Israeli Forces attack Aid Flotilla to Gaza

Shryke

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/05/201053133047995359.html

Israeli forces have attacked a flotilla of aid-carrying ships aiming to break the country's siege on Gaza.

Up to 16 people were killed and more than 30 people injured when troops stormed the Freedom Flotilla early on Monday, the Israeli Army Radio said.

The flotilla was attacked in international waters, 65km off the Gaza coast.

The Israeli Army Radio said soldiers opened fire "after confronting those on board carrying sharp objects".

Free Gaza Movement, the organisers of the flotilla, however, said the troops opened fire as soon as they stormed the ships.

They also said the ships were now being towed to the Israeli town of Haifa, instead of Ashdod to avoid waiting journalists.

Al-Jazeera is the only people I can find running the story right now in English. It pretty much like ... just happened so it'll take awhile for other sources to pick it up.

EDIT: Ok, BBC as picked it up too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10195838.stm

The Israeli navy has stormed at least one of a convoy of ships carrying humanitarian aid to the Gaza strip, amid reports of casualties on board.

Some reports say two people have been killed and about 30 injured. Israel has declined to comment.

The exact location of the interception is unclear. Israel had warned the ships not to enter its territorial waters.

The ships are carrying 10,000 tonnes of aid to the Gaza Strip in an effort to break an Israeli blockade.

Casualty reports have gone from 0 to 2 to as high as 16 apparently but none of that should be taken at face value yet. It's all a mess right now and it'll take awhile for stuff to calm down and real numbers to be determined.

This is apparently the 9th such flotilla this group has organized and the largest one to date. The first 5 (I think) got through but the Israelis stopped letting them in after Operation Cast Lead in Jan 2009. There's a bunch of journalists, politicians and activists on board so some important people of some stripes involved.

I can always count on you, Shryke.

This is what happens when:

a. People need to have the word b-l-o-c-k-a-d-e spelleded out for them.

b. You mix a cynical foreign government looking to provoke for political reasons (Turkey)+well meaning but completely oblivious human rights activisits+gosh darn* terrorists armed with knives+boats

Interesting bit of trivia: The IDF asked beforehand for Israeli police SWAT assistance. They got an emphatic "no" as reply. Apparantly that's illegal...(the use of police outside Israeli borders)

* yeah, that's not the word I was going for. But one has to be extra careful in these political threads...

There's a bunch of journalists, politicians and activists on board so some important people of some stripes involved.

So the sharp objects were probably pencils.

I didn't really follow this blockade. Are there any reasons for that other than "there may be weapons and bomb material" (which could be dealt with, no doubt)?

Because of Hamas.

And this stops them getting supplies how? I was under the impression they had plenty of ways of getting weapons and other supplies that didn't involve needing boats.

Because there's a blockade.

Then don't let the ship past. Shooting at people was a completely uneccessary act. Also wait until they've entered your waters untill then you have no authority.

Had there been no armed resistance, there would have been no shooting.

Well it was in international waters, that makes the IDF the agressors just for coming towards that ship. Of course I'm confused about this whole "armed resistance" thing. If the IDF is telling the truth the people on the Flotilla had "sharp objects" which to me has a simple solution keep your fucking distance you've got guns they've got something sharp.

Is it even a legal blockade in the first place?

And beyond that, as I said, this is the 9th time they've done this.

This is, however, the first time the IDF has apparently opened fire on them (as far as I'm aware anyway)

Really now? The IDF CANNOT have made a mistake in this situation according to you?

Also, as pointed out above, if they were in International Waters, the IDF has no right to attack them and they have every right to resist.

It was not "attacked". It was stopped and boarded. When some of the passengers attacked israeli troops, they defended themselves.

And what right did Israel have to board them?

I mean, I guess pirates don't "attack". They merely stop and board other people's boats. It only gets violent when people attack back. Those silly geese.

This is elegant in it simplicity. I can top that though. Had there be no boarding with weapons, there would have been no alleged armed resistance.

That's why not a single Israeli died, right? That must have been some resistance. Also notice how the ones saying there was resistance are the ones who attacked an aid ship in international waters.

Though of course possibly incorrect, a Turkish network is reporting via Voice of America that it was airborne inflicted:

Turkish NTV, a private television station, reported early Monday that eyewitness say Israeli helicopter gunships fired on one of the vessels in international waters, killing two and wounding 30. The report has not been confirmed, and Israel has yet to comment on the report.

1. That's why not a single Israeli died, right?

2. That must have been some resistance.

3. Also notice how the ones saying there was resistance are the ones who attacked an aid ship in international waters.

1. I don't that's such a consoltaion for the IDF soldier currently hospitalized (undergoing surgery?) for being brutally stabbed with a knife.

2. You bet there was.

3. I am not an expert on sea warfare. However, given the narrow margins of our national waters, I guess they had little choice in the matter. Also, you say "aid ship:. I can just as easily say "terrorist ship" with aid workers on board as shield.

Archived