Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

Nah, i highly doubt briennes last wrod was stannis, i mean look at the pages before, how she was asking for jamie. I beleive her last word she yelled was for jaime, asking for him to save her, but hell i may be wrong, and what do we know that she's dead?

Martin has a neet nack for making us think some people are dead and some are living, look at the onion knight, i beleived he was dead at the end of "a storm of swords" i even thought ricken and bran were caught by theon and killed, for all we know stoneheart cut her down after she said her word.

But i strongly beleive that her last word was jaime, if that was not it the maybe for pod or for the knight she was travelling with, but we can't know for sure, we'd have to ask Martin what her last word was, but i still have my beliefs that she could be alive.

What if she said Stannis?

Quoted from aCoK, p.562 US paperback.

''No, but you have courage. Not battle courage perhaps but ... I don't know ... a kind of woman's courage. And I think, when the times comes, you will not try and hold me back. Promise me that. That you will not hold me back from Stannis.''

Catelyn could still hear Stannis saying that Robb's turn too would come in time. It was like a cold breath on the back of her neck. ''When the time comes, I will not hold you back.''

Aaaarg! I just finished reading this chapter, and had the exact same thought! I cam here to post it but you beat me to it!

"KHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN"

LOL. You beat me to it.

...or "Arya" (even though Stoneheart will know her daughter is alive, Brienne doesn't know that Stoneheart knows)...

*sputter* *sputter*. Wha? Stoneheart knows Arya is alive? What did I miss?

UnCat does not know anything about Arya. (Or else, someone please correct me and fill me in.) Brienne has one word (one chance) to stop her death. It's got to be one word that sends shock waves into uncat.

She's already had her choice - she didn't choose; the time for "sword" is passed. She's already talked about Jamie and has been deemed, um, a traitor (of what? doesn't matter) to unCat in this respect. The sword, "Ice", isn't the symbol it used to be; also, I think that's too generic a word for the effect we need.

"Ayra"

Is the only word that will make any difference. (IMHO)

Anhooo... UnCat is being such a Bee-itch (boy, death really changes a person, doesn't it?) that Brienne should simply end it like Tony Montana (Scarface): "F__ You!" (yeah, two words, I know)

I don't know if this has been suggested, but maybe Brienne screams 'sword'. She's asked to kill the KingSlayer. Well technically that term could apply to a lot of people. Her King was Renly therefore she could kill Stannis. Or she could go after the Frey's for killing King Robb. I know its just its not exactly what UnCat wants but if she promised to kill the 'KingSlayer' and went after one of the others she would not be breaking any oath and not ruining her honor that is so important to her.

Brienne herself would choose the noose. The problem comes in ith her companions. She has to much honor to let them simply for the sake of that honor. She will choose the sword.
Why do people think that her choosing "sword" in any way lets her companions live? Was that actually said in the text? It seems to me that if Catelyn is going to let them hang anyway, she would probably do so whether or not Brienne chooses the killing quest.

What if the word was "Gendry"? She certainly realized the significance of it and it might be a weird enough thing for her to say to make her executioners pause.

For me it's not about what Brienne says but why GRRM chooses not to just tell us what the word is. What is the harm in telling us the word? Wouldn't revealling the word create a bigger hype for the next couple novels? Instead of discussing what she said we'd be discussing why she said it, and that is a much more exciting discussion if you ask me.

What is the harm in telling us the word?

No harm. But it's exactly like the cliffhanger in CoK. Does Brienne kill Jaime? Or not?

Then you read the Catelyn chapter again, and it becomes pretty clear that the entire conversation was for finding out whether or not Jaime is a liar. He isn't. He even freely admits to pushing Bran out of the window. After ascertaining that, Cat can safely accept his vow. So we can figure out that Brienne frees Jaime instead of killing him. Clear enough after an alert re-read. (Or, like me, you could just cheat and start SoS on the same afternoon...)

The situation in FfC is the same. The conversation that Brienne just had was basically:

"Hmmm or ffgrxmm?" said the thing that once was Catelyn.

Brienne shifted her babelfish. "Sword or noose", it came back.

Brienne sulked: kill Jaime or be hanged for a turncloak? Well, I have the hots for the cripple, so I won't renew my oath to Cats. "I will not make that choice."

"Hmmm or ffgrxmm?" repeated Cat.

Brienne whistled and pretended to not understand.

"Hmmm or ffgrxmm?" louder this time.

Brienne put her fingers in her ears. "Nah-na-na-na-nah! I can't hear you."

One of the outlaws pulled her towards the gallows.

Well, since I love Jaime so much, I guess I will give my life for him right here. Yes. That seems the proper cause of action for a knight. How honourable.

Brienne congratulated herself for figuring that out while the noose was put around her neck.

"Hmmm or ffgrxmm?" repeated Catelyn.

Then Brienne saw that Pod and Hyle were going to hang as well. She quickly figured out the logic: since they ride with her, and she just admitted being a turncloak, the will hang as well. Guilt by association. Not fair! I wanted to make stubborn moral choices that only affect myself!

Just before they all died she screamed a word.

So tell me: you really think she screamed "ffgrxmm"?

I think GRRM made it pretty easy for us to figure out what she says.

I'll never understand all the speculation about Briennes one word. :rolleyes:

Stoneheart specifically told her she had to choose between the noose and the sword. She chose the noose rather than betraying Jaime. But while choking changed her mind about dying (on seeing Pod) and shouted a word.. Hmmm.. Noose or sword, i choose noose! Oh wait i've changed my mind.. Stannis! :rolleyes:, Oh no mean Sword!

I'll never understand all the speculation about Briennes one word. :rolleyes:

Stoneheart specifically told her she had to choose between the noose and the sword. She chose the noose rather than betraying Jaime. But while choking changed her mind about dying (on seeing Pod) and shouted a word.. Hmmm.. Noose or sword, i choose noose! Oh wait i've changed my mind.. Stannis! :rolleyes:, Oh no mean Sword!

I'm with you Grimsquaker, you got the right of it :P

Just a hunch. Somehow Brienne might have unriddled where and with whom's help Sansa escaped kings landing. She knows Dontos is involved and to where they took her by boat. Can she possibly have enough info to make the right connection. And someone fooled a fool. Tyrion is in disquise but hands out small bits of information with his incoherent answers. If so her word is...

Littlefinger

Just a hunch. Somehow Brienne might have unriddled where and with whom's help Sansa escaped kings landing. She knows Dontos is involved and to where they took her by boat. Can she possibly have enough info to make the right connection. And someone fooled a fool. Tyrion is in disquise but hands out small bits of information with his incoherent answers. If so her word is...

Littlefinger

Hei, I like Brienne dearly, but have so far seen no evidence that her deduction capabilities are even nearing the credit you accord her with this hunch :)

Archived