ASOIAF Weight Loss Challenge II

Seventh Pup

I think I'm noticing a few effects. Nothing major, but I'm noticing a bit more definition in my legs.

Or it's possible I just like rubbing my legs.

My legs look kinda sweet right now, is what I'm sayin'.

I forgot to weigh myself last weekend, so I'm interested to see where I'm at. No problems with the tweaks so far, though I've found unless I stick to a routine with the water drinking I just plain forget. 2 liters a day is a lot.

I had an exercise break through last night.

I've been in physical therapy all summer long for my back. My doctor has forbidden me from working out with my trainer but did say I could try pilates and yoga. I had never done pilates before this summer so its entirely new to me. And I've been having a real hard time with the breathing...because apparently I haven't been breathing correctly my entire life! LOL. Who knew there was a correct way to breath????? So I've been working at it but it hadn't really been clicking for me.

Then yesterday my physical therapist starts in on the breathing too and gives me a bunch of breathing exercises to do because apparently this will reawaken some dormant muscle that provides support around the lower back.

So last night I go to do my stair exercise and for some reason I decide to start working on the breathing exercises while climbing the stairs. Wow. I can't even begin to describe the difference other than to say that I worked at it for 45 minutes, all the while going up the stairs - with no stopping for catching breath - and I did not get winded at all. In fact at the end of the 45 minutes, I could have kept going...but stopped because I had this fear that it was just too good to be true and didn't want to go overboard.

But yeah I was basically able to go up 4 times the amount of stairs than I had done just this prior weekend in the same amount of time. Go breathing!

shitty workout once again this week. I thought beginners were supposed to see big gains? lol Nah but I think it's my own fault for exhausting myself with too much running/warmup sets beforehand. I know today wasn't a good leg day because I can't feel my thighs rubbing together.

yes. squats day should be all about squats. lose not your focus, young Jedi.

Edit to add, if there's one thing that makes me lose weight like nobody's business, it's doing squats and cardio in the same day. The calorie burn isn't like A + B, but more like A x B. If you're trying to gain, make sure you eat a ton of food after a day like that. (or just cut out the cardio and do more squats/ lunges)

I won't make my doing cardio five times this week. :frown5: Being sick Monday and then having book club tonight is just making this impossible. Why? Because I was exhausted last night and didn't do any cardio.

I also think I need to make an adjustment to my no beer rule. I think I should allow myself one day a month to have beer.

yes. squats day should be all about squats. lose not your focus, young Jedi.

Edit to add, if there's one thing that makes me lose weight like nobody's business, it's doing squats and cardio in the same day. The calorie burn isn't like A + B, but more like A x B. If you're trying to gain, make sure you eat a ton of food after a day like that. (or just cut out the cardio and do more squats/ lunges)

Yeah like I said, I realized my mistake afterward and I plan on replacing that running with lunges/pistols next time while I wait for a squat rack to open up. I was actually thinking of splitting up my workouts so I go 3x a week. Once for squats, once for deadlifts, and once for abs/core

I had a lousy week, weight-wise. I ate too much, I didn't do all the exercise I'd planned, and I drank a lot of beer and several drinks on Saturday night. I've felt really fat all week.

...But the scale still says I've lost 1.8 kg (4 lbs) since last week! This might mean my method of smaller portion sizes is working. Let's hope I can keep it up! :)

As for the tweak of the week, I eat too many sandwiches as between-meal snacks. Since a few days ago I've limited the number to two sandwiches per meal, no matter how hungry I am. Usually two are enough to stave off the hunger anyway; the third and fourth I eat mainly out of habit.

I've been in physical therapy all summer long for my back. My doctor has forbidden me from working out with my trainer but did say I could try pilates and yoga. I had never done pilates before this summer so its entirely new to me. And I've been having a real hard time with the breathing...because apparently I haven't been breathing correctly my entire life! LOL. Who knew there was a correct way to breath????? So I've been working at it but it hadn't really been clicking for me.

Then yesterday my physical therapist starts in on the breathing too and gives me a bunch of breathing exercises to do because apparently this will reawaken some dormant muscle that provides support around the lower back.

So last night I go to do my stair exercise and for some reason I decide to start working on the breathing exercises while climbing the stairs. Wow. I can't even begin to describe the difference other than to say that I worked at it for 45 minutes, all the while going up the stairs - with no stopping for catching breath - and I did not get winded at all. In fact at the end of the 45 minutes, I could have kept going...but stopped because I had this fear that it was just too good to be true and didn't want to go overboard.

But yeah I was basically able to go up 4 times the amount of stairs than I had done just this prior weekend in the same amount of time. Go breathing!

I last about 5 minutes on the stairs. You, lady, are a stair-steppin' goddess.

I had a lousy week, weight-wise. I ate too much, I didn't do all the exercise I'd planned, and I drank a lot of beer and several drinks on Saturday night. I've felt really fat all week.

...But the scale still says I've lost 1.8 kg (4 lbs) since last week! This might mean my method of smaller portion sizes is working. Let's hope I can keep it up! :)

As for the tweak of the week, I eat too many sandwiches as between-meal snacks. Since a few days ago I've limited the number to two sandwiches per meal, no matter how hungry I am. Usually two are enough to stave off the hunger anyway; the third and fourth I eat mainly out of habit.

I eat sandwiches a lot myself (with whole grain bread) and in between meals, a little PBJ (with sugar-free jelly) really does the trick to help tide me over. I've started cutting them into half sandwiches. Maybe that will work since you're already doing the smaller portions deal?

I eat sandwiches a lot myself (with whole grain bread) and in between meals, a little PBJ (with sugar-free jelly) really does the trick to help tide me over. I've started cutting them into half sandwiches. Maybe that will work since you're already doing the smaller portions deal?

I might start using that to nom between meals, maybe with a cut banana between the bread.

Eyelesbarrow you have been added to the list.

I am astonishingly sick right now. Sitting here in my pjs staring at screen, the letters are swimming as I type them. Everything hurts. I am going to be MIA for a until the letters all get life jackets and my mucus wants to stay in my body. My next week tweak is going to be candy only once a week. If you guys want to give each other awards that would be awesome. So inspired by all of you. Don't get sick it sucks. :)

Lady N that is amazing. It makes me want to take pilates and learn how to breath, because I always get winded. So awesome.

I also think I need to make an adjustment to my no beer rule. I think I should allow myself one day a month to have beer.

I think that is a good idea. Or maybe one beer a week? Or two beers every two weeks?

I last about 5 minutes on the stairs. You, lady, are a stair-steppin' goddess.
Lady N that is amazing. It makes me want to take pilates and learn how to breath, because I always get winded. So awesome.

Thanks ladies! Its amazing what a difference the breathing makes. Possibly you two can become non winded too if you try it.

I am astonishingly sick right now. Sitting here in my pjs staring at screen, the letters are swimming as I type them. Everything hurts. I am going to be MIA for a until the letters all get life jackets and my mucus wants to stay in my body.

Yikes that sounds dreadful! I hope you feel better soon. Get lots of rest and drink lots of liquids.

I am astonishingly sick right now. Sitting here in my pjs staring at screen, the letters are swimming as I type them. Everything hurts. I am going to be MIA for a until the letters all get life jackets and my mucus wants to stay in my body. My next week tweak is going to be candy only once a week. If you guys want to give each other awards that would be awesome. So inspired by all of you. Don't get sick it sucks. :)

Seventh, I have had this same type of sickness all week. Sounds similar to Nichole, too. And about 3 of my friends here in Denver. Something must going round. Get plenty of sleep and fluids. We'll be here when you get back!

Makes me wonder if trying to get healthy is actually making us sick....

Being healthy is bad for your health! LOL!

Actually I am having the worse time with allergies right now which I've never really had to deal with before. Apparently its just really bad right now and so its affecting even those who never normally get them. But my eyes were itching like crazy and my nose running until I took an allergy pill.

So today if off to a good start. I said no to my regular Friday morning donut. And I'm going to go to yoga at lunchtime.

Thanks, Seventh Pup!

ETA because I came in late: Short-term goal is basically to lose about 10 pounds. I'm halfway there. Long-term is to correct posture and eradicate lower back pain.

We used the barre today for most of the leg work. Hooked up one leg on it while stretching, that kind of stuff. I liked it more than the other exercises.

I think that is a good idea. Or maybe one beer a week? Or two beers every two weeks?

Thanks ladies! Its amazing what a difference the breathing makes. Possibly you two can become non winded too if you try it.

Yikes that sounds dreadful! I hope you feel better soon. Get lots of rest and drink lots of liquids.

Haha, for me, it's the PAIN! The ever-sufferin' pain. Oh, it's horrible. But, maybe the breathing will help me through that. :)

Archived