MLB 2010, Part II

Lightning Lord

Appreciate the way he is putting on his big boy pants and accepting that he was just wrong. But for future reference umps, if you aren't SURE SURE, tie base the call goes to the man with the perfecto.

Fixed that. I don't know why the "tie goes to the runner" misnomer get's under my skin, but it does. All that umpire training I guess... :P

I have to say, Galarraga handled it pretty well. I imagine most players would go all George Brett on the ump and get majorly pissed off. Maybe he realized he was lucky enough just to get that close.

At least Jim Joyce seemed to genuinely feel regret about it. It only marginally reduces the crime, though. From what I understand, Selig may overturn the call, but that's hardly the same... you're still robbed of the moment.

Both men have behaved so far above board on this that it reminds you why there is so much good in baseball.

I agree completely.

Selig won't change the call

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5248118

My understanding of his statement is that he hasn't actually ruled out making a change to the decision yet, just that he did not specifically comment on it. has something else come out?

I think he should use the Best Interest of Baseball power and make the change. The only thing it costs is Donald one hit.

My understanding of his statement is that he hasn't actually ruled out making a change to the decision yet, just that he did not specifically comment on it. has something else come out?

A baseball official familiar with the decision confirmed to The Associated Press that the call was not being reversed. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because that element was not included in Selig's statement.

I think he should use the Best Interest of Baseball power and make the change. The only thing it costs is Donald one hit.

It sets a bad precedent though. If you change one game, you're going to be asked to change others.

You have to consider all the bizarre things that went into the 26 straight outs before that blown call. A sharp grounder ricocheting off Galaragga and going straight to the third baseman. The 400 foot out in the ninth. Im sure there were others, i havent seen all the outs. Galaragga doesnt have great stuff. He doesnt 'deserve' anything.

I can promise you that Mark fucking Gudrielanek isnt squaring up a ball against kerry wood the day he k'd 20. The Buerhle, Braden and now gallaraga games are just luck.

of course it was luck. luck plays a part in all games and to all players. that does not belittle the perfect games by these three players. and for me perfect games are something that a team has. the pitcher alone cannot make it happen.

at the end of the day joyce's call was garbage.

of course it was luck. luck plays a part in all games and to all players. that does not belittle the perfect games by these three players. and for me perfect games are something that a team has. the pitcher alone cannot make it happen.

at the end of the day joyce's call was garbage.

Yes, luck is a big part of almost any perfect game. And Galarraga's ran out on the last play. Thus, he missed the perfect game.

Yes, luck is a big part of almost any perfect game. And Galarraga's ran out on the last play. Thus, he missed the perfect game.

I don't think that is right - his luck did not run out. The play was made - if Cabrera boots it, he misses the throw, that I would buy as his luck running out. The players on the field did what they needed - the umpire needs to react to what happened, that's where I have a problem with the "perfect imperfections" of sports.

It sets a bad precedent though. If you change one game, you're going to be asked to change others.

No, it doesn't set a bad precedent. What it does is credits the games ability to right itself. There are many times in the past that a hit has been recharacterized as an error, fielders choice, etc. Yes, there are more egregious errors (Cards/Royals series, Jeffery Maher - or however you say it) but this game is trying to live in the 1900's and pretend there is not an ability to adjust correctible errors.

Instant replay similar to how the NBA has it would solve many issues the game has like this. The players are responsible for the outcome of the game, not the officials.

No, it doesn't set a bad precedent. What it does is credits the games ability to right itself. There are many times in the past that a hit has been recharacterized as an error, fielders choice, etc. Yes, there are more egregious errors (Cards/Royals series, Jeffery Maher - or however you say it) but this game is trying to live in the 1900's and pretend there is not an ability to adjust correctible errors.

Instant replay similar to how the NBA has it would solve many issues the game has like this. The players are responsible for the outcome of the game, not the officials.

Instant replay and reversing the decision made on the field the next day are two different things. How about if the home team (non perfect game scenario) is down by 1 in the 9th. 2 outs and a runner reaches 1st on a close play that replays shows he is really out. Next batter hits a home run. Home team wins. Should Selig reverse the game the next day? If the replay shows he was out the game winning hit should never have happened.

What if it happened in the last game of the year and both teams were fighting for the last playoff spot? Hell, what if it happened in the playoffs. Both are much more important scenarios than a blown perfect game. If you rewrite the history books for last night's game, how do you not do the same for more important games?

I don't think that is right - his luck did not run out. The play was made - if Cabrera boots it, he misses the throw, that I would buy as his luck running out. The players on the field did what they needed - the umpire needs to react to what happened, that's where I have a problem with the "perfect imperfections" of sports.

I guess we'll have to disagree, then. Any player that makes a mistake in the outfield costs the pitcher a perfect game as well. You're right that the players did everything right, but a perfect game is rare because every factor needs to go your way.

It wasn't his fault, but at the moment, that is the way the game goes.

The call shouldn't be reversed, no matter how much we want it to be...instant replay should have no part of this and isn't needed.

The issue is the fact that the play in question was the 27th out. Obviously, if the call had been made in the 7th inning and it was the only hit of the game? It wouldn't be quite the issue that it is today. What if it was a call that cost him a no hitter, rather than a perfect game? Still wouldn't generate the level of indignation it has today.

And, though I hate to say it, beyond hardcore sports triva buffs and the people of Detroit who care about Tigers baseball, how many of us are going to really remember this in 5 years?

Twins are having a rough time of it against King Felix. Regretting the thread description a little bit right now.

You never specified which direction they would be moving, so, technically you were in the clear.

The Orioles have just fired their manager in the middle of the season for the third time in five years. Eight losses in a row. .278 winning percentage. And yet I watch the games nearly every day. I think there may be something wrong with me.

You never specified which direction they would be moving, so, technically you were in the clear.

The Orioles have just fired their manager in the middle of the season for the third time in five years. Eight losses in a row. .278 winning percentage. And yet I watch the games nearly every day. I think there may be something wrong with me.

Nah, it's still an awesome sport. And sometimes no real hope makes it more fun! (see my posts against Braves fan)

The call shouldn't be reversed, no matter how much we want it to be...instant replay should have no part of this and isn't needed.

The issue is the fact that the play in question was the 27th out. Obviously, if the call had been made in the 7th inning and it was the only hit of the game? It wouldn't be quite the issue that it is today. What if it was a call that cost him a no hitter, rather than a perfect game? Still wouldn't generate the level of indignation it has today.

And, though I hate to say it, beyond hardcore sports triva buffs and the people of Detroit who care about Tigers baseball, how many of us are going to really remember this in 5 years?

I don't see how you can make that statement - that instant replay isn't needed. Yes, in this situation it is getting more attention because it was the 27th out, but if it did occur in the 7th inning and replay was available, the situation could have been corrected. Maybe he gives up a hit, maybe he doesn't but the fact that the players didn't decide the outcomes on the field is what I have, and always have had, a problem with.

Perin - the example you gave; if instant replay shows he is out, why would the next batter even come up? I don't want next day instant replay, I want replay available at the time of the occurence just like they do now. Hell, it came up in the Sox game yesterday - the A's coach challenged a home run, they were able to take a look at it and determine if it was or wasn't. Not sure why the challenges couldn't be extended to outs.

Perin - the example you gave; if instant replay shows he is out, why would the next batter even come up? I don't want next day instant replay, I want replay available at the time of the occurence just like they do now. Hell, it came up in the Sox game yesterday - the A's coach challenged a home run, they were able to take a look at it and determine if it was or wasn't. Not sure why the challenges couldn't be extended to outs.

OK I guess we're saying the same thing then. I thought you were advocating Selig changing the ruling after the game. I agree that instant replay should be available other than just home run calls. After Wednesday's game, I think its inevitable.

A lot more than if he had gotten the out call. How many people remember Harvey Haddix for his non-perfect game?

I don't see how you can make that statement - that instant replay isn't needed. Yes, in this situation it is getting more attention because it was the 27th out, but if it did occur in the 7th inning and replay was available, the situation could have been corrected. Maybe he gives up a hit, maybe he doesn't but the fact that the players didn't decide the outcomes on the field is what I have, and always have had, a problem with.

If I were a pitcher who's perfect game had to be confirmed by having a questonable call over turned by instant replay I'd feel so cheap and unsatisfied. Umpires should not do anything to interject themselves into the flow of the game (a la the West/Buhrle stuff last week), but the play calling is part of the game. Sometimes they get the calls wrong. Every now and then the call is wrong at the worst possible time. But it is a facet of the game that cannot and should not be changed simply because the technology of the 21st century allows for it to be. To use instant replay for anything other than confirmation of home run calls (and I'm far from sold on that too) would undermine the umpires abilities to call games so much to essentailly work them out of the equation entirely.

A lot more than if he had gotten the out call. How many people remember Harvey Haddix for his non-perfect game?

Exactly.

And at least Galarraga isn't going all Milt Pappas about this... :P

By them numbers, it looks as if Galarraga's game would have been the most efficient perfecto on record. He only needed 88 pitches (67 for strikes) to get through the entire game, and that pitch count includes the ones thrown to the 28th batter.

http://www.dailyfungo.com/

Remember what Crash says. Strikeouts are fascist.

Archived