US politics

The Progressive

If it prompts growth in the private sector, yes. Because the net effect will be increased tax revenues.

A trickle-down effect then, right Scot?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much evidence supporting your premise.

Now, semantically, you can legitimately say the Obama Administration did not cause the taxes to increase as they have nothing to do with the sunset provision.

This is perhaps the part that amuses me most.

In their zeal to defend obama at all costs, there is a segment of the population that misses the subtlety of the actual talking point 'we aren't raising taxes' into something even more absurd 'this isn't a tax increase'.

At least the original talking point is marginally factual.

Pedantic, deceptive and meaningless, but at least factual.

This notion that 'It's not a tax increase at all!' takes it all the way into the realm of the absurd, since no one seems to even be disputing the fact that taxes will, in fact, go up should the tax cuts lapse.

This notion that 'It's not a tax increase at all!' takes it all the way into the realm of the absurd, since no one seems to even be disputing the fact that taxes will, in fact, go up should the tax cuts lapse.

Wasn't the tax cut supposed to be temporary?

A trickle-down effect then, right Scot?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much evidence supporting your premise.

In fact, the wealthier a person is, the more likely that money from a tax cut is going to be saved rather then spent, which is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

Indeed. Taxes are going up.

The only relevant questions are "On who?" (mostly the well off as far as I've ever seen, unless the plan has changed) and "Is it a good idea?" (Yes).

Wasn't the tax cut supposed to be temporary?

i suppose that depends who you ask.

But again, making the case for the need for a tax increase is entirely different than denying that letting the tax cuts lapse is a tax increase.

The former can at least be legitimately argued, the latter is just nosensical.

Ser Rep.,

The tax cuts were passed via reconcilation to beat a fillabuster. The sunset provision was required because it passed via reconcillation. Therefore, I don't think it's quite fair to say the Republicans wanted the cuts to sunset or as a temporary measure. That was simply the only way they could get them passed.

Ser Rep.,

The tax cuts were passed via reconcilation to beat a fillabuster. The sunset provision was required because it passed via reconcillation. Therefore, I don't think it's quite fair to say the Republicans wanted the cuts to sunset or as a temporary measure. That was simply the only way they could get them passed.

That's a bit dastardly of an evasion, doncha'think? I mean, they (The GOP) did sign on the dotted line and they (various GOPs and even some Democrats) did use that for campaign fodder.

Call me a bleeding heart liberal or whatever the hell you want, but for some reason I'm just not feeling bad about these expiring tax cuts for the richest percentage of Americans after almost a decade of those richest percentage of Americans getting richer while just about everyone else continues to struggle.

And since we're talking about it, I can't believe Democrats went and used that evil, heartless, vile, most un-constitutional of practices, Reconciliation, to pass tax cuts for the richest Americans. All on Dubya's watch too... oh wait...

Swordfish,

But again, making the case for the need for a tax increase is entirely different than denying that letting the tax cuts lapse is a tax increase.

The former can at least be legitimately argued, the latter is just nosensical.

Well, it could also be considered simply restoring the status quo ante. :dunno:

Scot,

So? The fact is that they had to at least pretend that the tax cuts are temporary in order to get them passed. The new administration is now simply taking the Republicans at their (pretend) word.

A good example of removing an issue from context and looking at it through a teeny, tiny microscope.

Thanks.

Still, if the previous condition was one of higher taxes, then restoring it is a tax increase. So the point still stands.

A good example of removing an issue from context and looking at it through a teeny, tiny microscope.

A good example of a vague and meaningless post adding nothing to the topic at hand, while at the same time ignoring the actual posts being discussed that make the posters intent to disparage rather moot and comically transparent.

;)

Sorry, but I have no idea what this means.

I think it means they are trying to jerk you around with pointless semantics. Tax rates on the vast majority of taxpayers will increase, and I don't think anyone except some political junkies will care whether it was because the Administration increased them, or because it didn't stop the increase. The distinction is meaningless drivel to the people who have to pay those higher taxes.

But I would love to hear the Administration try to explain the increase in rates on that basis.

Feds sue to overturn Arizona immigration law

From the article:

Justice Department lawyers argued that the state statute should be declared invalid because it has improperly preempted federal law.

"In our constitutional system, the power to regulate immigration is exclusively vested in the federal government," the brief states.

"The immigration framework set forth by Congress and administered by federal agencies reflects a careful and considered balance of national law enforcement, foreign relations, and humanitarian concerns -- concerns that belong to the nation as a whole, not a single state."

"The Constitution and federal law do not permit the development of a patchwork of state and local immigration policies throughout the country. Although a state may adopt regulations that have an indirect or incidental effect on aliens, a state may not establish its own immigration policy or enforce state laws in a manner that interferes with federal immigration law. The State of Arizona has crossed this constitutional line."

President Barack Obama said in a speech July 1 that the measure has "fanned the flames of an already contentious debate." Among other things, it puts pressure on police officers to enforce rules that are "unenforceable" while making communities less safe -- in part, by making people more reluctant to report crimes, he said.

It also has "the potential of violating the rights of innocent American citizens and legal residents, making them subject to possible stops or questioning because of what they look like or how they sound.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Archived