NBA Off-season

Rhom

The main rumor I've read about the Knicks is that they are signing Stoudemire. Seems unlikely that they'd get him and also keep Lee.

There have been rumors about everything so far. If they sign Amare to a max contract and let Lee walk i think im done as a Knick fan.

Honestly, barring Lebron, and given our lack of draft picks for the next two years my plan for a winning Knick team makes a lot of sense to me. Im pretty sure they could get Lee to accept a back loaded deal. He's certainly not worth max money.

There have been rumors about everything so far. If they sign Amare to a max contract and let Lee walk i think im done as a Knick fan.

Honestly, barring Lebron, and given our lack of draft picks for the next two years my plan for a winning Knick team makes a lot of sense to me. Im pretty sure they could get Lee to accept a back loaded deal. He's certainly not worth max money.

Well you still have 1st rounder next year. Granted, it´s whichever is worse between Knicks and Rockets.

Well you still have 1st rounder next year. Granted, it´s whichever is worse between Knicks and Rockets.

The Rockets will make the playoffs. That's how our luck goes.

The Jordan Bulls had two great players but also had a very deep role-playing team. I remember ppl saying that the Orlando Magic could beat the Bulls in '96 because they had a much better starting 5 with Penny, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, Horace Grant and Shaq. I remember "A great team with Luc Longley as the starting center? no way!" The Bulls swept them. Depth, depth, depth.

I'll go to my grave knowing that Dennis Rodman should have been the MVP of the finals vs the Sonics. Jordan looked tired, and won it on rep. Dennis made my beloved Sonics his bitches.

What is false about it? They lost in the finals twice to Chicago. Houston isn't from the east. And Stockton beat Houston w/ an epic 3-pointer when Hakeem was still playing.

Err what is false about it is that there were two years in Stockton and Malone's prime where Chicago did not have Michael Jordan. And the Jazz still didn't win. Ser Possum said that if the Bulls didn't exist as they were then Jazz would have won a championship, hence it is a false statement as it is unequivacobly wrong.

Trebla,

Nonsense :P You honestly think Chris Mullin is a HOF player? We are going to have to agree to disagree on Stockton and Malone. If there was a regular season game in which I wanted to run a nice pick and roll offense I might choose them to play. Otherwise not ever over the real huge stars unless I wanted to lose.

Slurk- Yeah, okay, you are right on Mullin. I really thought he had better numbers than he does.

IE- Dude Rodman was so awesome in that Finals. IIRC he had 20 rebounds twice in that series, including 11 offensive. His getting into Frank Brickowski's head was priceless!

IE- Dude Rodman was so awesome in that Finals. IIRC he had 20 rebounds twice in that series, including 11 offensive. His getting into Frank Brickowski's head was priceless!

<sigh>

Yep. And Brickowski was just the start.

That Sonics squad had some serious talent - funny reading the back and forth on the Jazz - but the Sonics were the 2nd winningest team of the 90's behind the Jordanaires. But the Sonics were mentally fragile. Kemp in particular was easy to intimidate. The squad that lost to the Nuggets in the first round was a great example. The only reason Mutumbo could make that play and get his mug on NBC intros for a decade was because Kemp went up and tried to lay the ball in. YOU'RE STRONG DUDE! DUNK THE DAMN BALL!!

Barkley was always great at getting in those Sonic team's heads too.

Well, how much do you think Lee is going to get elsewhere?

I haven't heard anything about this, so I'm purely speculating:

$11-$12M for next year, $70-$75 M for a 5 year contract.

I think your idea of Joe Johnson + Lee + Haywood would have been difficult to pull (without trading Gallinari), but not impossible. They would have to get Lee around $10M and Haywood around $7M. Could have happened, but that's probably on the lower end of the price range for both guys.

On the other hand, there is no way Knicks will be able to put together a decent package for Melo or Paul, so it's probably for the best that they didn't overpay Johnson in anticipation of such a scenario.

I don't think you can backload the deals in the NBA. Not really sure why (it may have something to do with the percentage limit on annual increases), but if it was possible, a lot of teams would be doing it.

I don't think you can backload the deals in the NBA. Not really sure why (it may have something to do with the percentage limit on annual increases), but if it was possible, a lot of teams would be doing it.

I think you can, but lee would sill be a bit out of price range in my scenario, apparently.

David Lee is willing to take a lower salary during the 2010-11 season to save the Knicks precious salary-cap space to make a run at high-end free agents next summer. But the issue for the Knicks is that based on Lee's overall asking price, even a slight reduction might not make a difference in the critical bottom line.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/pay-cut-for-lee-wouldn-t-help-knicks-cap-much-1.1318838?qr=1

I interpreted his statement as claiming that Utah would likely have beaten any other Eastern representative during the two years in which they faced Chicago. If you follow the arc of the Utah franchise, I think you can make a strong argument that the two teams that lost to Chicago were Utah at its absolute peak.

I think Utah definitely would have beaten the Heat in '97. However, in '98 Utah would have faced the Pacers who took the Bulls to 7 games. In fact, they were winning deep into the 4th quarter until the Bulls rallied. That team had Mark Jackson, Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin, Dale Davis, Rik Smits, Antonio Davis, Derrick McKey and Jalen Rose.

I interpreted his statement as claiming that Utah would likely have beaten any other Eastern representative during the two years in which they faced Chicago. If you follow the arc of the Utah franchise, I think you can make a strong argument that the two teams that lost to Chicago were Utah at its absolute peak.

Ah I see your take on it. However to me that just proves my point even more. Huge Stars do not in any way shape or form have only a two year window to win the championship.

Ah I see your take on it. However to me that just proves my point even more. Huge Stars do not in any way shape or form have only a two year window to win the championship.

They do when they are playing in the shadow of Michael Jordan.

How many others from that generation are put in the category of "if only?" Ewing for one. Dominique Wilkens for another. Charles Barkley. Clyde Drexler (until he hitched a ride on the Olajuwon express year 2.) If Robinson's career hadn't overlapped the end of the Jordan era and the beginning of Duncan.

I think Malone and Stockton cerainly qualify as superstars. What else do you call the career assists leader and the number 2 leading career scorer?

They do when they are playing in the shadow of Michael Jordan.

How many others from that generation are put in the category of "if only?" Ewing for one. Dominique Wilkens for another. Charles Barkley. Clyde Drexler (until he hitched a ride on the Olajuwon express year 2.) If Robinson's career hadn't overlapped the end of the Jordan era and the beginning of Duncan.

I think Malone and Stockton cerainly qualify as superstars. What else do you call the career assists leader and the number 2 leading career scorer?

I call them good players who I'd want if the game didn't mean anything. Otherwise they would be extremely likely to choke.

You missed the last few things though, they didn't play in the shadow of Jordan for 2 years in their prime, and they still won nothing. They played in a few years after Jordan, and still won nothing.

And Patrick Ewing has never been a "huge star" he is just a good player. He is on the KG level. Very good player but they won't win as the main star and will generally choke when it counts. Sadly for Ewing he never had a Paul Pierce to take the load off of him like KG did.

Sorry man. Looks like the Knicks signed Amare.

:: groans and whines in pain

i just....DON'T FUCKING GET IT!!! This is a typical Dolan move. It's beyond retarded. FUCK! What a dipfuck. God. :stillsick:

I don't understand your concern. Amar'e has always brought the level of effort and professionalism of the last six months to every game and practice of his entire career. It's not like he upped his effort because of an impending contract or something. Plus I'm sure the Knicks have something in place to get Steve Nash as well to ensure that Amar'e is just as good. You're overreacting.

hate you

Archived