American Politics # Whatever

BloodRider

Apparently, the bloke didn't grasp that, at one point, 'Alaska' was actually located in a temperate or tropical zone at one point and then drifted north.

What kind of crazy hogwash is this?

Everyone knows that Alaska is exactly where god put it 5 thousand years ago or so.

Sheesh.

Everyone knows that Alaska is exactly where god put it 5 thousand years ago or so.

Sheesh.

Not to mention that it WAS warmer in Alaska (and the whole globe) during the Eocene. Palm trees grew in Alaska. If it was further south, it was only a few degrees further south, and still what we'd call a polar region. It was the climate that was much warmer, not a geographic location in the tropics.

The Holocene Optimum, the Minoan Warm Period, the Roman Warm Period, and the Medieval Warm Period, were all warmer than it is now. During the Holocene Optimum, temps were on average 2-3 degrees C warmer than they are now, and there was a lot less sea ice than there is now. The last interglacial, around 125,000 years ago, was much, much warmer than this one.

And parts of Alaska didn't glaciate at all during the last Ice Age. And it was in the exact same spot it is now.

Has the Arctic Ocean always had ice in summer?

We know for sure that at least in the distant past, the Arctic was ice-free. Fossils from the age of the dinosaurs, 65 million years ago, indicate a temperate climate with ferns and other lush vegetation.

Based on the paleoclimate record from ice and ocean cores, the last warm period in the Arctic peaked about 8,000 years ago, during the so-called Holocene Thermal Maximum. A recent study suggests that 5,500 years ago, the Arctic had substantially less summertime sea ice than today. However, it is not clear that the Arctic was completely free of summertime sea ice during this time.

The last time that scientists can say confidently that the Arctic was free of summertime ice was 125,000 years ago, during the height of the last major interglacial period, known as the Eemian. Temperatures in the Arctic were warmer than now and sea level was also 4 to 6 meters (13 to 20 feet) higher than it is today because the Greenland and Antarctic Ice Sheets had partly melted.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/faq.html#summer_ice

They have not and never will be able to prove that fossil fuel burning is responsible for any so-called "global warming." They also need to show why global warming would be a bad thing--the polar bears seemed to survive the last much warmer interglacial just fine. But that's getting off topic. This isn't a global warming thread.

Sheesh.

See Swordfish, thats the problem with your posts. Given your history I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or toeing the party line.

They have not and never will be able to prove that fossil fuel burning is responsible for any so-called "global warming." They also need to show why global warming would be a bad thing--the polar bears seemed to survive the last much warmer interglacial just fine. But that's getting off topic. This isn't a global warming thread.

If your joking you need to put smilies in.

See Swordfish, thats the problem with your posts. Given your history I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, or toeing the party line.

I don't think Swordfish is a Republican, much less a creationist, (as far as I can tell) so I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Now I can't tell if YOU'RE being sarcastic!

:mellow:

I don't think Swordfish is a Republican, much less a creationist, (as far as I can tell) so

Correct. I'm neither.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Guilty.....

It's almost like we've put together your previous posts on things and sensed a pattern.

Crazy.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I'd call most of you "Conservatives", not Republicans.

I always think its interesting that a bunch of people think that Swordfish and I are Republicans just because we don't toe the Democratic party line on health care and some other issues.

Very interesting.

I never thought you were a Republican. Primarily since you seem to be willing to at least accept new evidence and based upon its quality reevaluate your ideas. Scott falls in that camp, too. Swordfish, nsm. Don't sell yourself short!

I always think its interesting that a bunch of people think that Swordfish and I are Republicans just because we don't toe the Democratic party line on health care and some other issues.

Very interesting.

Altogether common. "If you disagree with any of my political beliefs, you must be a member of the opposite party!'

It certainly makes things simpler, and people like simplicity.

So Americans remain in favor of drilling with some tweaks, is my take of public opinion. Given that, hopefully the spill will result in some better late than never measures:

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/104323-senior-senate-dem-to-unveil-plans-to-overhaul-offshore-drilling

If the Democrats play it right, they could leverage this mess into a push for a meaningful climate-change and alternative-energies bill.

If the Democrats play it right, they could leverage this mess into a push for a meaningful climate-change and alternative-energies bill.

It looks like that is the game plan once financial reform is reconciled, instead of immigration:

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/104337-lieberman-sees-20-swing-votes-on-carbon-caps-warns-again-false-energy-bill

I suspect part of the reason is that they already have energy/climate bills, while immigration legislation still needs to be written. I don't think immigration would have a chance of being done before midterms.

Altogether common. "If you disagree with any of my political beliefs, you must be a member of the opposite party!'

It's true you don't have to be a Republican to be against the liberal agenda, if you will, but I'm not sure how meaningful the distinction is in terms of coming across as partisan.

Not only have I never thought that you were a Republican, I don't think hardly anyone else did either

Yeah, I dunno either. Maybe in offshoot single topic political threads. Chataya has expressed conservative views in a couple of those, so I can see how people who don't read these threads, or threads where she's expressed liberal views, might think that. Especially over the past year, year and a half. People shouldn't assume based on one or two issues, but I would agree with Swordfish that it's common and certainly not something that's particular to Chataya (or Swordfish). I'm sure I would get plenty of folk assuming I was a Democrat on a more right leaning board, for instance. And possibly here also.

Yeah, I dunno either. Maybe in offshoot single topic political threads. Chataya has expressed conservative views in a couple of those, so I can see how people who don't read these threads, or threads where she's expressed liberal views, might think that. Especially over the past year, year and a half. People shouldn't assume based on one or two issues, but I would agree with Swordfish that it's common and certainly not something that's particular to Chataya (or Swordfish). I'm sure I would get plenty of folk assuming I was a Democrat on a more right leaning board, for instance. And possibly here also.

This is why I don't take too much account of polls in which more Americans identify as conservative than liberal. Self-identification is a tricky thing. Consider a person who is pro-gay rights, pro-choice, and pro-Iraq-invasion (I know a guy like this): he might call himself liberal, but I'll bet there are many lefties who'd disagree with him on the basis of that last issue alone. Same with conservatives and the first two stances. There are probably lots of conservatives who think that Ser Scot is liberal because he is pro-same sex marriage and supports the right of non-Christians to hold political office.

yes.

atheists are trusted less than jews or muslims holding office. And we know they're all shifty and amoral for not believing the baby jesus ubermensch.

There is a difference between people not wanting to vote for an atheist and people thinking that atheists shouldn't have the RIGHT to hold political office.

There probably are a few right-wingers who think there should be a legal prohibition on atheists holding office, but it would be a lot less than the number who wouldn't vote for an atheist themselves.

True, and none moreso than me.

Swordfish, how often have you voted Democrat in the last decade? And if the answer is never, how many times have you shunned the GOP to vote for another party?

I've voted for members of either major party only rarely in the past decade, and even then, mostly at the local level.

the last major party president I voted for was Clinton.

There is a difference between people not wanting to vote for an atheist and people thinking that atheists shouldn't have the RIGHT to hold political office.

There probably are a few right-wingers who think there should be a legal prohibition on atheists holding office, but it would be a lot less than the number who wouldn't vote for an atheist themselves.

There are 7 states that have "religious tests" which would prevent an atheist holding office but they are not enforced, and have been ruled unconsitutional.

My link

Archived