Dornish Development (aDwD spoilers)

Guest Other-in-Law

I think you're misinterpreting matters. Had Robb died before naming a heir and with his wife not pregnant, then Sansa would be the presumed heir. Even this would be wrong, of course, because Bran and Rickon are still alive, but few know that. If Jon was indeed named heir by Robb, then he is actually the legal Lord of Winterfell right now, as far as the laws of the North are concerned. But that's another matter entirely. As of now, the situation looks like this to me:

IMHO, jon's legitimation is considered legal only by people who acknowledge robb as king in the north. if robb is not a king, jon's legitimation by robb is not legal. And robb is a rebel to most of the kindom...

IMHO, jon's legitimation is considered legal only by people who acknowledge robb as king in the north. if robb is not a king, jon's legitimation by robb is not legal. And robb is a rebel to most of the kindom...

Which is why I said "as far as the laws of the North are concerned." Still, if Robb's allies can somehow displace Roose Bolton, and they stay loyal to Robb, then Jon is king unless he refuses, in which case . . . well, that we don't know -- perhaps Robb's document prepared for such an outcome, perhaps not.

Edit: It occurs to me that a real shock twist would have Catelyn, using Robb's crown that she took back from Ryman Frey, fulfilling her dead son's wishes and crowning Jon the King of the North -- nobody would see that coming!

Edit: It occurs to me that a real shock twist would have Catelyn, using Robb's crown that she took back from Ryman Frey, fulfilling her dead son's wishes and crowning Jon the King of the North -- nobody would see that coming!

I will indeed be surprised if this happens. I would not be surprised if Jon killed UnCat thinking she was a wight, though. :D

Back on topic, the Ironborn theory is interesting, but I hope Quentyn doesn't die. From the spoilers I've seen, he sounds cool. Knowing GRRM, though, he probably will die, sparking all kinds of trouble for Dany and Dorne, especially if Doran is no longer in charge.

Back on topic, the Ironborn theory is interesting, but I hope Quentyn doesn't die. From the spoilers I've seen, he sounds cool. Knowing GRRM, though, he probably will die, sparking all kinds of trouble for Dany and Dorne, especially if Doran is no longer in charge.

I've long thought that it would be great, in a poetically just and ironic way, if Dany had a fairly easy landing in Dorne, with Doran welcoming her and crowds of Dornish cheering her arrival. It would prove one of Viserys' more outlandish fantasies true and make Jorah ("The small folk don't pray for your return - they pray for a long summer") wrong. Maybe Dany could then have a slight passing twinge of regret that Viserys wasn't there to see his dream come true.

While that might seem a bit anti-climactic, she'd still have to conquer the other six kingdoms.

While that might seem a bit anti-climactic, she'd still have to conquer the other six kingdoms.

Unless she's also allied with the Ironborn, who control much of the North and now parts of the Reach as well. And the Vale could side with her as well; no one knows what Littlefinger might do in reaction to Dany's arrival.

Unless she's also allied with the Ironborn, who control much of the North and now parts of the Reach as well.

That's overstating things quite a bit. The ironborn only ever really controlled a few castles. Even at the height of their power, when various Greyjoys controlled Winterfell, Moat Cailin, Deepwood Motte, and Torrhen's Square, they were unable to prevent Ramsay and Ser Rodrik from massing sizable armies to oppose them. Since then, their power has only degraded. They've lost Winterfell, forces were pulled out of the north for the kingsmoot and presumably never returned, they lost Moat Cailin to the Boltons and Deepwood Motte to Stannis... really, the ironborn force in the North controls one castle (Torrhen's Square) and has two galleys, and their highest ranking general (Asha) is in captivity.

Meanwhile, the ironborn hold on the Reach looks decidedly shaky. The Redwyne fleet should outnumber what's left of the ironborn fleet in Westeros, so I wouldn't count on them holding on the Shield Islands for very long.

• 1 month later...

Could be about Gregor Clegane being only mostly dead.

I think it will be this. The Dornish commonfolk are very nationalist - they haven't forgotten the death of Elia by Gregor, and they wanted war when they heard that the Red Viper had been killed. Doran plays a long game, whereas his people are impatient for vengeance. When it becomes known that Gregor is still walking around, and that his head isn't on the way to Dorne, the Dornish folk will demand action. There might be an uprising against Doran, or Myrcella might be killed by a mob, or both.

Martin has said that there will be a few Jaime / Cersei chapters in ADWD, so we might well see the unveiling of Gregor...

I will indeed be surprised if this happens. I would not be surprised if Jon killed UnCat thinking she was a wight, though. :D

That is what I thought, I also thought that Dorne might find out R+L=J and pay off Jon to yield his succession to the throne in their favor with something along the lines of stores of armor, warm clothes, many more prisoners (by not giving thieves a choice for a month?), and maybe even a small Dornish force to help defend the wall. Jon doesn't want to be king so I could easily see him selling his birthright to Dorne.

Could anyone else imagine Dany finally landing and being told "sorry princess but we have the Targeryan succession now and it is signed by the last two surviving Targeryans :lol:

Archived