Its Jaime, not Jamie

moondoggie

I see this mistake made in 75% of the posts he occupies. Jaime - read "JAYM" not Jamie, which is read "JAY ME".

Get it right or pay the price.

What price? How much is it per mispronunciation? Can we work out a payment plan? Do you take checks? Are you sure you're right? How?

I know the rules and I am pretty sure I have it right.

Read it as an introduction, like on a game show : 'Its Jay Leno'! not 'It is Jay Leno!' or 'It's Jay Leno' which suggest Jay Leno belongs to something called It.

As mentioned you are very wrong about this one, which would suggest that you do not in fact know the rules.

The point of the thread was not to pick apart my apparent misuse of the apostrophe. A thousand apologies. Grammar -5. I visit this board when I've had drinks. There is an appropriate apostrophe for you, btw.

The main point was that many people on this board TYPE it wrong. They mispell is based on....pronunciation?

As a side note - someone mentioned Jamie-Lynn. I actually have a friend (male) named Lyn, and he tells me that the single N vs. the double N denotes which gender you are talking about. GRRM has Lyn Corbray which kind of solidifies the theory. However, it is said the same way and people make a 50/50 assumption. My own name is the same way, Stephen. Most try to spell is as Steven. However both are male and I go by Steve so most of the confusion goes out the window.

There hasn't been a nitpicky grammar thread in General Chatter in a while... usually the grammarians let off steam there. :) It's always advisable, however, to check your post for glass houses before throwing grammatical stones, because if there's an error, someone will catch it. It may seem heartless but it lifts the overall posting level of the board no end.

The main point was that many people on this board TYPE it wrong. They mispell is based on....pronunciation?

NOT speaking as a mod but as a copy editor, there've been times when I've wanted to go through posts with a metaphorical blue pencil. For me, life is too short to worry about a transposed i as long as the context is clearly written and understandable.

eta: personally, I'd assume that a male with a name like "Lyn" is actually a "Lyndon". Another for Ormond to ponder...

As has been mentioned before, according to GRRM there are no "correct" pronunciations, but of course, I still choose to know how he himself pronounces a name and tend to stick with it (except for BREE-uh-knee, of course).

That said... Since Jaime (as spelled) is actually a common name worldwide, you could say that there exist acceptable pronunciations for it, which include both "JAY-mee" and "HIGH-mee" (or "HIGH-meh"). But never have I heard that spelling being pronounced as "JAYM". But that's anecdotal, of course.

I admit I often misprint Jaime. Other names are also difficult to me. It is still my small bad – taking into account my frequent syntax and grammar errors. Yet the board is generally quite tolerant to my frailties.

As regard pronunciation – for me He would always remain ['dʒaim] (more or less like giant) after my first reading. It was a translation and in my language reading rules do not allow free interpretations. And actually I like it. - exotic, strange and unique.

Spanish as native language totally spoiled the name for me. First time I read it, it was a wtf moment, because "Jaime" actually exists, and is a quite common name in Spain. It's like having a submarine called Lindsay Lohan in the search for the Red October; first time you read it you think... uh??. For me it remains /'xaj me / no matter how hard I try to "translate" the name to english.

Fortunately it doesn't matter for writing, so english readers don't have to suffer my awful pronuntiation.

I gave Jaime's name the Spanish pronunciation on my first readthrough too. After listening to the audiobook chapters, my brain shifted to the English. It was a little hard to believe in a medieval knight in a country based on medieval England with the Spanish name Jaime anyway so the English seems to "fit" his character better.

• 1 month later...

I always figured it was pronounced like Jay - me... *shrug* I googled it and it came up as a pet- name for James, or a name of Spanish origin, pronounced as "xaime"... I think its quite interesting that he bears this sweet sort of pet- name, that would almost make him seem like a good little effeminate boy, when he's actually the complete opposite. I find myself really liking his name as it is. I'm trying to think of other characters where this is the case, but none come to mind...

For some reason I've always read Targaryen as Tarygaren, I can't change it now, as the sound would ring wrong in my head... though I have no issues spelling it right. Go figure.

While you on it, it's also 'Joffrey', not 'Joffery' and 'Daenerys' not 'Danaerys'.

This. I don't know how many Joffery's I've read about on this board and I grit my teeth every time I see it. That misspelling irritates me way more than Jaime/Jamie because it's impossible to ignore. Joff-ery as opposed to Joff-ray, that's two entirely different names and I'm quite amazed as to how people can even make this mistake in the first place.

As a side note - someone mentioned Jamie-Lynn. I actually have a friend (male) named Lyn, and he tells me that the single N vs. the double N denotes which gender you are talking about. GRRM has Lyn Corbray which kind of solidifies the theory.

Well, my Dad and Grandpa's names are Lynn, with two N's. I know a few female Lynns as well, but I don't know any "Lyn", male or female in the real world. I do know of a female Lyn from fiction.

Anyhoo..

I also know a female IRL who spells her name Jaime, like our dear Lannister (she pronounces it the same as the more typical spellings: "Jay-me").

Agreed with the OP that spelling his name JAMIE is totally wrong! C'mon people!

You... uh... misspelled Daenerys. :D

Well, my Dad and Grandpa's names are Lynn, with two N's. I know a few female Lynns as well, but I don't know any "Lyn", male or female in the real world. I do know of a female Lyn from fiction.

EDIT: Most of the names in this series look like they're taken off from other names ("Robb" from "Rob", "Eddard" from "Edward", "Daenerys" from "Alphonse", etc.) in real life.

I've always pronounced it "JAY-ME" and would find it really weird if I found out it wasn't. I switched my pronounciation of Sansa when I found out I was saying it wrong, and did the same for Dany, but I don't think I can take "Jame" or "High-Me" at this point.

For what it's worth I know a few people named Jaime (with that spelling), and they pronounce it as "Jay-Me".

Guest Other-in-Law

For what it's worth I know a few people named Jaime (with that spelling), and they pronounce it as "Jay-Me".

My sister named her Irish wolfhound Jaime and pronounces it "Jay-Me", too. I think it's a coincidence; I've never heard her mention the series. Also, the wolfhound is female and very skittish.

Archived