MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

When we left off, Ubaldo was doing his best Bob Gibson impression, Albert was trying to come out of a wicked slump, Rays had one foot on the Yankees' and Red Sox's throats and the Pirates were still terrible.

Discuss.

Don't forget that the best player in the NL returned to the Dodger lineup today.

...and promptly did nothing. :thumbsup:

Less whimsically, when did he become the best player in the NL? I've never heard him mentioned, though my following of the NL is spotty and mostly related to my (failing) fantasy team.

...and promptly did nothing. :thumbsup:

Less whimsically, when did he become the best player in the NL? I've never heard him mentioned, though my following of the NL is spotty and mostly related to my (failing) fantasy team.

When a Dodgers fan declared him such.

To be fair to Ethier though, he was having a monster season before the injury. I really hope the splint works out ok and he doesn't slow down. I like him.

If that's the case, then I am declaring Justin Morneau the best player in the AL. Huzzah! :D

Ethier is having a monster year, even with the injury. He's still top 10 in HR and RBI and his AVG wants for nothing but at-bats.

If that's the case, then I am declaring Justin Morneau the best player in the AL. Huzzah! :D

Ethier is having a monster year, even with the injury. He's still top 10 in HR and RBI and his AVG wants for nothing but at-bats.

Exactly. At the time of his injury, I think he was leading in most offensive stats.

Either way, Morneau is having a monster year too and it's something I like to see. He's vastly underrated.

White Sox fan, reporting (since you stated there were none around). I usually would just observe in wonder as EHK voiced his eloquent, informed, and impassioned opinions. I am a poor, poor representation in lieu of his presence. :(

He would not like how things are going, no sir, he would not. Yet as bad as we seem to play, we win just enough games to think "this team can't be THAT bad". As pessimistic as Sox fans can be, I think the 05 series has injected us with hope that each year it actually IS possible to do something, no matter how bleak things are looking. Just not in that annoying Cub fan way ;)

I call for the Twins to play the Yankees about 40 more times this year. We might have a shot if that happens.

I don't think the Reds are a threat in the long term.

It took you until this weekend to figure that out? The only real long term threat the Cardinals face this season remains the Cubs. And let's not forget that that is an uphill battle to be sure. Though I suspect that tonight we come out of the funk and return to treating the Pirates like the little bitches that they are rather the other way around. :)

I don't think that the Reds are a joke at all. Rolen is having a bit of a resurgence. You've got Cueto looking pretty good. Harang and Arroyo have been very solid pitchers at times in their careers, and they have this rookie Leake pitching really well. I think they'll finish above .500 and stick around for a while, but I just don't expect them around until September.

I wouldn't expect them past the All Star Break. The one factor you forget to figure in: Dusty Baker. He is his own worst enemy and he'll destroy Leake given half a chance.

It's the first day of June and the Orioles are 22 games below .500 and 19 games out of first place in the AL East. The team's batting slash is .249/.312/.371 with an average of 3.4 runs scored per game. This team is making me hate baseball in a way I never fathomed was possible.

FFS, I understand that Lilly was having a good game. I get it. But when its the eighth inning and you're only up by one run... how about you put someone fresh in there instead of waiting for your tired pitcher to lay an egg and cost you the game?

And so the Cubs lose ANOTHER series to the Pirates. Awesome.

I would say that at least we have the Astros and Brewers up on deck to give us some momentum... but really, I don't even trust this club to beat those teams.

FFS, I understand that Lilly was having a good game. I get it. But when its the eighth inning and you're only up by one run... how about you put someone fresh in there instead of waiting for your tired pitcher to lay an egg and cost you the game?

And so the Cubs lose ANOTHER series to the Pirates. Awesome.

I would say that at least we have the Astros and Brewers up on deck to give us some momentum... but really, I don't even trust this club to beat those teams.

Well, I think back to earlier this season...a scuffling Cubs team came up against a still going well at that point Brewers club that was making some early hay and the Cubbies treated the Brew Crew like the drunks they are, but then I think Chicago went out and wet the bed again right after that, so it's 50/50 for me on how it'll go.

So Zambrano's either going to repeat his Opening Day performance tonight or he's going to throw 8 innings of brilliant ball only to have the game be lost at the end again by one run when the bullpen combusts some more. :P

But hey, John Grabow got buried on the DL for a while...that's a positive thing, right?

Also saw this today: Just announced: MLB Network will air Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg's MLB debut on Tuesday, June 8 against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Bob Costas, John Smoltz & Jim Kaat will call the game.

I was going to say something along the lines of those are fighting words Possum...but you are totally right. The Brewers are so hard to watch this year because they SHOULD be good, or at least decent, but they are not. But some games they show how good they CAN be be only to go on a 7 games loosing streak.

This is a frustrating year...at least in years past when they sucked I KNEW they were going to suck so every win was a treasure and every loss taking in stride...

Hey, TEA, what's up with the Brewers radio? Did something happen to Ueker? Not that I mind Corey Provost, but I like to tune into Brewers games when I can, rather than listen to White Sox baseball if the Cubs aren't on...

Hey, TEA, what's up with the Brewers radio? Did something happen to Ueker? Not that I mind Corey Provost, but I like to tune into Brewers games when I can, rather than listen to White Sox baseball if the Cubs aren't on...

He had heart surgery. I guess he is looking to be back around the All-Star break...I don't mind Corey either (you can tell he has adopted Ueker style) but it is still not Brewer baseball without Ueker.

Oddly enough if the Brewers are not on TV in my area I will always watch the Cubs play...not sure why, think it makes my Grandma happy though..

He had heart surgery. I guess he is looking to be back around the All-Star break...I don't mind Corey either (you can tell he has adopted Ueker style) but it is still not Brewer baseball without Ueker.

Oddly enough if the Brewers are not on TV in my area I will always watch the Cubs play...not sure why, think it makes my Grandma happy though..

Damn. Hadn't heard that. Hope he recovers well and makes it back soon.

Archived