Football XXI

Iskaral Pust

But come on, losing Milner and Young wouldn't be the end of the day. McGeady and Ireland could've been acquired as replacements for relatively little. Robbie Keane is going cheap, as well. He would've been a nice addition to the Villa frontline. You know...smart deals. How great of a control did Lerner want of the money coming in, though? Total valuation? Up until now, I've never considered him a negative influence on the club, but perhaps he's just like his fellow American businessmen? :worried:

Well, Milner and Young are their two best players. They'll have huge gaps in the side without them. It'll be another year or two before Albrighton can be a regular and Downing isn't as good as either of them on the left wing...they might get Ireland and start building again, but losing your 2 best players can never help.

Spurs are just being greedy, they already have Kranjcar/Modric/Bentley/Lennon/O'Hara/Bale in the wide positions, especially since he likes 2 defensive players in the middle. Young will add cover but won't be a guaranteed starter...I know they need a strong squad as they are aiming to do well in the CL and league, but surely someone is going to be unhappy.

If O'neill wasn't going to get the money from the transfers to plow back into the squad, then I think he was justified in leaving. Otherwise, I think he's overreacting. I think the Milner deal was going to be great for Villa if they could use the money on transfers. They already benefited immensely from City's profligacy last season, picking up Richard Dunne for a song. I had thought their defense was toast after losing Martin Laursen.

Wow, shocker. I wonder if there's something else going on here other than just financial dismay. Didn't see this one coming. Who are Aston Villa gonna find as a replacement, and where will O'Neill go?

I wasn't expecting O'Neill to leave Aston Villa, especially just days before the start of the new season. However, with the lack of backing he's recieved from Randy Lerner it was probably on the cards. This could well be a horrendously difficult season for Villa now. They won't get near the top four and may even struggle to qualify for Europe especially since teams like Everton and Birmingham have strengthened their squads.

how do you just man up and keep moving on in the current financial climate of football? knowing that there are clubs out there you just cannot compete with financially and then eventually on the pitch, how does one just soldier on as they watch the best players around the leagues get scooped up by the clubs with the near godlike capital?

The same way smaller clubs have done for generations. At the very least I would expect someone to honor prior agreements. Reneging on your contract less than a week before the start of the new season is not a very classy move.

Of course it is entirely possible that he was promised something (money to bring in new players, keeping key players at the club etc.) that the club didn't deliver on.

The same way smaller clubs have done for generations. At the very least I would expect someone to honor prior agreements. Reneging on your contract less than a week before the start of the new season is not a very classy move.

Of course it is entirely possible that he was promised something (money to bring in new players, keeping key players at the club etc.) that the club didn't deliver on.

i do not at all support his decision to abandon ship. not at all. my question was more regarding the way football has become. he has reason to be upset, but leaving his team so close to the start of the season is awful. my concern is more for the footballing world as a whole. to know your side can be picked clean of it's finest players because eventually teams will offer a sum in which you simply cannot turn down on a business standpoint is capitalist savagery.

Lots of rumours about replacements....Curbishley, Jol, Ramos, Warnock, Houllier, Hoddle, Sven all mentioned.

If it's true that the resignation was about players being sold behind the back of the manager, then I can't see it being Curbishley, since he left West Ham for that exact reason. He'd be good for them though, on such short notice probably the best of the lot for the new season.

Lots of rumours about replacements....Curbishley, Jol, Ramos, Warnock, Houllier, Hoddle, Sven all mentioned.

In other words, no-one has a clue. But as a pundit, you can never admit that you haven't a clue, so you just say anything that sounds vaguely credible.

Which equally, at this point, applies to talk about why O'Neill left. There are a lot of people out there who have no information but need to say something anyway, so they're speculating. Whether it's accurate or not remains to be seen: it might be. But at this point, it is just speculation, so far as I can see.

i do not at all support his decision to abandon ship. not at all. my question was more regarding the way football has become.

Hardly news...Football clubs have been doing it for a long time. Survival of the fittest and all that. It can even harm the strong clubs, as is the case here. I think O'Neill's ambition and pride was slighted by this recent activity. He, no doubt, fancies a strong challenge in the EPL and this is doing nothing but harming his chances. If he wants success, perhaps he should've taken on the Liverpool gamble. I doubt Fergie is leaving any time soon, and while Wenger finds himself under pressure, he has his job at Arsenal for life, practically. I'd like to see him have a chance at a CL club and attempt to replicate Clough's success. The only position he could perhaps challenge for would be the Chelsea one, but he may need to wait a season or two for that. Maybe abroad, then?

Yeah, no one has a clue at this stage, it's early to say.

Realistically, I think Jol might get it. He has the experience, he's been linked away from Ajax already. I don't think Curbishley would want it for reasons stated already, I can't see Neil Warnock getting it and Hoddle and Houllier have been out of the English game for quite a while, and Juande Ramos' time at Spurs wasn't that successful. As for Sven...it's always possible.

Jol or Houllier would be decent with their past experience in the league. Personally, I'd go with a coach with deeper connections to the English game. It's a real struggle to imagine who exactly would be suited for the job there. How about Roy Keane? Otherwise, you'd need to go with someone who has not been involved in the game for a long duration of time, like Hoddle.

Impossible.

Keane left Sunderland after a conflict with the new owner that came into the club. Something that has put many other good managers out of favour. It's a hard situation, and I would not say he 'spat his dummy' out. He's an opinionated guy. I've never taken what he has had to say as acts of immaturity.

Roy Keane had a tough season at Ipswitch last season to boot.

I wonder if Mark Hughes is kicking himself now. Villa is arguably a bigger job. But, whatever caused O'Neill to quit, might have given him pause as well.

Perhaps Alex McLeish could be lured away from Birmingham. I wonder how much Birmingham have for him to spend. They supposedly had a big transfer budget last season, but that didn't seem to materialize. If Villa could offer him the current squad plus the Miler/Young money, it could be a good opportunity to shape a strong squad.

I've never taken what he has had to say as acts of immaturity.

I have, frequently. The situation got moderately difficult so he gave up, not the first time either. That's not the attitude I'd particularly want in a manager. He's not shown himself to be particularly reliable and he's not shown that he's a good enough manager for clubs with options to put up with that.

Archived