The Monarchies of God

Azmure

ASOIAF with guns is the perfect description. I'm going to use that when trying to describe the series to people.

My point about Kearney's stronger than usual characterisation comes down to the fact that his characters manage to feel individual and believable (to me at any rate) in a way that, say, Erikson's don't, despite the far greater number of pages that Erikson spends building up his characters. No, they're not quite on the same level of psychological realism as Martin's, but in terms of believability I think they're streets ahead of most epic fantasy.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what changes Kearney has made to Ships from the West for the new edition?

ASOIAF with guns is the perfect description. I'm going to use that when trying to describe the series to people.

My point about Kearney's stronger than usual characterisation comes down to the fact that his characters manage to feel individual and believable (to me at any rate) in a way that, say, Erikson's don't, despite the far greater number of pages that Erikson spends building up his characters. No, they're not quite on the same level of psychological realism as Martin's, but in terms of believability I think they're streets ahead of most epic fantasy.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what changes Kearney has made to Ships from the West for the new edition?

Abeleyn's death isn't quite so insanely abrupt and Hawkwood's death has been rewritten. There's also some other changed material and about 15,000 words of additions.

Thanks Werthead. Now I'm rather intrigued (and will definitely have to buy a copy of the omnibus when it gets released). Nothing really bothered me too much in Ships from the West, although certain things did seem rushed. I wonder if much of the 15,000 words of new material will be used to fill in more details of the 17-year gap?

Even if every book ha dan extra 150 pages added to it, and it was turned into a trilogy, it would still be a bit tight... Im going to buy the first one, but how can a book so short really be that good?

You take a standard epic fantasy book, you remove the bloat, and there you have the same page count.

Im reading book 1 right now and it is very, very good, but i still think that each book could be just a little longer :D

Finished book 2 and waiting impatiently for book 3.

I must admit the books are absolutely amazing, but i still think books 1 and 2 could be a hundred pages longer or so - i dont think we see enough of Corfe, at all.

Talking of which, while im pretty sure that Hawkwood and Corfe are abviously 2 of the main characters, who are the others? Its not exactly clear who the other 'main' characters and protagonists are, Abelyn? (if he isnt dead) Bardolin? Corfes wife? (Heria, who we saw about 2 or 3 times), or who? Im just a bit confused :D

Corfe is much more the focus of the last three books. Many of the other POV characters like Abelyn, Golophin, Hawkwood, Heria, Issola, and the two monks play more supporting roles, but they do get appearances.

Lol :)

I do that too sometimes

Anyway, im quite pissed. I ordered books 3,4, and 5, and now i have in total books 1,2,4, and 5... and im waiting impatiently for book 3. Which makes me wants to glance at books 4 and 5, which will spoil it all :P

Just finished book 3 and 4 in the space of about 3-4 hours.

I havnt cried at a book in years, but to be honest, the ending of book 4 did come pretty close :crying:

The last 2 pages, in the epilogue is what i mean, and the last few paragraphs of the very last page....

:crying:

I'm really looking forward to this release. To my shame I only heard about this author a few weeks back from reading this post and I've gotta say I'm quite excited now. The Monarchies of God sounds just like my sort of series. Lucky for me the release is only a month away :) Normally when I find a new series it's with a first or second novel and I have to wait for more (which I'm not entirely fond of doing as my memory is terrible and I often have to reread the previous books before each new release.)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the heads up, I'm not entirely sure how I missed out on Kearney but I'm kinda glad I did. Now I've got a lot of good reading ahead of me this summer :)

Sorry if this has already been answered but is there any approximate release date for a finished/ominibus version of Sea beggars?

Not yet. Paul and Solaris are still trying to get the rights back off Bantam, and they're not playing ball. If he has to wait for the rights to revert automatically, it could still be a few years.

I just finished Pauls 'The Ten Thousand' and i must say it was amazing. A bit different from most mainstream fantasy... and definately a setup for sequels.

Although i find myself thinking that an entire series could be written in that world, and The Ten Thousand would make an amazing prequel to them.

Anyway. Amazing book, and i cant wait for Corvus.

Ending of tTT was sad though.

DAMN YOU ARISTOS! /shakes fist in air :angry2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've wanted to read this series for years but I never was able to lay my hands on a copy, it's a great thing it will be re-released. The series originally had 5 books and now will be published in two books, am I right?

Or will the fifth book be released apart from the rest, as it had to be rewritten partly?

Archived