Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

I think we may be giving a bit much credit to Brienne... she either yells something that gives the reader some insight to future happenings in the books, or she yells some gibberish. Let's really look at this. She has a noose around her neck, running out of breath, in a panic, and she actually manages to think over the single word that will save her AND yell it out in this situation? Even if she did choose a good word, someone still has to let her down, and by the time someone did that she may be dead...

Her two possible mindsets are 1 - attempting survival "sword" 2 - despairing and calling our for that which she most desires "jaime"

"I'm assuming here that her sense of honor will preclude her from just getting on a horse and saying "ha ha, I sure fooled you""

Honor, honor; lemmesee. Wasn't that what got Ned Stark separated from his head?

How about saying "Look, bitch, I've been riding all over East Bumfuck looking for your frickin' daughter, who would never have been in jeopardy if you'd cared as much about her and the rest of your kids as you did about your moronic ambitions and who killed your fat crazy sister's old man,and as thanks you strung me up, so I think we're just about even now and if I'm lucky I'll never see your ghastly face again. Jaime Lannister of the 'shit honor' treated me with more respect than you have, so hang out with your skanky pals hanging Freys until somebody figures out a way to kill you for good."

That's as she rides away, mind you, not while the noose is still around her neck.

:P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH to Brienne's speech...oh man

I really hope her last word is "Bitch", but I doubt it.

LMFAO can you imagine? "Any last words?" "Yeah. Bitch."

I have to agree with you. This literary device is getting used too much. Consider that GRRM has a lot more characters to dispose of, including Euron Croweye. Recall Dany's foreseeings in the House of the Undying in Qarth. :D

"Where is the regiment riding?"

"To hell, Sharp, or to glory. It depends on one's point of view."

haha hold on, which of the Qarth visions concerned Euron Crow's Eye?

How about saying "Look, bitch, I've been riding all over East Bumfuck looking for your frickin' daughter, who would never have been in jeopardy if you'd cared as much about her and the rest of your kids as you did about your moronic ambitions and who killed your fat crazy sister's old man,and as thanks you strung me up, so I think we're just about even now and if I'm lucky I'll never see your ghastly face again. Jaime Lannister of the 'shit honor' treated me with more respect than you have, so hang out with your skanky pals hanging Freys until somebody figures out a way to kill you for good."

Agreed. This sums up my whole thinking on the situation.

Hopefully this clarifies everything for you. Stoneheart did not know the name of the sword or it's origins other than it's Lannister markings.

You know, as I read that passage I thought the same as you - only that she recognized it as being marked as a Lannister sword and thus implies that Brienne is a 'false friend'. However, upon reading this again I now wonder how unlikelyit is that UnCat would not know the history of the Valyrian swords throughout Westerosi. IIRC, there was a detailed description and history of the blade in AGoT in one of Ned's POV chapters. There are quite a few posts on the board about other swords now long lost. Is it possible that she has deduced that this was Ned's sword now reforged? I mean, the passage clearly identifies the unique property of the metal. That doesn't show up on just any old sword, right?

You know, as I read that passage I thought the same as you - only that she recognized it as being marked as a Lannister sword and thus implies that Brienne is a 'false friend'. However, upon reading this again I now wonder how unlikelyit is that UnCat would not know the history of the Valyrian swords throughout Westerosi. IIRC, there was a detailed description and history of the blade in AGoT in one of Ned's POV chapters. There are quite a few posts on the board about other swords now long lost. Is it possible that she has deduced that this was Ned's sword now reforged? I mean, the passage clearly identifies the unique property of the metal. That doesn't show up on just any old sword, right?

If the blade never leaves its sheath, it has no visible indicators of being anything but a common steel blade

If the blade never leaves its sheath, it has no visible indicators of being anything but a common steel blade

I'm assuming that the quote below, as taken from an earlier post, is an accurate quote from Martin's text:

“Don’t we, though?†The big man laughed. “I think we might. There’s a stink of lion about you, lady.â€

“That’s not so.â€

Another of the outlaws stepped forward, a younger man in a greasy sheepskin jerkin. In his hand was Oathkeeper. “This says it is.†His voice was frosted with the accents of the north. He slid the sword from its scabbard and placed it in front of Lady Stoneheart. In the light from the firepit the red and black ripples in the blade almost seem to move, but the woman in grey had eyes only for the pommel: a golden lion’s head, with ruby eyes that shone like two red stars.

Sounds to me like it was taken out of its sheath else we wouldn't know about the red and black ripples. Now, the text also indicates that she only has eyes for the pommel, but is that implying that she did NOT see the fact that it was Valyrian steel? Maybe she was simply stunned or horrified that her husband's blade now was a Lannister blade. *shrug* Just a thought...

I'm assuming that the quote below, as taken from an earlier post, is an accurate quote from Martin's text:

“Don’t we, though?†The big man laughed. “I think we might. There’s a stink of lion about you, lady.â€

“That’s not so.â€

Another of the outlaws stepped forward, a younger man in a greasy sheepskin jerkin. In his hand was Oathkeeper. “This says it is.†His voice was frosted with the accents of the north. He slid the sword from its scabbard and placed it in front of Lady Stoneheart. In the light from the firepit the red and black ripples in the blade almost seem to move, but the woman in grey had eyes only for the pommel: a golden lion’s head, with ruby eyes that shone like two red stars.

Sounds to me like it was taken out of its sheath else we wouldn't know about the red and black ripples. Now, the text also indicates that she only has eyes for the pommel, but is that implying that she did NOT see the fact that it was Valyrian steel? Maybe she was simply stunned or horrified that her husband's blade now was a Lannister blade. *shrug* Just a thought...

No the bit where he slides it from the scabbard says its been taken out of the sheath.

Also "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" were the last words Robb heard, Catelyn heard "she has gone mad, kill her" or something like that.

In the light from the firepit the red and black ripples in the blade almost seem to move, but the woman in grey had eyes only for the pommel: a golden lion’s head, with ruby eyes that shone like two red stars.

You folks need to work on your reading comprehension. She could not know and she did not know the sword was made from a piece of Ice.

Now as to Brienne's word, sword, what meaning could that have on anybody at the hanging? Maybe she says R'hllor.

You folks need to work on your reading comprehension. She could not know and she did not know the sword was made from a piece of Ice.

Gee, that's my problem. And I thought I was just playing the game of 'what if'. Let me return to my remedial English course. :P

Brienne herself would choose the noose. The problem comes in ith her companions. She has to much honor to let them simply for the sake of that honor. She will choose the sword. IMO

Now we have, as i beleive was stated earlier, a truly interesting situation. An honorable warrior with two oaths. One she is honor bound to carry out because of two oaths, to jamie and to Catlyn. And the other to kill a man that she is falling in love with. All of which must be carried out with a Valyrian steel blade called Oathkeeper.

quite a kunundrum

Hopefully this clarifies everything for you. Stoneheart did not know the name of the sword or it's origins other than it's Lannister markings.

Not really. Those snippets didn't say anything about it. In fact, based on their reactions, it seems they know more than they are letting on.

-SoJ

Someone mentioned earlier that Stoneheart was not present during the hanging. They also made a good point that if she was not there, then the only words to stop the hanging would be "sword" or something that would indicate that.

I was also trying to think of a word that would appeal to all the bandits in the group, in case Stoneheart was not there. I was wondering if she could have said "sapphires" or something. It saved her before, but thats just a fleeting thought. :unsure:

As much as I would hate to say it, but I think "sword" or something like it would be my guess. I don't see any other way that Brienne could get out of this situation.

On a more comical note, she could have yelled "Ouch" :P

You know what? I began to think some more after posting my last post. What if UnCat wanted Brienne to choose "noose"? Maybe she was testing Brienne's honor. Surely, UnCat wouldn't listen to a bunch of bandits saying that she "smelled of lion". Granted, there was evidence to suggest that she was Lannister now (due to the sword), but I think that UnCat wouldn't be so moved to judgement so easily. Did she take into the account how Brienne was found? How she helped the orphans in the inn?

I know that we believe Uncat to be a ruthless bitch now, but we have little evidence to suggest that. We only assume that she is because of the Red Wedding and Thoros' words.

When she ordered to "hang them", she might have been trying to pressure Brienne into saying the words, I don't think not making the choice was the default to "noose".

In any case, if Stoneheart was not present at the hanging, then I have just wasted my breath. It was never mentioned if she followed them outside or not.

Archived