Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

i quite liked the new maiden song, but im not the biggest maiden fan and more just a casual fan. Although i do wish i could see them in vancouver, im sure it would be a blast even if they didn't play my favourite song, Bring your daughter to the slaughter.

As for the Maiden tickets. Yes. I always love to see Bruce and company. The new song does not excite me, but at this point they are what they are.

Currently giving the new Nevermore a first listen on You Tube - The Obsidian Conspiracy

Sounds a little more mellow than previous albums, like they are trying to capture that Dead Heart sound. :dunno:

Oh damn, I need to get the new Nevermore album. I've been so damn busy getting my boss fired that I forgot about it.

Although I have been listening to one of the best power metal albums I've heard since Sabaton's "The Art of War", and that is Sinbreed's "When Worlds Collide". It is like Dragonforce with balls and talent, but not quite as caught up in the absolute need for speed. I had another comparison that was maybe a bit more apt, but I've forgotten it. Try "Salvation", "The Book of Life", and "When Worlds Collide".

Incredibly Tardy Update: :)

Picked up some metal today:

Baroness - The Blue Record (Haven't listened to it yet)

Drop everything you are doing and give this a listen. I can't say enough about this album.

Drop everything you are doing and give this a listen. I can't say enough about this album.

I guess I put Baroness in the same category as Mastodon, meaning a band that is critically a hit and a lot of people like, and I can appreciate as decent enough music, but I just don't "get". I do enjoy this album, but it doesn't seem to me to be as amazing as lots of other people. I guess it might just be a new direction for metal that I haven't acclimated to.

I guess I put Baroness in the same category as Mastodon, meaning a band that is critically a hit and a lot of people like, and I can appreciate as decent enough music, but I just don't "get". I do enjoy this album, but it doesn't seem to me to be as amazing as lots of other people. I guess it might just be a new direction for metal that I haven't acclimated to.

What direction is that?

As for the new Maiden song, it's rather boring. And I saw the setlist for their current tour and it's complete crap. Anyone wants a pair of tickets for Montreal? <_<

When you say "crap", what do you mean?

I'm gonna have to agree with you. I found them boring and the vocalist was completely forgettable.

As for the new Maiden song, it's rather boring. And I saw the setlist for their current tour and it's complete crap. Anyone wants a pair of tickets for Montreal? <_<

When you say "crap", what do you mean?

Just before anything else about the setlist is posted can we have some spoiler tags please? I'm seeing them at Sonisphere and I want to wait ill then to find out about it.

have tickets for the NYC show and I hope they change the set list by then

What direction is that?

I'd say it is very groove-oriented, stoner-ish metal. I hesitate to use the word "commercialized", but in some ways it is apt. But that carries the connotation that anything that is commercial is "bad", which isn't true. Or at least it is theoretically possible that the world could wake up and all decide to buy the new Watain album, but that isn't likely. It is metal that is being pushed more towards mainstream consumption though, and while that doesn't make it bad, I don't really care for the direction.

ETA:

So I got the new Nevermore album and a few others, and I haven't had much of a chance to listen to them yet, but I do have a confession. This is the first time I've ever listened to Necrophagist or Watain, and I feel like a really bad metalhead because of that. Partially because I'm loving what I've listened to so far, partly because I knew I'd love this stuff all along, and partly because I feel not listening to these bands must be the same as being a history buff and knowing nothing about the Revolutionary War.

ETA:

So I got the new Nevermore album and a few others, and I haven't had much of a chance to listen to them yet, but I do have a confession. This is the first time I've ever listened to Necrophagist or Watain, and I feel like a really bad metalhead because of that. Partially because I'm loving what I've listened to so far, partly because I knew I'd love this stuff all along, and partly because I feel not listening to these bands must be the same as being a history buff and knowing nothing about the Revolutionary War.

I think maybe if you don't listen to Judas Priest or Slayer or Sabbath or BOC you're a history buff that doesn't know anything about the Revolutionary War. Maybe if you're talking strictly black metal you might put Celtic Frost or Bathory in that category, maybe add, I dunno, Gorgoroth or Mayhem or Darkthrone. Those guys are like... the Civil War.

I think maybe not listening to Watain makes you a history buff that doesn't know anything about the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii by the pineapple industry-backed Annexation Club in 1893. Except Sanford Dole wasn't a neo-nazi.

New Nevermore has hooked me good. :thumbsup:

And I will officially come out of the metal closet today and say that I have never listened to Watain. I am currently correcting that. I have 20gigs free on my mp3 player. Must correct over the summer.

I think maybe if you don't listen to Judas Priest or Slayer or Sabbath or BOC you're a history buff that doesn't know anything about the Revolutionary War. Maybe if you're talking strictly black metal you might put Celtic Frost or Bathory in that category, maybe add, I dunno, Gorgoroth or Mayhem or Darkthrone. Those guys are like... the Civil War.

I think maybe not listening to Watain makes you a history buff that doesn't know anything about the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii by the pineapple industry-backed Annexation Club in 1893. Except Sanford Dole wasn't a neo-nazi.

I'd say that for the stuff I have listened to and the metal I enjoy, those bands should have been listened to by me long ago. The average metalhead, no, but most people would have expected me to.

let me ask what didn't you like

Vocals were blah and the music itself wasn't terribly memorable.

Usually I give bands a few listens before I make any decisions, but as of right now, I don't care much for them.

Maiden setlist

Some good, some meh, but nice to see a different selection for once. I'm sure it'll still be a damn good show.

As someone that really likes their newer output, I give this a gold star. :)

Set-list spoiler:

Unfortunately, from what I've read, it looks like No More Lies and Brave New World will be mainstays in most sets while Paschendale and Brighter than a Thousand Suns won't, which sucks because NML and BNW are terrible songs. Paschendale and BtaTS are two of my favorites so I hope I get to see them.

Archived