of TV you did we're sociopaths and whiners who don't like blowjobs or something?

And yep, definite fist bumps when Lapidus showed up. If any man in the world can survive being blown up in a sub, hang out in the water for a day and then fly a plane an hour later, it's Frank Motherfuckin' Chesty Lapidus.

I don't think people have a problem with people questioning the finale...it's more the people that are saying the finale was garbage and didn't answer anything, etc.

Those people are just grinding axes to grind axes.

There's a ton of peolpe in here and in every show thread who are perpetually bitching about everything.

Well, yeah, if you go from the assumption that it's the same people bitching in all the threads, it must seem like do they hate everything.

It's probably a more reasonable assumption that the people bitching in this thread are *not* the same that you have encountered in all those other threads (unless you can put specific names to them). You've probably hated a show or two and posted about it at some point, haven't you? So are you in the group of omni-haters yourself?

Just because someone criticizes a finale (which, no matter how you look at it has some major flaws once you take away the nostalgia factor), it's kind of a stretch to go from there to 'those people must hate everything'. Do we need to show credentials by listing the things in life that we like before we can validly criticize a TV episode with 5 flashback sequences that look like they're taken from a Danielle Steele movie?

Once again, as a parallel, I enjoyed the BSG finale for many of the same reasons that Lost fans seem to adore the Lost finale, but the idea that someone would hate it out of a general fondness for 'hating stuff' never occurred to me. In fact, I found it pretty damn understandable that people without the same emotional connection would loudly criticize it, and still do to this day. You might as well get used to the same thing happening with the Lost finale, now and henceforth, because no matter how you turn it, they did not 'nail it' for everyone.

I don't think people have a problem with people questioning the finale...it's more the people that are saying the finale was garbage and didn't answer anything, etc.

Yes and no. I personally don't care so much about what was answered as I do about what was called the 'saccharine' tone of it all, but at the same time, for those who do care about that stuff, there are some *really* valid criticisms of what wasn't answered, especially if you go back to early seasons and assume that what happened back then is still canon.

I think those types of complaints come off as irritating mostly to the people who had already realized that a lot of Lost's early mysteries would be unsolvable by the writers at this late point. Those who were still holding out hope are probably seen as 'out of the loop' by those who had already decided to settle for just a decent wrap-up and a highly emotional pay-off.

I heard on the radio the other day that more people watched the series finale of Mr. Belvedere than the series finale of Lost.

Sure there's DVR and 1,000 other channels today vs 20 years ago, but that's still pretty stunning to me.

I heard on the radio the other day that more people watched the series finale of Mr. Belvedere than the series finale of Lost.

Sure there's DVR and 1,000 other channels today vs 20 years ago, but that's still pretty stunning to me.

I wouldn't believe that, as it feels very out of perspective... One report. Another. The numbers might not be stellar in the grand scheme of things, but we're not talking about a Superbowl here.

Here's the listing about Mr. Belvidere, and a slew of other shows...and looking at that list, maybe three or four of those shows finished post 2000, let alone in the age of "serious cable" where competition from 500 gazillion channels also sucks up potential viewers. The List.

It's not really surprising at all, that top ratings are so far down, because the advent of cable and so many channels, plus internet streaming, etc., has made a huge impact.

Now, Lost was a little bit of a mixed bag in that three seasons ago, it was doing better than the finale did. But still, that's the best number it's posted in two years, so it's a qualified success.

Stop fucking whining.

Right back at ya + stop fucking gushing. At least the people bitching about stuff don't come across as slightly ridiculous when they start bitching about bitching.

I thought the point of art was to be be able to critique it? Not be told from on high that you have to like it without question.

I know you're not targeting me specifically (well, I hope so) but my comments on the finale aren't even that harsh and a lot of it was positive. I always give a reason for why I percieve a problem. You're usually a cool customer on the board, Shryke, sorry the lost finale has caused you to have a humour fail over your wonderful analogy.

On thread related news. The sideways afterlife thing is growing on me a lot, although i have yet to be fully convinced by Desmond's actions there. But thanks for those who are trying to convince me rather then whining.

You aren't getting the analogy.

There's a ton of peolpe in here and in every show thread who are perpetually bitching about everything. Nothing can made them happy as far as I've ever determined. Every nit must be picked, every piece of art complained about.'

Doesn't matter how good the blowjob is, it's never good enough and you gotta bitch about it.

Well to be fair, some people just watch these shows in order to show how witty they are when they complain about it on Internet message boards. It makes them feel special somehow. Ever visit televisionwithoutpity? I haven't checked it out in years, but when I did, some of it was funny. Most of it though, was sad. These fuckers continued to watch each and every week shows that they didn't like, just so that they could come up with 'witty' synopses of episodes.

Well to be fair, some people just watch these shows in order to show how witty they are when they complain about it on Internet message boards. It makes them feel special somehow.

On the other hand, you have to admit this fits you to a tee.

Right back at ya + stop fucking gushing. At least the people bitching about stuff don't come across as slightly ridiculous when they start bitching about bitching.

I thought the point of art was to be be able to critique it? Not be told from on high that you have to like it without question.

Good call.

Archived