NFL Offseason (cont.)

Mya Stone

How about those Bengals quietly making no news? I love it.

I also love the insane love that Baltimore is getting this year. They're considered the third best team in the league by most preseason rankings. I think that's pretty insane.

Ladies and gentlemen, Jared Allen:

"I'll definitely be back in 2010. ... Oh, I thought for a second this interview was about me." -- when asked if "that guy" was coming back in 2010.

Love the Mullet Nation.

I also love the insane love that Baltimore is getting this year. They're considered the third best team in the league by most preseason rankings. I think that's pretty insane.

I hate seeing Baltimore get love in the media. It seems like whenever there are expectations nationally they don't meet them. Yet the Ravens live for the "nobody believed in us" card. Deny them that and they are nothing! This is all a cunning plan on the part of the national press - keeping Baltimore down by propping us up. I'm onto them.

I was really impressed by the Ravens playoff win over the Patriots last season. Ray Rice is fucking incredible but the Ravens might depend on him too much. Boldin should help their offense a lot if he stays healthy.

I would not rank them #3 but definitely in the top 10.

I hate seeing Baltimore get love in the media. It seems like whenever there are expectations nationally they don't meet them. Yet the Ravens live for the "nobody believed in us" card. Deny them that and they are nothing! This is all a cunning plan on the part of the national press - keeping Baltimore down by propping us up. I'm onto them.

That's why I'm happy for all the love. Like Baltimore, the Bengals play better with the underdog tag and I'm glad they're getting it. Annoying at times to see all the love heaped on the Ravens but I rather it there than on the Bengals. We have a lot less pressure heading into this year.

Anyone ready for my annual the "Bengals win the Super Bowl" post? I know no one reads it but it's fun to write anyway.

Anyone ready for my annual the "Bengals win the Super Bowl" post? I know no one reads it but it's fun to write anyway.

I read it. By law everyone on this thread must read it in case we are called as witnesses at your mental competency hearing.

Kevin Mawae, NFLPA President on Haynesworth:

To the extent that the NFLPA eventually may have to defend the ability of Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to keep all of the $21 million he received in April after skipping a mandatory minicamp this week, the president of the NFLPA has done nothing to assist Haynesworth's position

"I mean, if you don't want to be there don't take the $21 million contract," Kevin Mawae told Bryan McGovern and Gil Brandt of Sirius NFL Radio. "How things turned out it's no surprise to guys that have played with him in Tennessee."

(Translation? "Turd.")

"You know, what do you say?" Mawae said, right after saying all that he needed to say. "I mean, you're getting paid a ton of money to play less and you're complaining about it. At the end of the day it's one thing to be a football player and get paid lots of money but there's a whole lot more to be said about being a man. . . . [H]e can be one of the best in the league and I've said that to him in his face before. But to this point he doesn't want to do it on a consistent basis."

Love it. Maybe I was wrong about the NFLPA...

Also in other news:

In the end, JaMarcus Russell could be landing in the UFL.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the expansion Omaha Nighthawks could be signing Russell, who would team up with running back Ahman Green in the team's backfield.

Awesome.

Go Nighthawks!

To the extent that the NFLPA eventually may have to defend the ability of Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to keep all of the $21 million he received in April after skipping a mandatory minicamp this week, the president of the NFLPA has done nothing to assist Haynesworth's position

"I mean, if you don't want to be there don't take the $21 million contract," Kevin Mawae told Bryan McGovern and Gil Brandt of Sirius NFL Radio. "How things turned out it's no surprise to guys that have played with him in Tennessee."

"You know, what do you say?" Mawae said, right after saying all that he needed to say. "I mean, you're getting paid a ton of money to play less and you're complaining about it. At the end of the day it's one thing to be a football player and get paid lots of money but there's a whole lot more to be said about being a man. . . . [H]e can be one of the best in the league and I've said that to him in his face before. But to this point he doesn't want to do it on a consistent basis."

Did... did the NFL Players Association President just ... did he just talk common sense? I mean, was it me of did his comments basically translate to

"Look, you fat, lazy, greedy ass-hat, you should have seen this coming when you TOOK THEIR MONEY! Don't come crying to the Union when you have to get paid AND play! My God! You mean that you may actually have to HOLD UP YOUR END OF THE BARGAIN? And another thing, everyone you ever played with hates you. Hates you. Doesn't that tip you off in any way?

"Oh, and nobody in the office believes you 'blacked out' after you stepped on that guy's head a few years ago. Nobody.

"And finally, if I don;t think youa re a real man. That's right; I said it. You are 6 inches taller and like 100 pounds bigger than me but I think you are a petulant child. What'cha gonna do about it, fatty? I mean, after seeing your play last season, I think all I have to do is make you job 12 feet and you'll give up. Unless I have a pound of buttermilk pancakes on my back- then maybe you'll hustle.

"So, yeah- I hope you give the money back, because its going to be awkward when an NFLPA attorney stands up at your arbitration and says you dserve the money without having to play and I start heckling him.

"Oh, and you are overpaid, or did you really think the Redskins were shrewd in that contract you are now milking them for?"

Ladies and Gentlemen YOUR NFLPA PRESIDENT!

In the end, JaMarcus Russell could be landing in the UFL.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the expansion Omaha Nighthawks could be signing Russell, who would team up with running back Ahman Green in the team's backfield.

Somewhere in Omaha, Nebraska a guy at a bat just went "Oh god NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Ladies and Gentlemen YOUR NFLPA PRESIDENT!

He's got my vote.

Once....I make the NFL....

Somewhere in Omaha, Nebraska a guy at a bat just went "Oh god NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

:rofl:

As I'm bored, I think it's time to do my annual Bengals post. Feel free to read it this year (minus Rockoi as he always reads it) :)

Cincinnati Bengals

Last year, we swept the AFC North. We finished 4th in total defense and top 10 in passing, rushing and scoring defense. The passing offense sputtered while the rushing offense looked solid. In the end, we played terrible and lost to the Jets in the playoffs and now we're considered one of the least likely teams to make a repeat playoff appearance.

Fair enough. We haven't had back to back winning seasons in some ridiculous number of years. We haven't won a playoff game since 1990. Our QB looked terrible down the stretch and our defense wasn't as strong. We limped into the playoffs then promptly limped out. Our schedule is considered the 4th hardest in the league and we play QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, ect.

Even still, we got better this offseason and while most sports writers are ignoring that (except John Clayton which just wrote a great article about us), I'm not.

Defense

Lets start with our strength. Our biggest offseason signing was Mike Zimmer. He took our defense from 27th to 12th to 4th in 2 years and hopefully will continue to improve with a #1 ranking. We have two very good young CBs (Hall, Joseph), a young linebacker corp (Rivers, Maluaga, B. Johnson, Jones) underrated DTs (Peko, Tank Johnson, Pat Sims) and average ends (Odom, Geathers).

The defense this year is better for two reasons. One, we added depth across the board, especially to our safety position in Gibril Wilson. Last year, our two starters had major injuries and there were times we were stuck with our 4th string safety who wasn't very good. The other big problem we had was our lack of 3rd CB and with the addition of Adam Jones (who has looked brilliant so far) and Brandon Ghee (3rd round pick), we should be much improved there.

Second, Michael Johnson. He's the X-Factor. If we use him like they want to, he'll be hard to defend. All offseason, he's taken snaps at SLB as Maluaga rehabs and from what I've heard, he's been absolutely brilliant. At 6'7 265 lb with freakish long arms, he provides the ability to rush the QB from DE, standing up or drop in coverage (which from all reports, he's very good in). Hopefully he turns into the guy you need to account for and if he does, it'll free up Odom on the outside, free up more exotic blitzes, or allow Atkins/Dunlap (who will move inside on 3rd down) to get pressure up the middle. The focus this offseason was getting pressure on the QB and from what I've read, Zimmer has done a lot to help generate that.

If all goes as it should, that defense will be fast, physical and hard to beat. I'm definitely excited.

Offense

We all know what happened last year. Our running game behind Benson was solid. Offensive line play was great while rushing but mediocre while passing. Palmer looked average at best and was playing with a broken thumb. Our WRs minus Ocho were non existent and our TEs had lead hands.

Luckily, we've improved in pretty much every area. Palmer's finger is back to normal and as a result, can do playaction passes again. Offensive line should be better with Andre Smith participating in a full training camp. We upgraded our WRs with signing of Bryant and drafting of Shipley. All reports say that Shipley looks brilliant. Even Simpson (2nd round pick 3 years ago) has looked very impressive.

And finally, we drafted Gresham who is as sure handed a TE as there is and will allow us to stretch the field in the middle.

Bratkowski supposedly revamped the playbook again this offseason and changed the passing attack drastically. Add that to our running game and hopefully we'll finally be consistent.

I'm concerned about the offense. I'm optimistic, but definitely concerned. From Clayton's article, it seems Palmer's arm is perfectly fine and he was throwing like he used to. I just hope his accuracy gets back to where it was in 2005.

Special Teams

Bernard Scott will return Kickoffs and while he did it last year, he lead the league in average per kick with 30 yrds.

Adam Jones will be our punt returner and he supposedly looks decisive and fast through the lanes.

Our punter is solid and we can only hope that we'll actually have a kicker who can make big field goals.

That's it. I got tired of typing towards the end so had to speed it up. Our team is good, potentially very good with a strong defense and hopefully an explosive offense. We have a hard schedule that could actually help us given how we play against bad teams. We have the talent, it's up to execution now.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore - you will get swept again. Be prepared.

Gah, I can't stand the spoiled baby attitude of some of these guys.

"waaaahhhh, they only offered me $6.48 million dollars a year to play a game for maybe 30 minutes once a week for five months a year, waaaaaaaahh."

Fucking prima donna fucks deserve their used car salesman careers after the NFL spits them out.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/362412_nflhealth09.html

The average NFL player plays just 3.52 seasons and loses two to three years off his life expectancy for every season played. Mitz spent six seasons with the Seahawks on top of his four demanding college years at Florida. He knows this could significantly shorten his life.

Don't want to think about that part though when your make your little rants though. Say it about other sports if you want, but to say it about the NFL is just asinine.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/362412_nflhealth09.html

Don't want to think about that part though when your make your little rants though. Say it about other sports if you want, but to say it about the NFL is just asinine.

Aww shucks, I guess you're right. Who ever would have thought that a 300 pound man forced to maintain a strenuous workout regimen for years might have an impact later on in his life?

I can point to a dozen different jobs and career choices that cause health risks later on in life. Should sanitation workers or coal miners who breath in potentially dangerous fumes every day for years make several million dollars a year as well? What about roofers or construction workers whose backbreaking daily labor produces health problems later in life? Should they make millions a year too? I mean, if it's OK that football players make so much money because their "job" produces health risks later on in life, shouldn't that count for everyone else?

I have no sympathy for any modern NFL player. Yeah, it sucks that they might die earlier but you know what they have until that time comes? The millions of dollars they made playing a game for several years. Cry me a freaking river.

As I'm bored, I think it's time to do my annual Bengals post. Feel free to read it this year (minus Rockoi as he always reads it) :)

Cincinnati Bengals

Last year, we swept the AFC North. We finished 4th in total defense and top 10 in passing, rushing and scoring defense. The passing offense sputtered while the rushing offense looked solid. In the end, we played terrible and lost to the Jets in the playoffs and now we're considered one of the least likely teams to make a repeat playoff appearance.

Fair enough. We haven't had back to back winning seasons in some ridiculous number of years. We haven't won a playoff game since 1990. Our QB looked terrible down the stretch and our defense wasn't as strong. We limped into the playoffs then promptly limped out. Our schedule is considered the 4th hardest in the league and we play QBs like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben, ect.

Even still, we got better this offseason and while most sports writers are ignoring that (except John Clayton which just wrote a great article about us), I'm not.

Defense

Lets start with our strength. Our biggest offseason signing was Mike Zimmer. He took our defense from 27th to 12th to 4th in 2 years and hopefully will continue to improve with a #1 ranking. We have two very good young CBs (Hall, Joseph), a young linebacker corp (Rivers, Maluaga, B. Johnson, Jones) underrated DTs (Peko, Tank Johnson, Pat Sims) and average ends (Odom, Geathers).

The defense this year is better for two reasons. One, we added depth across the board, especially to our safety position in Gibril Wilson. Last year, our two starters had major injuries and there were times we were stuck with our 4th string safety who wasn't very good. The other big problem we had was our lack of 3rd CB and with the addition of Adam Jones (who has looked brilliant so far) and Brandon Ghee (3rd round pick), we should be much improved there.

Second, Michael Johnson. He's the X-Factor. If we use him like they want to, he'll be hard to defend. All offseason, he's taken snaps at SLB as Maluaga rehabs and from what I've heard, he's been absolutely brilliant. At 6'7 265 lb with freakish long arms, he provides the ability to rush the QB from DE, standing up or drop in coverage (which from all reports, he's very good in). Hopefully he turns into the guy you need to account for and if he does, it'll free up Odom on the outside, free up more exotic blitzes, or allow Atkins/Dunlap (who will move inside on 3rd down) to get pressure up the middle. The focus this offseason was getting pressure on the QB and from what I've read, Zimmer has done a lot to help generate that.

If all goes as it should, that defense will be fast, physical and hard to beat. I'm definitely excited.

Offense

We all know what happened last year. Our running game behind Benson was solid. Offensive line play was great while rushing but mediocre while passing. Palmer looked average at best and was playing with a broken thumb. Our WRs minus Ocho were non existent and our TEs had lead hands.

Luckily, we've improved in pretty much every area. Palmer's finger is back to normal and as a result, can do playaction passes again. Offensive line should be better with Andre Smith participating in a full training camp. We upgraded our WRs with signing of Bryant and drafting of Shipley. All reports say that Shipley looks brilliant. Even Simpson (2nd round pick 3 years ago) has looked very impressive.

And finally, we drafted Gresham who is as sure handed a TE as there is and will allow us to stretch the field in the middle.

Bratkowski supposedly revamped the playbook again this offseason and changed the passing attack drastically. Add that to our running game and hopefully we'll finally be consistent.

I'm concerned about the offense. I'm optimistic, but definitely concerned. From Clayton's article, it seems Palmer's arm is perfectly fine and he was throwing like he used to. I just hope his accuracy gets back to where it was in 2005.

Special Teams

Bernard Scott will return Kickoffs and while he did it last year, he lead the league in average per kick with 30 yrds.

Adam Jones will be our punt returner and he supposedly looks decisive and fast through the lanes.

Our punter is solid and we can only hope that we'll actually have a kicker who can make big field goals.

That's it. I got tired of typing towards the end so had to speed it up. Our team is good, potentially very good with a strong defense and hopefully an explosive offense. We have a hard schedule that could actually help us given how we play against bad teams. We have the talent, it's up to execution now.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore - you will get swept again. Be prepared.

At least you're consistent.

;)

I skimmed it. I think it is a tad early for predictions. At least wait until we have one preseason game. With that said I would hope every team is 'better' at this time of year. After injuries (yeah you Steve Smith) cuts, trades and changes we'll see who is ready to start the season on the right foot. I can't seem to remember who the the Patriots start the season with. ;)

Just for Mexal in an effort to keep Bengals offseason chatter going:

Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson was arrested Tuesday and charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly punching a bar employee in the face nearly a month ago.

Just working on the ole stiff-arm...:P

Archived