Brienne's one word.

Sun Tzu

There must be an obvious reason for nobody saying this yet, but could she have hollered "Sapphires!!"

It saved her before...

That's pretty funny. That would not work here. I don't believe that Cat is someone that is going to be bought even when she was alive and especially not in the state that she's in now. Sapphires aren't going to save her now. Whatever word it is I can feel reasonably certain is not going to be sapphires.

OK, this is just fantasy spun from my own twisted imagination, but her one word was "Jaime." Because she had just seen Jaime step out of the woods. Jaime sees what is going on, saves Brienne, then he and Stoneheart start working together to bring down Cersai.

The only thing in your theory that could give this any merit is that the outlaws ARE in fact in the general area that Jamie is in since you already know that Tom O'Sevens is the singer with Jamie and that the Frey (Is it Ryman?) and his entourage are ambushed and hung after Jamie throws him out of the camp for incompetence and his treatment of Edmure Tully. Now, just because the outlaws are in this area...does that mean that Cat is with THIS group of outlaws? Remember when Arya was taken by Tom, Anguy and Lem? Lord Beric and Thoros were not with them as of yet. They had to travel for days and even consult that old hag to find out where they were. What I am suggesting is that perhaps Cat (like Beric before her) doesn't always travel with the rest of the group. I'm sure that she doesn't lurk in the forest alone but the outlaws have been known to travel in small bands of 3 (scouts) which is how Arya, HotPie and Gendry were taken.

Let's say that Cat is in the area of Jamie...Brienne is being hanged. I don't foresee a group of outlaws hanging out within walking or even shouting distance of where this army is. 1. You run the risk of scouts seeing you, someone running off in the woods to piss or get it on with some serving girl etc; 2. You would definetely hear the screams of the condemned; 3. As an outlaw you would hear the sound of marching troops and cavalry approaching.

Next...Jamie just got finished taking Cat's childhood home and former home to her father. Her brother is a prisoner and so is her daughter-in-law so to speak. Not to mention the Red Wedding and Cat's daughter Sansa being married to the imp and Arya still not accounted for (however I believe that Cat has to know that Arya still lives by now). I know that there are points that I am probably forgetting to add but I'll leave that to Happy Ent to correct my errant ways. If Jamie were to stumble across Cat (or un-Cat as I've seen her referred to) she certainly wouldn't be alone and Jamie probably wouldn't be either (unless he was out practicing his left-handed sword-play with Payne)...there wouldn't be any talk. At this point in the story I don't see any room for an alliance between Cat and Jamie. Not after everything that has happened.

That's pretty funny. That would not work here. I don't believe that Cat is someone that is going to be bought even when she was alive and especially not in the state that she's in now. Sapphires aren't going to save her now. Whatever word it is I can feel reasonably certain is not going to be sapphires.

Hey, it was worth a shot.

Anhooo... UnCat is being such a Bee-itch (boy, death really changes a person, doesn't it?) that Brienne should simply end it like Tony Montana (Scarface): "F__ You!" (yeah, two words, I know)

Catelyn? Stark? We are talking about the same person here, right? I dont think anything changed. :rofl:

As for what Brienne said...

LEEERROOOOOYYYYYYYYYY

As opposed to the rest of us who haven't. :o

Who's Brienne? :leaving:

Are you serious? Ok. If you weren't serious then you only have yourself to blame for me telling you who she is. Brienne is the Maiden of Tarth...the Isle of Sapphires. She's the daughter of some lord who's name I don't recall.

Anyway...this is a brief description too...she is freakishly big and strong. She has tiny breasts and always prefers to dress in armor. She is called Brienne the Beauty because she's very hard on the eye to look upon.

She became one of Renly's Rainbow Guards after defeating Ser Loras in a tourney. She was in the pavilion with Lady Stark when Renly was killed. She then fled with Cat Stark to Riverrun and became a sworn sword of Lady Cat. She was then tasked with taking Jamie Lannister back to KL in exchange for Cat's daughters Arya and Sansa.

She got Jamie back to KL only to find out that Sansa and Arya were gone. Jamie gave her a letter from King Tommen stating that she was on King's business in finding either or Arya and Sansa. She is then captured by outlaws being led by half dead Cat Stark now called Stoneheart (who was killed during the Red Wedding and was brought back by Beric) and is now at the end of a rope because Cat/Stoneheart has said that she's borken her vows or won't do as she is commanded: Kill Jamie Lannister.

I'm going to get crucified for this by some others. Remember...this is the 10 cents version. There's more to it than what I've said.

All apologies, morgoth. I wasn't serious, but I did enjoy your character synopsis... seriously. ;)

:cheers:

no need for apologies. I thought that I was going to catch shit from other people about divulging the info. I didn't really think that you were serious but I played it safe. Glad you enjoyed the synopsis. :sick:

I'm pretty sure, myself, that Brienne will survive at least into the next few chapters. (Of whatever book comes after A Dance with Dragons.)

Being hanged the way she was isn't anything like an instant death---and she's strong, much stronger than average.

Back in the 18th century, before the "long drop" came in, it was far from unheard-of for people to survive hanging, particularly if they were cut down very quickly. There were cases of people who were already hanged when the pardon or reprieve came who were cut down and lived, and at least one woman, in Scotland, survived a full half-hour and appeared dead at first when taken down, but started kicking at the inside of her coffin and yelling to be let out as her family were taking her home. For the record, she lived a number of years after her hanging, and since under Scots law her sentence was completed when she was cut down, the authorities didn't touch her.

I don't know what the record is on this sort of thing (and, for once, Shub-Internet, Giver of Knowledge, has failed me badly) but if Brienne's one word was enough to get the bandits to cut her down fast, I'd say she'll survive.

Now, what could that one word be? I'd say it's likely to be "Sansa" or "Arya."

Is Brienne's identity a state secret?

I guess we're going to have to kill you then...

People have gotten really pissy in these rooms when it comes to spoilers and I thought that maybe I might have spoiled something for another person. My opinion? if people are worried about something being spoiled then don't read the posts in this room.

If I have earned death, so be it.

I'm pretty sure, myself, that Brienne will survive at least into the next few chapters. (Of whatever book comes after A Dance with Dragons.)

Being hanged the way she was isn't anything like an instant death---and she's strong, much stronger than average.

Back in the 18th century, before the "long drop" came in, it was far from unheard-of for people to survive hanging, particularly if they were cut down very quickly. There were cases of people who were already hanged when the pardon or reprieve came who were cut down and lived, and at least one woman, in Scotland, survived a full half-hour and appeared dead at first when taken down, but started kicking at the inside of her coffin and yelling to be let out as her family were taking her home. For the record, she lived a number of years after her hanging, and since under Scots law her sentence was completed when she was cut down, the authorities didn't touch her.

I don't know what the record is on this sort of thing (and, for once, Shub-Internet, Giver of Knowledge, has failed me badly) but if Brienne's one word was enough to get the bandits to cut her down fast, I'd say she'll survive.

Now, what could that one word be? I'd say it's likely to be "Sansa" or "Arya."

That's what I am thinking too. It has to be. I've heard all other thoughts but I think that I am stuck on either of these 2. I'm thinking that it's Sansa because I feel that by now un-Cat knows that Arya is alive since Arya was once a captive in this very band and Harwin exposed her identity. Harwin, Lem, Anguy and Lem were there as well as they are now with Brienne.

The most obvious option is sword-probably the only word able to save her and if I remember it right it is implied that she makes a dessison and then screams the word, so I'll stay with sword. What I wanted to ask was why do you think that the word ice might save her. If Cat knew it was ice and that Brienne was parading around with her late husbands sword melted down tranformed and given a name by a Lannister she would kill her so much sooner. And Stannis is an interesting option but since Cat is not around it would gain her nothing.

The most obvious option is sword-probably the only word able to save her and if I remember it right it is implied that she makes a dessison and then screams the word, so I'll stay with sword. What I wanted to ask was why do you think that the word ice might save her. If Cat knew it was ice and that Brienne was parading around with her late husbands sword melted down tranformed and given a name by a Lannister she would kill her so much sooner. And Stannis is an interesting option but since Cat is not around it would gain her nothing.

I don't see what "Stannis" gains her in terms of saving her life. I also don't get that word being "sword' either. I have seen "sword" put forth in other posts from other people and "Sword" is too general of a word for her to yell in this situation. It must be something of meaning to un-Cat.

I don't see what "Stannis" gains her in terms of saving her life. I also don't get that word being "sword' either. I have seen "sword" put forth in other posts from other people and "Sword" is too general of a word for her to yell in this situation. It must be something of meaning to un-Cat.

Lady Catelyn’s fingers dug deep into her throat, and the words came rattling out, choked and broken, a stream as cold as ice. The northman said, “She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.â€

Sword is the word with wich she accepts Cats offer to let her live in exchange for Jaime's life.

Why Stannis? Somebody explained it already- to summon it up- when Cat accepted Brienne into her service she promised her that she won't hold her back when the time comes for her to kill Stannis- to avenge Renly. if there is still enough of Catelyn in Stoneheart maybe she would feel obligated to give Brienne a chance to kill Stannis.

There must be an obvious reason for nobody saying this yet, but could she have hollered "Sapphires!!" It saved her before...

I reread this chapter and here is the reason why saphires is not the word.

“Podrick has never harmed you. My father will ransom him. Tarth is called the sapphire isle. Send Podrick with my bones to Evenfall, and you’ll have sapphires, silver, whatever you want.â€

“I want my wife and daughter back,†said the Hound. “Can your father give me that? If not, he can get buggered. The boy will rot beside you. Wolves will gnaw your bones.â€

If sapphires couldn't save Podrick they sure can't save her.

Lady Catelyn’s fingers dug deep into her throat, and the words came rattling out, choked and broken, a stream as cold as ice. The northman said, “She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.â€

Sword is the word with wich she accepts Cats offer to let her live in exchange for Jaime's life.

Why Stannis? Somebody explained it already- to summon it up- when Cat accepted Brienne into her service she promised her that she won't hold her back when the time comes for her to kill Stannis- to avenge Renly. if there is still enough of Catelyn in Stoneheart maybe she would feel obligated to give Brienne a chance to kill Stannis.

“Podrick has never harmed you. My father will ransom him. Tarth is called the sapphire isle. Send Podrick with my bones to Evenfall, and you’ll have sapphires, silver, whatever you want.â€

“I want my wife and daughter back,†said the Hound. “Can your father give me that? If not, he can get buggered. The boy will rot beside you. Wolves will gnaw your bones.â€

I agree with the Sapphire remark.

Brienne is too loyal and proud to go back on her original stance that she won't kill Jaime. I don't buy it. It must be something else. What you say about "sword" seems to be the logical thought. Kill or be killed. I just think that there's something else that GRRM has in store for Brienne. I don't believe that killing Jaime is in the game plan for Brienne.

As for Stannis...Cat doesn't believe that she's obligated to do anything. Plus, the time HASN'T come for her to kill Stannis. Stannis isn't anywhere around that area. He's at the Wall. It can't be Stannis. Maybe she said, "Cersei," or "Walder" or "Bolton." Maybe that would interest Cat but I doubt it.

I still think that she said, "Sansa" or "Arya."

"FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!..........."

Nice. Braveheart.

Archived