Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

Figured I'd make this thread a tribute of sorts to the passing of a legend. Dio may be gone, but his music will continue to inspire generations to come to dress in black, grow their hair long, and bang their heads to some fucking heavy metal.

I feel like I've been really removed from metal for the past few months. My job has me working an insane schedule, and I don't think I've listened to anything new in about two months, which is a huge departure from my previous habit of multiple new albums a week before. One album I will not be missing when it comes out in a couple weeks is the new Nevermore album, The Obsidian Conspiracy. Early reviews are equally as positive as they were for their previous albums, which means we'll have yet another classic album from Warrel and Jeff and company. It seriously seems like these guys can do no wrong, but I'll have to wait and listen.

What else has come out recently? I've been checking the release calendar available at Invisible Oranges, but not much has really jumped out at me that I recognized. And like I said, I haven't had the time to dig for new bands.

All Glory to a New Thread!

I've been checking out some new bands and new releases for 2010, but I'll be damned if I can remember any of them right now (I have a gnarly headache for some reason). I'm curious about the new Nevermore and will probably get it at some point.

Hail.

Nevermore. Damn. Somehow, I must be one of the few people who didn't manage to get into them at all. Everyone else loves them or at least listens to them casually. I personally find their vocals too lyrical and the riffage too frigid for my tastes. I tried about 3/4ths of the tracks on This Godless Endeavor, but none of them hooked me. Possibly I've just chosen the wrong songs to get me started, so there is still chance that I might start digging their music. If anyone can suggest a more appropriate starter, go ahead, and I'll give it a try. :)

Hail.

Nevermore. Damn. Somehow, I must be one of the few people who didn't manage to get into them at all. Everyone else loves them or at least listens to them casually. I personally find their vocals too lyrical and the riffage too frigid for my tastes. I tried about 3/4ths of the tracks on This Godless Endeavor, but none of them hooked me. Possibly I've just chosen the wrong songs to get me started, so there is still chance that I might start digging their music. If anyone can suggest a more appropriate starter, go ahead, and I'll give it a try. :)

I'd suggest the album "Dreaming Neon Black" for what is perhaps the most classic album by them. They are very lyrical, but I love Warrell Dane's voice. Another album that you could try is "Enemies of Reality". It is a much grittier album with really rough production but also great melodies at times. The only album I don't absolutely love is their self-titled, and I still enjoy it. This Godless Endeavor did have a few songs I didn't love, but I loved "The Psalm of Lydia", "Sentient 6", "Born", and "Final Product" and the rest ranged from good to pretty great, IMO.

^ Thanks, will look into those. :)

This must have been discussed already in previous threads, but who is going to see the Big Four this summer? I am lucky to be a resident of one of the few countries that are going to get hit by them. :D So I'm bracing for quite possibly the best day of my life yet. Yeah... just wanted to share. :)

Figured I would share

It's a 3 min video with a guy playing 10 genres of metal in a somewhat coherent way. Not sure if it is old news. Anyways, not sure I agree with the Death metal one? How about you? Judging from his other videos, he doesn't seem to play that genre, usually.

Thinking about showing it to some friends who vehemently argue "all metal sounds the same".

Also, me and some friends consider seeing the Big Four in Poland, but we left the planning and arranging to the one who is notorious for just tagging along. He is the one who really wants to go, but since he now has to actually do some arrangements himself, we will see. My wallet will be relieved if it is a no go, but would be really cool if we end up going.

^ That's a pretty good interpretation actually! Yes, the Death Metal part is debatable, but I'd say it's "ok". Typically Death Metal bands tend to get progressive with the passing of time, and I think his interpretation is applicable to the non-progressive DM bands.

The Heavy Metal part wasn't very representative. Yes, the Heavy Metal label is very generic, but he could've made a better attempt.

Dunno much about Metalcore, but I thought the last part was more Groove Metal-like.

Everything else is spot on. It would be interesting to see him do some other popular genres like Symphonic, Groove, etc.

Figured I would share

It's a 3 min video with a guy playing 10 genres of metal in a somewhat coherent way. Not sure if it is old news. Anyways, not sure I agree with the Death metal one? How about you? Judging from his other videos, he doesn't seem to play that genre, usually.

Thinking about showing it to some friends who vehemently argue "all metal sounds the same".

Also, me and some friends consider seeing the Big Four in Poland, but we left the planning and arranging to the one who is notorious for just tagging along. He is the one who really wants to go, but since he now has to actually do some arrangements himself, we will see. My wallet will be relieved if it is a no go, but would be really cool if we end up going.

That's a pretty sweet video. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping for some Doom at the end and instead we got some shitty metalcore. As for the death metal section, I think it was fine. Not the most brutal, of course, but I'd put it in the death metal camp. I had more of an issue with the prog section, as it wasn't filled with nearly enough guitar wankery.

That's a pretty sweet video. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping for some Doom at the end and instead we got some shitty metalcore. As for the death metal section, I think it was fine. Not the most brutal, of course, but I'd put it in the death metal camp. I had more of an issue with the prog section, as it wasn't filled with nearly enough guitar wankery.

I don't know i thought i could see some DT in his orgasm face at the end.

I have just bought my Sonisphere ticket. :) I'll be getting the coach from Dundee at 2:50am on Friday 30th July in order to get to Knebworth in time for the campsite opening at midday. I'm looking forward to this so much now. :D I'll get to see Iron Maiden for the third time - they're the main reason I'm going.

Figured I would share

that was pretty sweet. but, i agree the death metal part was not as 'deathy' as i would have wanted. but, still very good. the man is a very fine guitarist.

That video makes me smile. I think it did a pretty good job with all the subgenres -- the DM wasn't very brutal, but it did a decent job reducing it to the essential flavor. Same with progressive -- because some of the progressive-hybrid bands aren't guitar wanktastic (think progressive black or progressive death), I think the progressive section took what was common to all of those subgenres rather than focusing on the worst excesses of straight-up progressive metal. The folk metal part was great.

What's cool about the video, is it, at least to me, really shows how the drums and bass tweak the genre and are almost more responsible for the shift in style than the guitar work.

Awesome vid.

I'd suggest the album "Dreaming Neon Black" for what is perhaps the most classic album by them. They are very lyrical, but I love Warrell Dane's voice. Another album that you could try is "Enemies of Reality". It is a much grittier album with really rough production but also great melodies at times. The only album I don't absolutely love is their self-titled, and I still enjoy it. This Godless Endeavor did have a few songs I didn't love, but I loved "The Psalm of Lydia", "Sentient 6", "Born", and "Final Product" and the rest ranged from good to pretty great, IMO.

That's what everyone would tell me, I just could not get into them, Saw them live and they were ok.

^ Thanks, will look into those. :)

This must have been discussed already in previous threads, but who is going to see the Big Four this summer? I am lucky to be a resident of one of the few countries that are going to get hit by them. :D So I'm bracing for quite possibly the best day of my life yet. Yeah... just wanted to share. :)

Not the big 4 but american carnage in the summer !!!!

You miserable lucky bastards on the U.S. West Coast.

Slough Feg and Gates of Slumber are touring in May/June.

MAY

05/28 – Seattle, WA @ Comet Tavern (w/THE GATES OF SLUMBER)

05/29 – Vancouver, BC/Canada @ Red Room (w/THE GATES OF SLUMBER)

05/30 – Portland, OR @ East End (w/THE GATES OF SLUMBER)

JUNE

06/01 – San Francisco, CA @ Thee Parkside (w/THE GATES OF SLUMBER, Black Cobra)

06/02 - Boyle Heights, CA @ The Blvd (w/THE GATES OF SLUMBER)

06/04 – Ramona, CA @ Ramona Mainstage (w/THE GATES OF SLUMBER)

06/05 – Las Vegas, NV @ Cheyenne Sloon (Doom In June Fest)

*cries*

Archived