Best/Worst 5 POV characters?

reduxien

Favorites:

Jamie, 2nd favorite living character. (Third all-time)

Theon, favorite living character. (Second all-time)

Tyrion, everyone likes Tyrion so he isn't on my favorites list.

Cersei, is it bad that I love to watch her flounder?

Danny, I loved the DragonQueen.(Books 1-3)

Groaners:

Brienne, I just want her to die...

Sansa, what a fucking idiot.

Bran, he's so damn boring.

Jon, I hate this guy more than I hate Roose Bolton.

Danny, I used to love the DragonQueen. (Book 5)

Explain why you hate Jon, his Chapters usually have the most going on.

I've never gotten this impression from anything in the books.. only from people who really like Jaime. It was obvious that he did it to save his own neck and Cercei's.

I don't know. Jaime and Cersei realise that no one can ever know, but not solely cos it would put a cramp in their sex life: revelation of the affair would lead to allegations of sexual treason, exposure of the royal bastards, and total destabilisation of Lannister-Baratheon administration in KL, bringing down their whole house.

Jaime's kind of a jerkass, but he doesn't seem dim enough to think it would only be his and Cersei's necks on the line.

Best:

1) Jaime - good character development makes him interesting as hell

2) Theon - really the best part of ADWD

3) Sansa - While she was a brat in the first book, I never HATED her. She was a young preteen who did some stupid things, but she's developing into something more than a clueless ditz with every book.

4) Brienne - She's not a great detective, but her story is poignant and she's one of the few truly "good" characters

5) Tyrion - at least up until ADWD. Not sure I like the way his character is going from there.

Worst:

1) Jon - meh, Gary Stu. Stopped liking him when be became the best at everything at the Wall

2) Dany - Mary Sue. Liked her better when she was just a Kahleesi trying to adapt to a new culture. Not digging her one bit as Mother of Dragons.

3) Davos - I like his character as he's one of the few good people in the story, but his chapters are a bit tedious and just not paced as well as they could be.

4) Bran - just sorta dull

5) Catelyn - Because I just don't like her much anyway, and found her chapters boring

Best:

Tyrion

Arya

The Bran chapters in aDwD: became really sad and interesting after I have read the Dunk and Egg series.

Ned: Though not a big fan of him, but his chapters are so rich. And he knew the mother of Jon Snow.

Jon: The wildlings are fun!

Honorary mention: Theon

Worst:

Brienne: informative but boring.

Catelyn: can't stand her.

Dany:

Damphair: Yeah I get it. What is dead can never die, but to be CPR'ed.

and/or adwd pov:

Asha. The only exciting moment is to see Theon emerging fro the snowstorm.

Victarion pre-adwd. Boring.

I used to think Cersei/Jaime chapters were boring. But they became much more interesting on re-read and to see how blind Cersei was, and how good she thought she was is good reading.

Best:

1) Sansa Stark - her evolution has been pretty riveting so far and she is poised to become a major player pretty soon.

2) Tyrion Lannister - AGOT-ASOS. Witty and entertaining, starts out good and turns dark.

3) Cersei Lannister - burn it all, Cersei!

4) Arya Stark - I'm curious to see what becomes of her. I especially loved her with Sandor Clegane, and in the House of Black and White.

5) Jaime Lannister - I hate him and want him to die soon, but I have to admit I read more closely when he appears.

The Stark girls and the three major villains as favorites. Huh. I wonder what this says about me. :P

*Honorable mentions to Theon and Davos. I don't like Theon, but his chapters are riveting, and I adore Davos. Honorable AND practical.

Worst:

1) Samwell Tarly - when he killed an Other, it really took away from their formidable visage.

2) Brienne of Tarth - I liked her when she was a secondary character. In AFFC I thought she would bore me to death.

3) Aeron Greyjoy - please go drown yourself for real.

4) Daenerys Targaryen - so disconnected from the main storyline, and I don't want her ruling Westeros.

5) Jon Snow - improving, but still less than riveting.

Best:

1) Sansa Stark - her evolution has been pretty riveting so far and she is poised to become a major player pretty soon.

2) Tyrion Lannister - AGOT-ASOS. Witty and entertaining, starts out good and turns dark.

3) Cersei Lannister - burn it all, Cersei!

4) Arya Stark - I'm curious to see what becomes of her. I especially loved her with Sandor Clegane, and in the House of Black and White.

5) Jaime Lannister - I hate him and want him to die soon, but I have to admit I read more closely when he appears.

The Stark girls and the three major villains as favorites. Huh. I wonder what this says about me. :P

*Honorable mentions to Theon and Davos. I don't like Theon, but his chapters are riveting, and I adore Davos. Honorable AND practical.

Worst:

1) Samwell Tarly - when he killed an Other, it really took away from their formidable visage.

2) Brienne of Tarth - I liked her when she was a secondary character. In AFFC I thought she would bore me to death.

3) Aeron Greyjoy - please go drown yourself for real.

4) Daenerys Targaryen - so disconnected from the main storyline, and I don't want her ruling Westeros.

5) Jon Snow - improving, but still less than riveting.

You too Alexia i don't know where all this contempt for Jon Snow is coming from but as a sworn brother of the Watch i will defend my Lord Commander to the death.Aye the North Remembers but know this THE WATCH NEVER FORGETS

My favorites:(I have to do more than 5 each)

Jamie

Tyrion

Sam (I LIKE Sam! Screw everyone who doesn't. You probably beat up fat kids in school)

Cersei (Just because I like to see her thwarted and in misery)

Jon

Brienne

Theon

Cat

Most disliked:

Dany (Please God make her go away. Sick sick sick of her)

Any of the rest of the Ironborn

Any of the Martells

Anyone in Meereen.

Sansa (she's just okay - don't hate her, don't look forward to reading about her)

Arya (enjoyed her at first, sick of the stupid temple storyline now)

Best:

Tyrion

Jaimie

Daenerys

Jon

Arya

Worst:

Brienne(!)

Bran

Sam

Cersei

Davos

:agree:

Best in no particular order:

Jaime

Sansa (post AGoT)

Tyrion

Arya

Daenerys

(+ others but must keep it to a minimum)

Sometimes hard (and sometimes really hard) to read:

Brienne (x2000)

Bran (pre last book :D )

Davos

Samwell

Areo Hotah

Favorites:

1. Tyrion: The little guy is just too witty. And always in the midst of trouble.

2. Bran: I like Bran as a character. He's the better Stark. And only in Bran's POVs you get to hear about Hodor.

3. Alayne: Just because I get to hear Littlefinger.

4. Jamie: Devious meets Chivalrous. Need to say more?

5. Cersei: Intrigue always builds up in Cersei's chapters.

I personally prefer the Lannister chapters because you get to read what they're thinking and how they respond.

Worst:

1. Brienne: Ugh. Brienne's take on life annoys me to the bone.

2. Catelyn: Apologies to Lady Stark's fans, if there are any, but Catelyn to me is a stuck-up bitch. And also, she effectively manages to ruin every available possibility out there.

3. Samwell: Too vanilla.

4. Theon: Can't get any lower.

5. Sansa: I don't like Sansa when she's being herself. The little bubble she lives was in dire need of bursting.

My favoritts are:

Tyrion - I feel that alot of the story happens around him, love his wits

Jamie - Love to see how he changes, and how he explains his actions (kingslaying and so on)

Ned - Gotta love Ned

Davos - Dont know why, but I just enjoy this character, maybe because he reminds me some of Ned

Dont have so many on my worst list,, but one of them in Theon Greyjoy, the way he betrayed Robb and joined his father in the attack on the North, and Winterfell..

Best:

1. Bran - his chapters are about the best elements of ASOIF: Greenseers, wargs, COTF, White Walkers and the War for the Dawn.

2. Davos - in a series full of scum bags, it's nice to read about a decent, honest guy, basically Ned 2.0.

3. Ned - because he's the Ned.

4. Jon - great character and his chapters also deal with some of the nice stuff present in Bran's chapters.

5. Tyrion - but only in ACOK.

Worst:

1. Daenerys - There's no POV worse than hers, the exact definition of a self-entitled douchebag, sometimes I had to look for a summary because I couldn't get through her chapters.

2. Aeron Greyjoy - Besides being stupid fanatical priest who worships a wight he only knows one phrase and keeps repeating it over and over.

3. Cercei - Knowing her thoughts and what she does with Qyburn only made me hate and despise her more.

4. Theon - His chapters in ACOK were about only 3 things: sex, thinking about how awesome he is and doing moronic things trying to prove he's not a complete fool.

5. Jaime - I really don't care reading about some coward who tried to murder a child.

Favorites:

Jaime - I had to force myself not to skip ahead to his parts in ASOS, and this is the only POV character where I have sections notated in my Kindle for rereading later. All of his scenes post-amputation have had me riveted wanting to see how he evolves as a character.

Tyrion - I love his sense of humor and craftiness, but also his melancholy at times. I always root for him to triumph over his foes. I have a hard time picking between him and Jaime as my favorite character in the series.

Theon - Not until later, though.

Ned - I really miss him. Even when I knew he was making huge, huge errors in judgement, I really liked his decency.

Arya - Although sometimes her storyline is frustrating because she's thwarted in her efforts so often, I love her spark and determination.

Least Favorite:

Brienne - I actually really, really love this character, but she had rotten POV chapters in AFFC where everything she did felt completely pointless. I hope this changes.

Sansa - I just want to smack this little idiot. Her chapters more often than not are a complete chore to slog through.

Catelyn - I'm torn on this POV - while a lot of interesting things happen in her chapters, I'm so annoyed by her self righteousness and poor judgement that I can never fully sympathize with her. I like her chapters, but I don't care for her at all.

Sam - Like Brienne, I really do like this character but his chapters could be very frustrating, especially when he'd give up. I skimmed his chapters a lot.

Dany - I want to like the Dany chapters again, I really do. I enjoyed her parts in AGOT where she grew from child to woman, but after that I felt like I was reading the same stuff over and over and over and she wasn't progressing as a character and kept making the same types of mistakes without learning from them. The only times she doesn't completely bore me are when she's doing something with the dragons.

This is being written while I'm currently halfway through my first read of A Feast for Crows.

Top 5

1. Jon Snow...all the fun stuff happens in his POV

2. Tyrion Lannister...especially during A Clash of Kings

3. Arya Stark...love the dark little monster she is evolving into

4. Catelyn Stark...a lot of big moments seen from her POV and she plays the grieving mother so very well

5. Davos Seaworth...the only eyes into whats going on with Stannis

Worst 5

1. Sansa Stark...god i hate you Sansa, i hate you so much, you just make me so angry, why do people like you, I just, I just don't understand

2. Brienne...you're just so plain and boring and weak, stop wandering around and do something interesting

3. Theon Greyjoy...hormonal little perv with delusions of grandure

4. The Damphair...drowning people is not a religion you fraud!

5. Daenerys Targaryen...this one is complicated, when i turn the page and see her name at the chapter head I usually lose interest, put the book down, come back and keep reading a few hours later to continue only to have actually really enjoyed the chapter in the end. So i dislike you because you make me stop reading but i actually rather like you.

Favorite Non-POV

1. Quorin Halfhand

2. Oberyn Martell

3. Beric Dondarrion

4. Jaqen H'ghar

5. Bronn

In my opinion,

Best 5:

-Arya

-Theon

-Tyrion

-Sansa (She's always in the heat of the action, or part of LF's schemes)

-Jaime

Worst 5:

-Arys Oakheart (I mean seriously? What was the point of that?)

-Aeron Damphair

-Arianne Martell

-Catelyn

-Merrett Frey (I can't really think of another POV I don't like... Except maybe Bran in the first two books)

Necessarily in that order

Archived