NFL Offseason (cont.)

Mya Stone

Just for Mexal in an effort to keep Bengals offseason chatter going:

Just working on the ole stiff-arm...:P

I read that. I find it interesting that he was arrested 30 days after the assault. I'm curious what the actual story is. This certainly won't help him get his contract extension.

For those who haven't seen it, I thought this article was rather scary.

Chris Henry, the Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver who died in a traffic accident last year, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) -- a form of degenerative brain damage caused by multiple hits to the head -- at the time of his death, according to scientists at the Brain Injury Research Institute, a research center affiliated with West Virginia University.

The guy was only 26, never diagnosed with a concussion, and still already had CTE. To me the damage that players are putting on their bodies should be an even bigger issue to the NFL than steroids was to MLB. Yet except for a brief flurry of news that quickly abates maybe once a year or so, it seems to be completely ignored.

We all hope that our team can make it to training camp without injury or embarrassing arrests. That they spend their vacations in nice quiet locations away from underage girls or cities with strict gun control laws.

In the mean time we have JaMarcus Russell to entertain us - Former Raider is arrested in Alabama

The former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, chosen No. 1 over all in the 2007 N.F.L. draft, was arrested in Mobile, Ala., and charged with possession of codeine syrup, a controlled substance, without a prescription. A sheriff's spokeswoman said Russell, 24, was arrested at his home during an undercover investigation. He was booked into the Mobile jail and released on $2,500 bond.

According to reports he was sampling of little bit of dat Purple drank :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

What is Fat Albert up to? (And yes I just wanted to bump this thread)

I think it's clear he's losing weight so that the Redskins won't want to make him the Nose Tackle. Really it's not the $100 million contract that inspires him to lose weight, it's the fear of playing a position where he can't get any glory.

I think it's clear he's losing weight so that the Redskins won't want to make him the Nose Tackle. Really it's not the $100 million contract that inspires him to lose weight, it's the fear of playing a position where he can't get any glory.

We'll see, a lot of this is forgotten once the first games are played. I think it is too late to trade him. But he definitely doesn't get the team concept. I mean every player needs to protect their bodies and their position on the team, but in the end you need to trust your teammates and coaches. As Belichick would say - do your job.

First camp opens Friday (Browns). I am still debating if I am going to be watching Hard Knocks. You know how we Patriots like to have as much video on opposing teams as we can get. :blush:

Someone let me move in with them; I cannot stand living in this state any longer, when half of the 10 o clock news is dedicated to Brett Fucking Favre.

I recently moved to a place that doesn't have cable. I knew I would miss ESPN. But this was right before the NBA free agent extravaganza, and then followed by the can-Farve-top-himself marathon. I gotta say, this is a good time not to be watching ESPN. I'll miss it when the actual football season starts, but oh well. I still get broadcast, so I'll be able to watch the Skins games, just not much else.

Related to absolutely nothing... I just came across this image and felt I had to share.

This one's for Caliban.

slide_8727_115711_large.jpg?127964647366

From HuffPo's "most homoerotic sports photos" item...

DG,

That's awesome! And it's maybe a bit more related than you think. Grossman's name has recently been bandied about in the Fantasy Football Expert's League thread (as an insult, of course ;) ). That photo kind of gives a whole new meaning to that "Sexy Rexy" nickname, I guess. Also, I hope that Nelson guy in slide 3 at least drew the foul :eek:

DG,

That's awesome! And it's maybe a bit more related than you think. Grossman's name has recently been bandied about in the Fantasy Football Expert's League thread (as an insult, of course ;) ). That photo kind of gives a whole new meaning to that "Sexy Rexy" nickname, I guess. Also, I hope that Nelson guy in slide 3 at least drew the foul :eek:

Actually I think the most shocking picture there is #9, it's got Brian Scalabrine dunking. :stunned:

NTs can get glory. I'm blown away everytime I watch Ratliff play; although, Haynesworth might be incapable of shooting through the gaps the way Ratliff does. That guy can fly.

Haynesworth is not going to find much more glory as a 3-4 DE. If he keeps losing weight maybe they can play him as a weakside OLB like Ware. He could tally his first NFL Int.

NTs can get glory. I'm blown away everytime I watch Ratliff play; although, Haynesworth might be incapable of shooting through the gaps the way Ratliff does. That guy can fly.

That's true. Ratliff is a rare beast.

Most NTs are of the Jamal Williams/Casey Hampton variety...well regarded by people in the know as vitally important cogs to the defense but guys left without stats to show their dominance.

If he keeps losing weight maybe they can play him as a shortside OLB like Ware. He could tally his first NFL Int.

I like your thought process though the mastermind is way ahead of you:

I'd expect him to play any position that we thought was in the best interest of the Washington Redskins be it nose tackle, defensive end, if we wanted to play him at free safety . . . So [we] expected him to come in in great shape and do the things we expected of him and that he's capable of doing. Hopefully he does that," Shanahan said.

I'm 100% behind Fat Albert trolling center field, running stride for stride with DeSean Jackson, pointing out where Jason Witten is in the formation....

Haynesworth is not going to find much more glory as a 3-4 DE.

You think so? I actually thought once this issue came up that him shifting to DE would make some sense. He'd have more freedom to go right at the QB as a DE than a DT, and if he's attracting doubleteams (as I would expect) then that should serve the Skins purposes.

I'm not trying to side with Haynesworth, because he should do what his team tells him, but failing that, I think he could play DE. Am I missing something? I don't know too much about the 3-4 generally.

You think so? I actually thought once this issue came up that him shifting to DE would make some sense. He'd have more freedom to go right at the QB as a DE than a DT, and if he's attracting doubleteams (as I would expect) then that should serve the Skins purposes.

I'm not trying to side with Haynesworth, because he should do what his team tells him, but failing that, I think he could play DE. Am I missing something? I don't know too much about the 3-4 generally.

3-4 DEs have a lot more responsibiles then 4-3 DEs. They cannot just rush the QB. The LBs, particularly the weakside OLB, are the stars of a 3-4. Lawrence Taylor is probably the best example of that.

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=1946758

Before an end can get after the quarterback, he has to first make certain a draw isn't coming through the "B" gap (between the guard and tackle). The end also has bootleg duty. If there's run action inside, the ends first reaction should be to hit the "B" gap, and if nothing's coming, hustle back outside to contain the quarterback.

"The responsibility of a 3-4 end is 10 times harder than the responsibility of a 4-3 end," said Pittsburgh end Kimo von Oelhoffen. "You're on the edge (in the 4-3). You've got great angles for stopping the run, and great angles for rushing the quarterback. That's why those guys get sacks."

That's true. Ratliff is a rare beast.

Most NTs are of the Jamal Williams/Casey Hampton variety...well regarded by people in the know as vitally important cogs to the defense but guys left without stats to show their dominance.

I like your thought process though the mastermind is way ahead of you:

I'm 100% behind Fat Albert trolling center field, running stride for stride with DeSean Jackson, pointing out where Jason Witten is in the formation....

NTs are vitally important (and rare). Four NTs were franchised for 2010: Franklin, Hampton, Pickett, and Wilfork.

I would pay cash money to see Haynesworth play FS. 95% of the time he would look terrible, 5% of the time he would absolutely murder some poor receiver.

Archived