U.S. Politics, 4

TerraPrime

So while discuouraging excessive CEO pay does not directly affect jobs, it will hopefully get businesses to start spending money on actually producing things, and starting new projects. Crazy, I know.

So the plan is, tax the personal income of the CEO and hope that makes him direct the business to hire more people?

Every other thing you mentioned will increase the price of consumer goods dramatically.

Well if companies started tying CEO pay to something other than stock price, like say size of the company's market share for instance, that would encourage expansion.

companies don't want to hire because they're hoping for massive republican victories in november. that's why corporate america has lagged on creating jobs.

I think there's an atmosphere among democrats that it wouldn't be too disasterous if republicans gained a majority but it would be. within months you'd see an attempt to impeach Obama and literally nothign would get done. the obstructionism you see know would only solidify. This republican party is not the republican party of 1994, they are not interested in working with Obama or democrat minorities in any way shape or form. Nothing at all will be accomplished, things won't get better than they are now, things will become dramatically worse.

I think there's an atmosphere among democrats that it wouldn't be too disasterous if republicans gained a majority but it would be. within months you'd see an attempt to impeach Obama and literally nothign would get done. the obstructionism you see know would only solidify. This republican party is not the republican party of 1994, they are not interested in working with Obama or democrat minorities in any way shape or form. Nothing at all will be accomplished, things won't get better than they are now, things will become dramatically worse.

It's this that makes me firmly believe that far too many Americans are outright stupid. The George W. Bush administration and Republican domination wasn't that long ago... have people really forgotten what happened to this country under Republican rule? Yes, the Democrats are not perfect but they've shown a willingness to actually get things done that are good for the country as well as the corporations that own them, whereas the Republicans were strictly out for benefiting their corporations first and themselves second. It just doesn't make any fucking sense at all that people would already be willing to put the same Republicans back in power.

companies don't want to hire because they're hoping for massive republican victories in november. that's why corporate america has lagged on creating jobs.

I'm hoping that there would be enough Republicans left in Congress to realize that they don't want to go down as the party of morons who impeached two popular Democratic presidents for nakedly political reasons.

Ever hear of the "Iron Ricebowl"?

Yes, but I am unsure of its relevance here. We used to have such a system in corporate America. We could possibly move into a very similar system if the private sector keeps fucking us. It used to be the public sector offered security, and the public sector offered cash. Not true anymore. Not by a long shot. So nice to see some competition in the labor market - even if it is between a monopoly and a collusive oligarchy.

Where are y'all getting this idea that a Republican majority congress would impeach Pres. Obama? What grounds would be offered for such an impeachment action?

Doesn't matter - something would be constructed. My bet is the whole birther thing, not directly though. Congress will investigate it, they appoint a special prosecutor, they look for anything they can find that is embarrassing or tawdry or off. They repeatedly subpoena the president and get several testimonies. They comb those for discrepancies. They find one, and viola - grounds for impeachment.

Maybe they are not crazy enough to even go there.

We're not going to see an increase(if any) in hiring until demand rises, and demand won't rise until consumers feel some sort of stability coming back into the system.

Nah. If we just punish the eeeeevvvviiiillll CEO's and raise taxes right now(F you Keynes!), all will be right with the world, everyone would get a free puppy, and as god is my witness, I would never go hungray AGAIN!!!!

KD,

Are you saying Blago's impeachment wasn't justified and that he's not corrupt? Further, are you saying the Obama administration is anything like the Blagoavich Administration in Illinois?

Blago is corrupt as fuck. It's glorious to see someone finally doing something about the fetid swamp of Chicago politics.

Obama isn't anywhere close to being corrupt as the Blago admin. But he was mucking around in the swamp of Chicago politics. If some special prosecutor can't find something there, they aren't trying hard enough.

Edit: Just to clarify, it would probably be a pretty weak set of trumped up charges in any event. Even if the GOP had enough for forcing Obama to resign, they wouldn't want him to. Better to have a lame duck in 2012.

D-

Please show your work.

You must be joking. Very well, if I must...

Stop outsourcing - an increase in labor costs will lead to increased consumer costs

stop paying CEOs such ridiculous amounts - define the upper limit of reasonable pay, and how you would put this into law, and how it would affect jobs.

untie CEO pay to stock performance - same question

Hell tax bonuses above x amount at a significantly higher rate - same question

stop Board and executive collusion - this doesn't mean anything

actually enforce safety standards - assuming they aren't being enforced now, you are talking about increased costs of compliance as well as increased tax burden to pay for additional enforcers. This causes the real price of consumer goods to rise

enforce disclosure laws so the market has better information - same

tax the ever lovin' fuck out of cash and semi-liquid investments (beyond a reasonable working capital) etc. - increased tax burden leads to increased costs which leads to increase prices.

What you've done is gone through a bunch of populist talking points and assumed that they will create jobs based on...well I can't see how anyone would look at that list of items and see job creation.

That's key right there. Even when the Dems have been able to turn an issue against the Republicans, the Republicans have the ability to simply ignore said issue and go back to their agenda. It doesn't matter how stupid, contradictory or outright insane, the GOP has decided to embrace their agenda wholeheartedly and it's working. While Democrats are busy fighting with the GOP and other Democrats to get things accomplished, the GOP is firmly united in trying to destroy their opposition.

You can fight this type of blind fervor, it is possible, but in order to do so the Dems would have to put more energy into the fight than they simply have right now.

The GOP has stumbled upon a really really good political strategy. Grind government to a halt so nothing gets done and nothing gets fixed and then blame it all on the Democrats. The party in power always takes the heat for stuff like the economy and what not.

And it works. It'll get you elected. The only caveat to the whole thing is you just have to be willing to not give a shit what happens to your country.

tax the ever lovin' fuck out of cash and semi-liquid investments (beyond a reasonable working capital) etc. - increased tax burden leads to increased costs which leads to increase prices.

Or companies park their cash in long term investments, decreasing liquidity, increasing borrowing and increasing leverage(BAD!).

The government has no magical JOBS button to press.

Archived