MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

Am I the only one who cares WAY more about Griffey retiring than this botched call?

The guy was the best player in baseball for a good chunk of the 90s. He was knocking home runs left and right without even a hint of PEDs. And his smile made you think he was still a kid out there, enjoying a game, instead of going to work.

Knew he had to hang 'em up eventually, but I was hoping he'd go out in a blaze of glory.

living in the northwest all my life i loved griffey. he was the man. the buhner, griffey, a-rod mariners were amazing. i loved them. again, i will say i loved griffey. his retirement was a foregone conclusion. he always would retire. all players do. only nineteen have ever had a perfect game. a 20th would have been historic upon a historic event. and it was stolen.

but, still i am glad to see griffey hang it up. injuries ruined his career, but he bounced back again and again. the man was always a classy player. i wish him the best with his life.

Am I the only one who cares WAY more about Griffey retiring than this botched call?

The guy was the best player in baseball for a good chunk of the 90s. He was knocking home runs left and right without even a hint of PEDs. And his smile made you think he was still a kid out there, enjoying a game, instead of going to work.

Knew he had to hang 'em up eventually, but I was hoping he'd go out in a blaze of glory.

This is going to sound weird, and I can't quite describe why, but seeing Griffey with his hat backwards used to make me feel like summertime. Does that make any sense?

Ken Griffey retiring - Farrah Fawcett dying

Perfect game stolen - Michael Jackson dying

Hm, so...Ken Griffey is what we should care about more. Good, glad that was cleared up. :)

This is going to sound weird, and I can't quite describe why, but seeing Griffey with his hat backwards used to make me feel like summertime. Does that make any sense?

Makes perfect sense to me. Despite not being a Mariner's fan, he's part of why I grew to love baseball.

Makes perfect sense to me. Despite not being a Mariner's fan, he's part of why I grew to love baseball.

Found It.

—Baseball fans across the nation admitted Monday that the sight of Ken Griffey Jr. in a backwards baseball cap—an iconic image that once filled fans with joy and promise and a feeling that maybe, just maybe, eternal youth was possible—now makes them feel completely and utterly depressed.

"To see him wear his hat like that is actually heartbreaking," 27-year-old Seattle resident Peter Morley said of Griffey, who is hitting .152 this spring training. "It just doesn't look right anymore, you know? It doesn't look natural."

"Maybe it's because his face is fatter," Morley added.

Griffey retiring just makes me sad. My favorite player growing up was Ripken, and then Halladay took over in the last decade or so, but Griffey was always a blast to watch.

The ump's call, on the other hand, makes me sick. So gross.

Griffy should have retired at the end of last year. I am just happy he was able to finish in Seattle, he should never have left.

The blown call that ruined the perfect game is a big deal now; however, Griffy retiring will be a bigger long term story.

Griffey retiring just makes me sad. My favorite player growing up was Ripken, and then Halladay took over in the last decade or so, but Griffey was always a blast to watch.

The ump's call, on the other hand, makes me sick. So gross.

Right, so let's buck the internet trend and talk glowingly of happy things! While Griffey's retirement is a sad day for the game, it is an end to a stunning career that has brought joy to many. So much talent, so young, he was incredible to see. It never felt as bad to lose to Seattle, because at least Griffey was on their team and I couldn't stay mad at him.

I do not even know what to say after that fucking call. At least he admitted that he blew it.

And even made a personal apology to Galarraga.

Detroit Free Press

(Being a native Detroiter I'm afraid to read the nearly 600 comments the story has already generated.)

I definitely feel sympathy for Jim Joyce. Galarraga is not the sort of player who can just wait for the next time he is perfect. Not gonna happen. He's a muggle who got to be a wizard for just one day. And that day was snatched away.

Appreciate the way he is putting on his big boy pants and accepting that he was just wrong. But for future reference umps, if you aren't SURE SURE, tie base goes to the man with the perfecto.

You have to consider all the bizarre things that went into the 26 straight outs before that blown call. A sharp grounder ricocheting off Galaragga and going straight to the third baseman. The 400 foot out in the ninth. Im sure there were others, i havent seen all the outs. Galaragga doesnt have great stuff. He doesnt 'deserve' anything.

I can promise you that Mark fucking Gudrielanek isnt squaring up a ball against kerry wood the day he k'd 20. The Buerhle, Braden and now gallaraga games are just luck.

I have to say, Galarraga handled it pretty well. I imagine most players would go all George Brett on the ump and get majorly pissed off. Maybe he realized he was lucky enough just to get that close.

At least Jim Joyce seemed to genuinely feel regret about it. It only marginally reduces the crime, though. From what I understand, Selig may overturn the call, but that's hardly the same... you're still robbed of the moment.

How did the ump blow that call? He was out by a mile!

Will the commissioner reverse it and give Galarraga the perfect game?

I got home and turned on the Yankees game to see the replay of the Jackson catch and mention of the perfect game in progress. I quickly switched to the Tigers game in time to see the play. I am still shocked by it. By all accounts, Joyce is a good umpire. I can't imagine what he was thinking. Unless the runner was past the bag, how do you call him safe?

There's no way Selig does anything about this game except drop his opposition to instant replay.

Archived