Body language

ohmahgaw

Yeah, I'm not saying that body language doesn't exist. Hell, there is probably at least one woman somewhere who has pulled those poses and meant what he said. That doesn't mean you should trust an article found on a website like that about science.

Of course he'd say that he thinks she wanted it; if he didn't, he'd have to admit to being a rapist and why would anyone do that? You can cook up any kind of excuse weeks or months after the fact.

I think the point is that most of these behaviors are subconscious - it's not an act. There's a lot of truth to body language, but there are also miles and miles between 'opened posture indicating interest' and 'going to fuck your brains out in the restroom in the next five minutes'. Body language is useful as an indication of interest, in pick ups, poker, business negotiation, acting, understanding children, interrogation, and a host of other situations. But it's just an indication that still doesn't always tell the whole story.

"Keep in mind, all women are different and these interpretations are based within a flirting context."

The article makes slightly more sense keeping the above quote in mind. That being said, if you need to analyse an article like this as some kind of roadmap, all hope is lost.

There's no doubt that body language is a huge factor in trying to figure out how someone is feeling/thinking, but I can see how some women would feel offended by this.

On the other hand, this article isn't intended for women so it's obviously going to be written in a language that most dudes will understand and associate with.

The article didn't strike me as offensive so much as inaccurate. (FWIW, while there are unfortunate implications to cutting off the heads, it does make some sense not to include when you're focusing on body language. They're trying to show what different postures mean, and if there's a face you'd look to the face for cues, and that would be distracting.)

Crossed legs don't mean "I'll stay here with you as long as you like." I sit with my legs crossed almost 100% of the time. Even if I only intend to be there for 30 seconds. It's how I sit.

And having your feet pointed toward someone, if you're standing and talking to them, doesn't mean you're that interested in them, let alone in sleeping with them. It just means that's the direction you're facing. You might be talking to the person just to be polite, or to kill time while you wait for someone else to show up.

so much as inaccurate

agreed. much body language interpretation is standard frat-boy tavern lore; lotsa that article ran against the grain of my formative training in the tao.

that said, the eye dilation rule is the only one that i trust much.

Fine, I'll say it, since nobody else seems to want to...

You read an article on AOL, what did you think was going to happen, exactly?

"Keep in mind, all women are different and these interpretations are based within a flirting context"

Re quoting with a different emphasis. Most of the women in this thread that have taken issue with the accuracy of the article respond by 'that doesn't mean shit when I do it'. I'm going to go out on a limb and take a wild guess that something as subjective as body language can only be spoken of in the broadest, most general possible terms. The fact that such and such doesn't specifically apply to the reader really doesn't say much for or against the purported accuracy of the article.

Also, body language is by and large involuntary and sub conscious. Some women in this thread are adamant that they are not giving off these signals but I don't think the article suggests women consciously decide to give off these signals. It is quite possible that while you think you never do any such thing, that you actually partake of this or other body language with not a clue that you are doing so.

I have no idea how accurate this article is or if the guy who wrote it has any reasonable credentials whatsoever. Just playing a little devil's advocate.

I do think that if you read such an article with an intent to incorporate this new hidden knowledge into you club game this weekend, your fucking sad.

On the other hand, this article isn't intended for women so it's obviously going to be written in a language that most dudes will understand and associate with.

That's a bullshit excuse for this type of language: "She is postured like a young teenager. Her hand to her waist is not for power, but maybe for display (if she's thinking about anything at all)."

Fine, I'll say it, since nobody else seems to want to...

You read an article on AOL, what did you think was going to happen, exactly?

I didn't think anything would "happen" I just noticed the article and thought it stupid. I don't expect much from AOL, but the very fact that people are reading this pile of steaming shit is enough to annoy me. That's it. Are you trying to make me feel like an idiot for bringing it up? Because if so, I really don't give a shit.

"Keep in mind, all women are different and these interpretations are based within a flirting context"

Re quoting with a different emphasis. Most of the women in this thread that have taken issue with the accuracy of the article respond by 'that doesn't mean shit when I do it'. I'm going to go out on a limb and take a wild guess that something as subjective as body language can only be spoken of in the broadest, most general possible terms. The fact that such and such doesn't specifically apply to the reader really doesn't say much for or against the purported accuracy of the article.

Also, body language is by and large involuntary and sub conscious. Some women in this thread are adamant that they are not giving off these signals but I don't think the article suggests women consciously decide to give off these signals. It is quite possible that while you think you never do any such thing, that you actually partake of this or other body language with not a clue that you are doing so.

I have no idea how accurate this article is or if the guy who wrote it has any reasonable credentials whatsoever. Just playing a little devil's advocate.

I do think that if you read such an article with an intent to incorporate this new hidden knowledge into you club game this weekend, your fucking sad.

But see, women and men don't start conversations with "Hey, I am going to start flirting with you ok?" So often enough, one person believes the other is flirting when they are not. I tend to see men more confused by this than women. If a man is flirting with a woman, she usually tries to give him the benefit of the doubt and think "ok well maybe he's not flirting maybe he's just being nice" whereas when a woman is flirting, or not flirting, a guy will think "she wants to bang me"

And anyway, it wasn't the fact that body language was being analyzed that upset the women in this thread, it was the manner in which women were portrayed. I don't care if you are in a "flirting context" crossing your legs doesn't make you "obedient" anymore than pointing your toes makes you "ripe for the taking."

To be honest I'm shocked some of the men in this thread don't realize what the underlying issue is. Body language is real, no one here denies that. The article is full of shit and portrays the most innocent poses as "she wants you to ravish her" which is disgusting and offensive.

You will know when a woman wants to ravish you when she is ripping your clothes off. You will know when a woman wants to go home with you if she says "I want to go home with you"

Men would not write and read admittedly bad articles about female body-language in the context of romantic interactions if the burden of initiating sexual contacts were not mainly placed on their shoulders, while women usually enjoy the privilege of being approached and can relax and watch amused what kind of ridiculous things the guy does and says in order to win her favor.

So it's all women's fault. Are you really going to go there or are you joking? The only kind of men who write shit like this, or read shit like this in the hopes of scoring, are men who do not consider women to be people, just objects of their sexual desires. It's no wonder then, that men like that have trouble with women. Here's a hint. How about actually treating women like fellow, equal human beings for a change, I think that would do wonders.

I didn't think anything would "happen" I just noticed the article and thought it stupid. I don't expect much from AOL, but the very fact that people are reading this pile of steaming shit is enough to annoy me. That's it. Are you trying to make me feel like an idiot for bringing it up? Because if so, I really don't give a shit.

That's belied by your response... but no. I'm pretty much purely taking a shot at the quality of everything on AOL's front page/news feed/whatever it's called. It's utter tripe. Breathe.

It's all crap, of course. Except for the whole feet-pointing thing. It's totally true that if a woman points her foot at you, you're in.

Actually the only sure sign that you are in is when the feet point behind you.

And way to go on beheading the woman in the picture to dehumanize her. Womens' bodies are often represented in pieces such as that so it's easier to discount her humanity.

Yes yes, men are evil, we get it. But I thought maybe I'd point out that the man's head is cut off in the pictures as well. Because it's an article about BODY LANGUAGE. FOCUSED ON THE BODY.

This article reminds me of those ridiculous Cosmo articles; you know, the ones that claim (every week, it seems) to reveal What Men Are Really Thinking or provide A Translation Guide / User Manual To Guys. There might be a kernel of actual scientific research behind them, but they are usually inappropriately summarized and synthesized to the point of incoherence, then the author takes that nub of nonsense, mixes it into a stew of lazy stereotypes, and extrapolates that to draw an absurd conclusion ("If he doesn't propose to you within the first five minutes of meeting you, he's immature and probably has sexual fantasies about his mother!")

Body language is something that really exists, but I wouldn't recommend taking advice about it from a publication that features such Pulitzer-level articles as "The Eskimo Earpull and 5 Other Manliest Sports" and "6 World Cup Coaches Who Look Like James Bond Villains".

ding ding ding. Such articles are usually silly and fairly inaccurate or suggestive. But people in their quest to understand the opposite sex will read them. I can usually read a woman's body language fairly well, but there are those who need a bit of help in the flirting game.

I agree the article sucked and I understand where women might feel offended (hell, I felt offended by some of the dumb shit on there), but there is some truth to women giving off signals via body language. If you don't agree then you're either a fool or just being argumentative.

p.s. guys give off signals via body language, too. Just in case anybody in the Pissy Panties Brigade wishes to flame me.

Heh, the pissy pants brigade.... I thought it was only rumor.

The author seems to think every possible posture indicates a woman is ready to jump into bed with him. There's quite a few guys like that. And they refer to women in a similarly crude and juvenile way. If its genetic, I think natural selection is whittling it out of the gene pool. Most women dislike guys who assume every woman wants him.

Yet those types of men typically get a lot more women.... so the whittling process must not be working. Or maybe some women are missing the memo.

"Keep in mind, all women are different and these interpretations are based within a flirting context."

The article makes slightly more sense keeping the above quote in mind. That being said, if you need to analyse an article like this as some kind of roadmap, all hope is lost.

A lot of people seem to have missed this quote. The article is within a context of flirting and hooking up so of course it's going to be fucking suggestive about fucking. Not all women express the same things with their body language, it does not apply to all women or all situations. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Archived