Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

^ ugh, no.

NML and BNW are among their finest songs. How can you not like them? :o Paschendale is maybe even better, but it sure doesn't demean them.

NML and BNW suffer from extensive 'repeating chorus syndrome' (a problem that plagues a lot of the newer Maiden tunes). I'd like the songs if not for that, but they just get on my nerves.

I was about to post a link to the setlist but someone beat me to it. So hopefully now you understand why I say it's crap.

I do! I don't know if I'd call it "crap" myself, but it's far from my ideal playlist.

Still probably go see them, though. UP THE IRONS!

anyone go see the big 4 in the movies?

my 2 cent review

Anthrax sounded great and joey can still sing, they did are really cool dio tribute and played the hits. Scott was all over the place and they pumped the croud up.

megadeth also sounded great, daves voice was bad with any of the high notes (now let the tourture begin) but was good with stuff like sweating bullets. He did not look good at all, might be the long tour and age. The band was tight and didn't miss a note, he can sure play man. Chris is a monster, and he looked overjoyed just to be part of it.

Slayer. I am not a huge fan but can respect what they do. They also played the hits and put on a good shot. Like chris tom looked like he was having a blast just being part of it. Jeff and kerry can shred. Funny when they were playing reign in blood the cround looked like a Nazi rally

Metallica. I had forgotten how good they really are. James sounded really good for his age, kirk did a little wankery at the end of each song but it fit. They had the croud going and amped and the true high light of it all everyone (well except kerry) came out for am i evil and they all took turns at vocals. I was blown away.

wish list: do america

For those into MDM Soilworks new Album "The Panic Broadcast" is due released in Europe on 2nd July.

There is about 5 tracks leaked onto youtube from it, and it's shaping up to be one of their best albums to date, in line with A Predators Potrait and Natural Born Chaos. It's really sounding that good. Especially with Peter back on guitar.

Edit: Here is their best song (IMO) from the upcoming I've heard so far, called "Deliverance is mine" just amazing.....

http://www.youtube.c...tkmnLJSlk&fmt18

• 2 weeks later...

Blood Revolt :thumbsup:

From their own website:

Blood Revolt, the collective made up of A.A. Nemtheanga, C. Ross and J. Read, have determined that the time draws near to record their debut album. Utilizing tactics from all forms of metal and collectively drawing on the members combined experience of over 30 releases in the underground, the band has constructed a monument to the lone wolf who calmly waits to attack. Expect nothing less than cold reality.

This is absolute and there is nowhere to hide.

Where was I when this was announced? Apparently the album is due out in about a month depending on where you live.

It is simply too goddamned hot to write reviews. Here, some brief tidbits:

Black Breath -- it's fucking moronic, but the music crushes. Like GWAR, but the band seems to take itself seriously. Musical reference: Austrian Death Machine

Acrassicauda -- Anyone who likes thrash should give this one a try. I can't stop listening.

Fear My Thoughts -- Why I got this is anyone's guess. If you love melodeath and you love brutal death metal like Benighted, you're going to fucking love this. I basically waver between "that's a fucking heavy riff" (when they sound like a progressive Benighted) and "this fucking sucks" (when they're in deathcore mode).

• 2 weeks later...

I may be one of the biggest Iron Maiden fans, but this new song/video is pretty fucking bad. I can handle a little cheese from my ole favorite rockers, but this song is simply boring. Not to mention a really distracting video. What happened?

The Final Frontier (Where have I heard that title before? <_< )

I may be one of the biggest Iron Maiden fans, but this new song/video is pretty fucking bad. I can handle a little cheese from my ole favorite rockers, but this song is simply boring. Not to mention a really distracting video. What happened?

Yeah, not a fan.

Saw Maiden/DT last night at Tinley Park. Great show. My first time seeing both bands and I was really impressed. Maiden put on a killer show and even the songs I didn't care for (No More Lies!) were awesome. DT was great too, really makes me want to see them when they're headlining.

I'm thinking Star Trek. Iron Maiden have never made good videos, they've always been on the cheesey side. They'll never make music videos as bad as Hammerfall though. I was listening to 'El Dorado' a couple of times the other day and the song is growing on me. It's quite clear though that as Bruce's voice gets deeper the riffs are getting heavier. And it's 12 days till I see them! :bowdown:

I saw Sepultura last night. It was a fantastic show. The crowd was one of the roughest I've ever been in with pits pretty much all the way through, but I somehow manager to get to the front. At the end Paulo gave me a plectrum and the setlist. ^_^

Going to sort out my tickets for the Never Say Die tour in Birmingham this week :D. Great line-up for me. Parkway Drive, Bleeding Through, Comeback Kid, Emmure, Your Demise and We Came as Romans. Not often you get a gig where you like all 6 bands! Probably no one heres cup of tea though.

Hour of Penance -- The Vile Conception

Fantastic brutal death metal. Vocals are interesting, the riffs are properly heavy and while there's the requisite brutality, there's also a fair bit of complexity in the songwriting. One caveat: the drums are super-sterile due to the production and sample chosen for the drum triggers. If something like that is a deal-killer, then you're probably not going to like this album.

Angst Skvadron -- Sweet Poison

Avant garde/post-black metal that isn't wanktastic, and is still more metal than not. I never thought I'd hear something like that, considering all of the utter shite being released under the "post-metal" umbrella. Anyway, this is strongly atmospheric (they give it a 50s B-movie vibe by getting some theremin-type sounds in the background of some of the songs) black metal with raspy vocals. I've only just gotten this album, so jury is still out officially, but I've really enjoyed it the few times I've listened to it.

Archived