NFL Offseason (cont.)

Mya Stone

Raiders seeking $9.55 million refund from Jamarcus for sucking (kind of). At this point, I kinda feel bad for the kid. (I don't think I'm kidding.)

Can't they just admit that they fucked that deal up?

Is "my bad" really not in Vampire Al's vocab?

I don't feel an ounce of pity for Jabustus. He held out in his first season, never worked at his job, never seemed to care. Even if the Raiders get $10 million back, Russell still made $22 million for fuck-all. Fuck him right in his fatty fat ear.

I don't feel an ounce of pity for Jabustus. He held out in his first season, never worked at his job, never seemed to care. Even if the Raiders get $10 million back, Russell still made $22 million for fuck-all. Fuck him right in his fatty fat ear.

Fuck. This reaction made me realize I'm totally losing my hardcore New England attitude. Maybe it was living in CA for so long, or maybe it's because I live with a fucking Raiders fan. Dammit!!!!!

Yeah! Fuck Fatty! Fuck him! A diet of Del Taco and In-N-Out isn't that expensive that you need almost 10 million dollars.

Ok, I feel better.

I still feel like they paid him money, they shouldn't ask for it back. I may be oversimplifying it, but isn't his bust also the Raiders fault? I would point out that Davis reached so high for him for NO reason, and then proceeded to not surround him with decent...anything.

I still feel like they paid him money, they shouldn't ask for it back. I may be oversimplifying it, but isn't his bust also the Raiders fault? I would point out that Davis reached so high for him for NO reason, and then proceeded to not surround him with decent...anything.

Mya, do you think hyperbaric chambers are free? If Al Davis is going to continue to cheat death and live on for another century or two, he needs to recoup every last dime from those failed investments and continue to replenish his stockpiles of infant blood and dry ice.

File Photo (circa 2006)

Mya, do you think hyperbaric chambers are free? If Al Davis is going to continue to cheat death and live on for another century or two, he needs to recoup every last dime from those failed investments and continue to replenish his stockpiles of infant blood and dry ice.

File Photo (circa 2006)

Oh. My. God.

I am going to have nightmares for a week. That is a TERRIFYING picture. :lol:

But seriously, guys - do you think they have a chance at recouping this money? Kris just said to me that he thinks that Al Davis might win if they say that Russell did not come prepared or remotely in shape to camp, practice, or the games.

(I mean, I would have loved to sue Russell for my first Experts League team sucking because he was my QB2, but I know I fucked up the draft and can not take it out on a QB who had proven that he would rather pound down some burgers and fries instead of completing a pass to anyone other than the Burger King.)

On a sidenote, Al Davis is everything I hate about the state of California. Sue-happy M-Fers.

he certainly has physical tools
He certainly was a physical tool.

Seriously - did anyone actually believe he'd be good in the NFL other than the Raiders? I feel like they kinda got bullied into taking him. He had one okay season at LSU, and that made him apparently the #1 pick. Craziness.

That being said, the Raiders ain't got nothing on him. It's pretty clear Russell is in the right, especially after being released.

Seriously - did anyone actually believe he'd be good in the NFL other than the Raiders? I feel like they kinda got bullied into taking him. He had one okay season at LSU, and that made him apparently the #1 pick. Craziness..

I do realize that you did not want to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player. Get over it.

Seriously - did anyone actually believe he'd be good in the NFL other than the Raiders? I feel like they kinda got bullied into taking him. He had one okay season at LSU, and that made him apparently the #1 pick. Craziness.

Jamarcus Russell Pre-draft Hype: A collection of quotes from the "experts" leading up to the 2007 draft. Looking back on that draft (one the Patriots bombed) it was not the deepest of drafts, but I agree that the Raiders were definitely pushed in his direction.

While I don't know all the details of the contract, it seems the future spokesman for Nutrisystem is going to hang on to his money. His hold out and overpayment is something all the owners will point to as they try to put together a new deal with the players union. Rewarding a player for doing well in college is not working.

Lendale White gone. . . and reportedly facing a four game drug suspension. :thumbsdown:

"It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks," general manager John Schneider said.

If he can't make it with Pappa Pete, where can he make it? Running backs are expendable. Mediocre running backs even more so.

In other news my Patriots resigned Derrik Burgess. They just weren't ready to say good bye and admit a mistake. Or hand the team over to walk-ons, unproven 2009 picks, or rookies just yet. Playing both DE and OLB, he is still better than what they currently have, at least as a rusher.

• 2 weeks later...

My dream of dreams is for an active player to break the solidarity of the players union when talking about these scandals. They all say the same refrain of "we live in 24 hr, news cycle" or "we are targets and have to be careful" just once i would like to see the following:

ESPN Reporter "what is your reaction to the Big Ben story"

Fictitious player from a rival team "He sounds like a scumbag. As a father of two daughters, it petrifies me that there are sexual predators out there who feel they are above the law, just because they play a pro sport. My heart goes out to that woman, and I think the league should make a statement that this behavior is not tolerated. I hope he gets banned for life. Moreover, I hope he goes to prison. Douchebags like him give us all a bad name, and I'm sick of it"

That would just make me uber-happy.

The entire LenDale White deal has me in stitches. I love what Petey is doing in Seattle, spurning his former players (passing over Mays and now this), and drafting and heaping praise upon a player from a rival team (former Irish wide receiver Golden Tate).

• 2 weeks later...

There is one thing I will say for the Patriots- yeah they may be aging; they have no semblance of a running game; their #1 WR had a career threatening injury last season, and their D was pitiful, but, hey, at least they have a dependable offensive line and have avoided contract problems this off season...

... oh wait. Nevermind

Gah, I can't stand the spoiled baby attitude of some of these guys.

"waaaahhhh, they only offered me $6.48 million dollars a year to play a game for maybe 30 minutes once a week for five months a year, waaaaaaaahh."

Fucking prima donna fucks deserve their used car salesman careers after the NFL spits them out.

Rock, Patriots arn't the only ones in that boat, so deep breath time on the sky is falling talk.

Rex Ryan has a headache of his own. -- ESPN

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis' contract dispute with the New York Jets took a sharp turn toward ugly Monday, when the All-Pro cornerback admitted he removed himself from a minicamp practice as a form of protest.

"Sat out for a little bit just to let them know I can play or I can't play," said Revis, who escalated the one-sided war of words by claiming the Jets' latest contract proposal was an "insult" because it contained no guaranteed money.

As for getting older it is called birthdays, but the Patriots are one of the younger teams with 24 players from 2009 and 2010. Every team needs a good mix of young and old. We'll see how that works out between now and the beginning of the season. No doubt the Patriots are doing some rebuilding/retooling/rearming. Whatever they want to call it. I like watching competition. It should be fun.

So, Haynesworth is sitting out mandatory minicamp in the hopes of forcing a trade. I guess $22 million guaranteed this offseason isn't enough to get a selfish prick of a DT to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. All because he now would have to play for his teammates rather than his own statline and sack total. My general thought on $22 million is that you do whatever the fuck the team tells you to do. If they want you to be a waterboy at that price, you suck it up and do that. Darnell Dockett had a nice quote to that effect. This guy is a piece of shit. I convinced myself to see the silver lining when the Skins signed up because I figured at least they were finally blowing their money on an elite player rather than mediocre guys they paid like elite players. I knew this guy was ass, though I thought it was more rage issues than having TO "me first and me second" syndrome. I don't care how talented a guy is, you can't win with players who put themselves before the team.

I haven't been this furious at a DC athlete since...fuck, I don't know when. I can put up with guys who don't live up to their contracts, and there's been many, I can't put up with guys who refuse to even try. The Skins deserve to lose all the guaranteed they blew on this guy but I'd like to see Haynesworth get majorly fucked somehow some way.

Agree, his conduct has been really low. The stones it takes to take the money and then ask for a trade are kind of unbelievable. I hope the Skins get their cash back; even though I do think they might deserve to get screwed due to their operational philosophy, this is a little ridiculous.

The media has been hammering him. There have been a few players holding out, or feeling "disrespected" from Revis and Mankins to Lynch and Chris Johnson but Haynesworth seems to have surpassed them all in suckitude and selfishness. I'm sure someone will trade for him probably Tennessee, but I hope his career continues its decline.

You never hear about players giving money back for poor performance.

In other news, also about money. The league and owners are pushing ahead with the 18 games.

"This is an idea that is really gaining momentum, particularly with the owners," Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy said on a conference call.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/06/16/season.ap/index.html#ixzz0r4hzRKp6

Yes, owners. But definitely not with players. Their excuse is that no one likes preseason so we need to get rid of 2 games and add 2 regular games. The problem is that they are not making enough money from preseason games despite charging full price for tickets. Owners are suggesting everything from a developmental league to a larger roster. I say leave things alone. As much as I love football keep it at 16 games. Preseason is important part for of developing a roster. If you want to cut a game, fine. But listen to your players.

"If fans want to show their love, they should let everyone know that we are not machines," Lewis told the NFL Players Association's web site. "I’ve been blessed to play this game for so long, but it’s time to start thinking about what legacy and impact changes like this will leave for the players of tomorrow and us after we retire."

-- Ray Lewis

Facebook - Keep NFL Season 16 Games

The stones it takes to take the money and then ask for a trade are kind of unbelievable.

Yeah, exactly. Impressive job cornering the moral lowground there Albert. Grow some fucking principles.

It's galling. Even moreso if the rumors are true that Shanahan had said the team would pay the $22 million (instead of cutting him which I know he was strongly considering) only if he agreed to attend all team activities. Really hope it's true so the team has some ammunition when the NFLPA inevitably takes up the fight for this demonstrable scumbag*.

*Who's loathed by just about all his teammates. Three, including London Fletcher, have already spoken out against him which is super rare in contract disputes.

In other news, also about money. The league and owners are pushing ahead with the 18 games.

Yes, owners. But definitely not with players. Their excuse is that no one likes preseason so we need to get rid of 2 games and add 2 regular games. The problem is that they are not making enough money from preseason games despite charging full price for tickets. Owners are suggesting everything from a developmental league to a larger roster. I say leave things alone. As much as I love football keep it at 16 games. Preseason is important part for of developing a roster. If you want to cut a game, fine. But listen to your players.

Facebook - Keep NFL Season 16 Games

As much as I, as an NFL fan, would love 18 regular season games I do think Brady and Lewis have a point about what this would do to the players. They're already the walking wounded after 16 games, I think 18 may push them still further over the edge of the kind of abuse a body can take. Increases the chances that the Superbowl winning team is merely the healthiest rather than the best.

There's also the perfect symmetry that exists right now with a 16 game schedule and a 32 team league and how it lines up every year.

The one thing I definitely would like about the proposal is if it's a ploy to get the NFLPA to the negotiating platform to avoid a lockout. Like the owners will agree to go back to the 16 game schedule so long as the players give up something (preferably the absurd rookie wage scale.)

Archived