US Politics 3

TrackerNeil

Hitler wasn't a Christian.

Well he said he was.

You can question his honesty and sanity, but it's hard to find better sources than what the guy actually said.

"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

Hitler wasn't a Christian. Nazis were into old German paganism, actually.

Hitler was actually Catholic and went to seminary to be a priest. So did Stalin, although I think he was Eastern Orthodox. Hitler publicly professed a belief in Christ (which qualifies him as Christian whether he ever went to church or not). The problem was that he used that belief in an Aryan Christ as the basis for his anti-Semitism.

Not all Nazis were into the "paganism" of Himmler, who was convinced that Germany's future could be predicted by astrology. Then again, he was also convinced that he was Woden/Odin incarnate. He thought of the SS as a modern Teutonic Knights and what's probably coincidental, Hitler died on April 30, 1945, which was a Teutonic feast day known as Walpurgis Night.

As far as anyone can prove, Hitler wasn't part of that even though he did dedicate Mein Kampf to Dietrich Eckhart.

600 years ago was 1400. Islam was already strongly inolerant back then. I think you mean 1000 years ago and even then, there certainly wasn't freedom of religion or speech. The punishment for apostasy in Islam was always death for example and other faiths suffered significant discrimination. Surely Silam during the Caliphate was more tolerant than Cristianity, but it certainly wasn't tolerant religion when compared to post enlightement Christianity, Buddhism or old polytheistic religions.

Well, Christians don't burn people at the stake any more. They have quieter ways of ostracizing people nowadays.

Nymeria,

Huh? What "quieter ways of ostracizing" are in any way comperable burning people alive?

They're not all sweetness and light, I can assure you. Like I said upthread, I've been on the receiving end of it. I've been called a godless heathen, an atheist, a heretic, and worse. I've been told that my soul is damned and that I was going to Hell. Basically, they make it impossible for someone who doesn't believe lockstep what they do to fit into their congregations. You can't ever be part of that community unless you parrot exactly what they want you to believe, but I'm not about to give up my ability to think for them. It's part of who I am and if they can't accept that, it's not my problem.

Burning at the stake would be kinder than their deliberate attempts to humiliate people and guilt trip them to death. I think Christ would be mighty upset if he could see what they've done to his teachings.

Nymeria,

Respectfully, people behaving like assholes just doesn't rise to the level of being burned alive.

Respectfully, I disagree. :) They're bullies, plain and simple.

But let's leave it at that. We're never going to agree on this and there's no point in derailing the thread any more than it already has been.

Don't give them that kind of power over you. I agree Christ is probably quite embarrassed by many of his "followers".

That's why I don't go to church any more.

Archived