Its Jaime, not Jamie

moondoggie

My mother-language is a Neo-Latin tongue, so the first time I spoke with my friends about Jaime, I called him "HIGH-meh!!!", with a bit of Spanish panache. I thought it fit the character.

My friends: "Who?"

"Er... the hot incestuous Lannister twin?"

"Oh, you mean JAY-me."

I think all of my friends calls him that, which is curious, because they went for the English pronounciation of a name that should have been more familiar to them in its Spanish form. I do understand, because after all JAIME and JAMIE are both versions of JAMES. And I seem to remember that GRRM calls him JAY-me.

It is a common trick with GRRM: taking a "normal" name and giving it an exotic twist with a different spelling or pronounciation, such as Edward-Eddard, Peter-Petyr, Jane-Jeyne, Brendan-Brynden. The problem with our hot incestuous Lannister twin is that the JAIME form exists in reality and is characteristic of a certain area of languages, and thus tends to confuse readers from that area.

The revelation changed my perception of the character a bit. From a haughty, Spanish-sounding nobleman, he started reminding me of some nice Scottish laddie. (No, I've never read Diana Gabaldon.) It took several chapters to readjust my view of Jaime.

As for spelling it, I apologize, I do get it wrong a lot of times. It's just that, once I convinced my brain to pronounce it JAY-me, my fingers tend to remain behind when I type, and so I fall back on the English spelling.

I see this mistake made in 75% of the posts he occupies. Jaime - read "JAYM" not Jamie, which is read "JAY ME".

Get it right or pay the price.

It is read JAYM, but it is pronounced JAY-ME, which adds to the confusion.

I wouldn't describe "Jaime" or "Jamie" as androgynous names, but you'll have to go to Ormond for the final judgement on that one. He's the board's resident names expert. :)

Guest Other-in-Law

I know the rules and I am pretty sure I have it right.

Nope

Read it as an introduction, like on a game show : 'Its Jay Leno'! not 'It is Jay Leno!' or 'It's Jay Leno' which suggest Jay Leno belongs to something called It.

Nope.

I pronounced it in Spanish my first read-through, since "Jaime" does not, to my knowledge, exist in English. (And hey, GRRM lives in the Southwest, he must realize how it's pronounced, right?) Gradually I came to suspect that, as the series is written in English and most English-speakers don't know how to pronounce Spanish names, that's probably not what GRRM intended, and after all the name "Jayme" (pronounced like Jamie, not Jame, I think) does exist in English and GRRM was probably just fooling with that.

As a sidenote, I find it funny that Tywin Lannister gave his little golden boy such an effeminate name, and his hated dwarf son such a kingly one. If it doesn't embarrass you too much, try saying "Tyrion Lannister" in a booming voice. Awesome. Now try the same with "JAY-me Lannister." Doesn't work.

But while we're on the topic, it's Cersei, not Cercei.

I wouldn't describe "Jaime" or "Jamie" as androgynous names, but you'll have to go to Ormond for the final judgement on that one. He's the board's resident names expert. :)

You wouldn't describe Jay-me as being androgynous? It's a name used for both boys and girls. That's what androgynous means. Now Jame is not. That's a male name, although I know girls named Jay-me that go by that as a nickname.

You wouldn't describe Jay-me as being androgynous? It's a name used for both boys and girls. That's what androgynous means. Now Jame is not. That's a male name, although I know girls named Jay-me that go by that as a nickname.

No, I consider Jamie traditionally to be a boy's name - derived from James, obviously - but we've discussed in the names thread v.2 over in GC the way a name can drift from being purely a boy's name to be used for girls as well. The two women named "Jamie" that I can think of offhand are actually both "Jamie-Lynn" (Spears and Sigler), where the "Lynn" clarifies the gender nicely.

/tangent

Archived