ASOIAF Weight Loss Challenge

Seventh Pup

Hmm, I don't think that's all that drastic. I personally don't care for most dressings so I don't eat them. A little bit of Italian or vinaigrette is all that I can stand on occasion. Plus, what's the point of eating salad if the dressings contain tons of fat and calories?

A salad dressing of lemon with a little oil and lots of herbs (plus I like garlic salt in mine - not too much) seems to give a really intense flavor. It's so flavorful you get a really fulfilling experience from not a lot of calories. Fresh garden tomatoes and corn are wonderful this time of year too. Yum!

I think I need a quitting smoking thread, though. I started back up about a year or so ago. Yeah, I know. Pretty stupid after years and years of not smoking. Maybe I'll drop in on this thread and borrow the encouraging words and apply them to my situation.

ETA: Ha! I just noticed my avatar and title. Doh!

I would love to join. I'm already working a weight watcher's program now and have lost a little. I would like to lose 20lb more in the next three months. This kind of challenge may just be the deciding factor on if I can stay on track or not.

I'm still mulling over what I have to post in regard to specific goals, so let me chew on that another day or two. (No pun intended).

Due to some nasty health issues, I was on prednisone for a while and that only made matters worse. Thankfully, I'm off the meds (for now) and have lost some water weight, but would like to lose all that I gained.

For me, it's a full-blown addiction. I've struggled with weight most of my life, but have (over the past few years) learned to maintain a healthy weight through exercise and diet. The mental aspect still haunts me. I feel like I face my demons every day when I look down at a plate of food and only eat a "normal portion" instead of three helpings. I have a ways to go on the mental aspect and the "addiction" side of it, but I'm always making progress.

At any rate, if you need another, I would like the support . . . especially now.

"To conquer others is to know power; to conquer yourself is to know the way."

You know what, I could stand to lose five kilos or so. I'm not sure what that is in American measurements - probably something like twelve bowlengths and three quarters of a gallon or something weird like that.

So my new plan is this;

- Running for half an hour every day. No skipping days because I'm hungover, or it's raining.

- Alternating between cycling for half an hour, and doing push-ups and sit-ups every day.

- No booze at all during the week.

- No sex. Not because it will help at all, but because having this as a rule will make me feel better about not having sex.

- Healthy eating. Specifically; being more strict with portion sizes, eating more fruit and veg, and restricting myself to one treat a week. And the treat has to be reasonable, not something so shitty it'll undo all the week's work.

I'll start today *eyes icecream* tomorrow.

Guest Raidne

Yes, sometimes they do. As in, I turn around and my husband has poured a beer into a frosty mug for me. I guess what I mean, is...... no beer.

I'd lose on that one, I think. Although, husband has decided to foreswear beer at home in an effort to lose what can only be described as a bit of a beer belly, so that'll help me. It's easy for me to not drink beer at the bar.

Fez, if you'd like an equally or even more out of shape workout buddy, I'm pretty sure you could snag my husband on his way back from work on a regular basis. He's been trying to get himself to commit to some kind of regimen for awhile now. He pretty much has the same hangups about not wanting to look like a douchebag since it's been, oh, I think exactly 10 years since he regularly went to a gym.

I'm going to abstain from workplace Friday sweet treats.

Starting next week...

Seriously;

* I'm going to keep healthy snacks with me at work, and possibly have a slightly larger lunch. At the moment I usually have a small lunch, and I'll go home at 6pm really hungry and hit the chocolate or the ice cream to tide me over till it's an acceptable time to eat supper. When I have a slightly larger lunch or have some fruit at 4pmish I eat much more healthily in the evenings.

* This will also help me, psychologically, avoid cooking a large portion of evening meal. If I cook a large evening meal, nine times out of ten I'll eat it all, even after I've stopped being hungry. I don't need that big an evening meal, so there's no reason I should cook it - except that if I cook while I'm hungry, I cook more, to the extent of cooking more than I'll want to eat.

* I'm going to be even more careful of my right leg so that I can exercise more. It was really hurting yesterday after Wednesday's gym session. It's not so bad today; definitely weaker than the left, something I can tell even when sitting down, but not actually hurting. I'm going to go to the gym tonight and do everything I can not to aggravate it. (Used to have a very wonky right knee, which led me to use cross-trainers/ellipticals instead of treadmills. The way I am now, the leg will cope with treadmills far better than with a cross-trainer. Cottoning on to this rather late may have led to me prolonging my problem...)

To those people who really don't have time to cook every day: large cooking pots, stews/pasta sauces/stir-fries and small freezer-safe and microwave-safe plastic pots are your friends. Make lots of something really healthy and freeze it in portion-sized boxes to pull out next time you don't have time to cook, rather than resorting to something less healthy when you're strapped for time.

I'd lose on that one, I think. Although, husband has decided to foreswear beer at home in an effort to lose what can only be described as a bit of a beer belly, so that'll help me. It's easy for me to not drink beer at the bar.

Fez, if you'd like an equally or even more out of shape workout buddy, I'm pretty sure you could snag my husband on his way back from work on a regular basis. He's been trying to get himself to commit to some kind of regimen for awhile now. He pretty much has the same hangups about not wanting to look like a douchebag since it's been, oh, I think exactly 10 years since he regularly went to a gym.

Possibly, possibly. Thanks to my schedule though Gym visits are going to be Saturday mornings, after the hangover clears up. And maybe Wed. night too if I can find the time. I'm hoping the fitness center in my apt. is good enough for my needs though, that way I can avoid paying for gym membership (plus the ease-of-access can't be beat).

I managed 20 push-ups last night (okay 4 sets of 5) over a few minutes; gonna try to hit 3 sets of 7 tonight. In a good news/bad news sort of thing, my arms are ever so slightly tingly this morning; which is good in a "hurrah, making a difference" way, but bad in a "that's all it took?" way as well.

For this week, I'll start making sure I take at least five servings of fruits and vegetables to work with me, to be eaten before I touch the snack bowl. I won't have much room left for chocolate that way. On weekends, I'll make certain I eat the same before any junk food, but home usually isn't a problem. All bets are off during the three days of the actual move though--two people, two cats, one moving van, 1200 miles. I'll just be happy if we all make it there alive.

This sounds like an awesome goal. Plus you are getting something delcious that is good for you. Let us know how it goes.

Moving is of the devil, it is known. Let us know how that goes too!

To those people who really don't have time to cook every day: large cooking pots, stews/pasta sauces/stir-fries and small freezer-safe and microwave-safe plastic pots are your friends. Make lots of something really healthy and freeze it in portion-sized boxes to pull out next time you don't have time to cook, rather than resorting to something less healthy when you're strapped for time.

This is what I do. Every Sunday night I cook a giant batch of stew or soup or sauce or lasagna or chicken breasts or pork chops or slab of red meat, etc. then freeze in individual portions for upcoming weeks. I also try to prepare fresh veggies for the upcoming week so I just have those ready to eat when I get home at night.

Okay today's first challenge...every Friday morning when I get into the office there is a chocolate doughnut sitting on my desk. Do I want this now? Or would I rather have gelato later? (I've decided to limit myself to one treat a day for now)

Nice Fez, what kind of equipment does your fitness center have?

Don't know, guess I'll see tomorrow. It is right next to the pool though, and I know showers are around there somewhere, so I can start doing laps again too. Rather excited right now, hopefully that lasts after the fall semester starts and I jump from 3 credit hours to 10 in school.

Count me in.

I've gotten way out of shape over the last few years and I've stopped and started at least 10 different diet and exercise plans after a few weeks, a month tops. I need a reason to stick to it.

So add me to the list. Not only do I intend to eat better, I'm also going to use this as an experiment to see if I can eliminate soda from my diet as well. And maybe coffee. I don't know about coffee, though. Quitting crack might be easier.

OK.

I managed to do three reps of all 8 flights yesterday after I signed off - spent at least 10mins gasping and thinking I was going to die - and then managed to drive home and bake cookies.

I've started taking a weight log on my phone, so I can see what progress there is.

My calves are still cramping, but I'm determined to keep going.

I plan to add a rep each week to push myself farther - eventually getting to the point where I can jog all the way up and down without my legs feeling like jello.

I'll break out the wii this weekend and start doing the Fit as well as some of the games - that way I can spread the misery to my upper parts and not just my legs.

OK.

I managed to do three reps of all 8 flights yesterday after I signed off - spent at least 10mins gasping and thinking I was going to die - and then managed to drive home and bake cookies.

I've started taking a weight log on my phone, so I can see what progress there is.

My calves are still cramping, but I'm determined to keep going.

I plan to add a rep each week to push myself farther - eventually getting to the point where I can jog all the way up and down without my legs feeling like jello.

I'll break out the wii this weekend and start doing the Fit as well as some of the games - that way I can spread the misery to my upper parts and not just my legs.

I've been considering the Wii fit. Let me know how that goes. :)

I know Seventh wasn't going to post a pic until Monday, but I've actually been dedicated since this last Monday. And it is because of thispicture. I actually don't mind it from the bust up, but my thighs. My god, my thighs!

I ate well yesterday and then spent 40 mins on the treadmill. Also no booze or icecream. But, tonight will be hard, I have cooking club and then tomorrow I'm going out to a bar for my brother's birthday.

Oh I'm in too. I have no excuse. Mrs. Jax is working on losing wieght to get ready for our Cancun trip in December and I need to too. Never mind one of my younger brothers was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and as a result had to suddenly and drastically change a lot of his habits and he always had at least 5-10 pounds on me, though he's now at least 15 less than I am. So I'm going for 15-20 in the time frame.

I already cut out all but the very occasional pop and at than only when we're out and I try to do unsweetened tea for that already. I drink at least 1 litre of seltzer water a day instead (plain water is too boring). This means I will get the bike down and get on it again at least three or four days a week and more walks with Little Jax. We're working on portion control of our meals already and though I loathe it, we've got more rice in the diet than potatoes now too...small small steps, but doable...

Okay so am starting to compile a list of everyone’s tweak of the week. I hope to make 12 of these posts, it should be awesome at the end of the challenge to see what tweaks were the easiest, and which where the most successful. You can do things other then your tweak to loose weight, but your tweak is something that you are DEFINITELY going to do for the whole length of the challenge which starts officially on Monday the 9th of August and goes through until November 9th. On Monday I’m going to finalize this post and put it at the beginning of the thread. If you want to tweak your tweak just let me know; please have a tweak by Monday so we can start this sucker off right. :)

My first tweak is that I am not going to bring money to work. I spend it on unhealthy food, when I’ve brought perfectly good food. I feel like this will cut down on my bad snacking a lot. I feel like I can commit to this for three months.

Raidne’s first tweak is to replace her morning bagel with a morning yogurt. She is also looking into her beer consumption and is thinking about lessening it but that will probably be a future tweak.

Nicole’s first tweak looks at Raidne’s first tweak and says “is that all you got”. Nicole is lessening her beer composition down to zero for the next 12 weeks. She is truly an inspiration.

Tobin has made the commitment to take the 8 flights of stairs at her work every day. The force is strong with her and so I’m sure she will succeed.

Smegma looks at us pansies who are committing to one thing and raises the bar by committing to two. This week she’s has decided to replace one meal a day with a salad, and give up soda except for once a week with pizza, because pizza and soda are an amazing combination.

Datepalm going to start the challenge in the most civilized of ways and promises to eat breakfast for the next three months. has desided that she doesn't want to be defined by the social norms of eating breakfast. But instead will run down her food every other day, and do this while cutting back on the snacks. (She might not have said she's running down her food, but I defiantly remember she said she would be running every other day. )

Lady Narcissa is going to muster the self control of a shaolin monk and walk by the bowl of free candy at her work for three months with out taking any. She's also going to be a role model for Lindsay Lohan and give up Coke.

Kalbear has boldly proclaimed that he is going to give up dessert, and following Smegma’s lead will replace lunch with a salad.

Erik Hazelfield has said that he can reduce the portions of his meals. Let’s see if Erik Hazelfield can be true to his word.

Quiet Colors is going to replace food with cuteness and simply stare at her avatar for the next three months… Or she is going to commit to eating five servings of fruit before let herself snack on junk. I forget which one it is.

Ztemhead is going to also work strongly on reducing the portions of his meals. He is going to remember that there are to go bags so that if he’s spending $40 on dinner it doesn’t mean he has to eat ALL of it right then. He is also going to eat more slowly and drink more water while he eats for the next three months.

JungianQueen has decided that instead of seeking power she is going to seek knowledge of the way. To do this for the next three months she is going to do weight training at least 3 times a week. Not grab fast food on the way home school or work, and not eat after 8pm.

Brady is an inspiration to us all and is giving up sex… But also not drinking during the week, doing 30 minutes of running a day, and doing 30 minutes of either cycling or push up and sit up a day for the next twelve weeks. By doing this he hopes to loose three kangaroos or something; the Australian units of measurement are beyond wacky.

Eloisa has woven some nice first tweaks for herself. She is going to keep healthy snacks with her at work, and eat a larger lunch and some fruit later in the afternoon. This will help her cut back on the supers that are perhaps just a wee bit to big and the help silence the sirens of chocolate that call to her as a snack. She’s also going to be careful not to hurt her right leg so that she can more consistently exercise.

FezRock is going to rock the gym out at least once a week. So he is defiantly going to go to the gym at least 12 times before this challenge has ended.

Blaine23 is going to start by eliminating soda. Next tweak may be coffee if he can feel he can commit to that for 3 months. But soda is a great start.

Jaxom is going bike at least three times a weeks, and be a better father.

Angalin first tweak is sleep. She will be in bed by midnight thirty. She's also dreaming of rain because she is going to be drinking at least 4 tall glasses of water a day.

Phoenix's is going to show her injuries who's boss by excerises inspite of them, but on a stationary bike (I bet you didn't see that one coming Bad Knee.). She is going to do this at least three times a week. She is also going to just say no to chocolate chip cookies.

If I missed someone let me know!

Archived