The "Ground Zero Mosque"

Guest Raidne

Yes I am aware, I suppose in the similar way some people (Mountain Meadows Massacre Foundation) take offense and consider it a dishonor to the memories of people that died in the Mountain Meadows Massacre that the LDS church is involved with the Memorial monument. And the LDS church is involved mainly because they want to make amends for the massacre to the descendents of its survivors. Is the mosque on the WTC site no, is it in the area, yes. Is it exactly the same situation no, but about as similar an example as I know of especially when of the reasons expressed for building the mosque is building bridges. So is it actually a dishonor, to me no, but seems it does seem like a subjective issue.

Err, the situation isn't even remotely the same after I hadd an opportunity to look up the Mountain Meadows Massacre on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre#Criticism_and_analysis_of_the_massacre

To note, your comparison failed the first and most crucial step .......... no Mormons were killed nor sacrificed themselves to save the victims of the massacre.

What is it with the apologists who keep coming up with the most inane historical examples to justify their irrational feeling of group blame?

Guest Raidne

FYI, Imam Rauf's wife, Daisy, who is Indian and a recipient of the Interfaith Center Award for Promoting Peace and Interfaith Understanding, is comparing the reaction to "metastasised antisemitism." I'd say that's about right.

ETA: Also, just for Happy Ent, here is an older Time article that quotes Daisy Khan on the effort of Muslims in America to provide real equality between the sexes in Islam.

"The newer generation wants to emerge with its own American Muslim identity," says Daisy Khan, director of the American Sufi Muslim Association. Scholars can cite no clear Koranic ban on female leaders, and Wadud thinks women's inequality is not a tenet of the faith but a mark of misguided tradition. "That's where most of the rules came along to say women cannot do things," she says.

The same argument would seem to apply to your concerns about a 'victory mosque'.

There are lots of worse things the U.S. has been blamed for than these protests. There aren't a whole lot of trophies for attacks in the U.S., though. And I don't expect the "trophy" to magically convert moderates into radicals. It's a morale boost for those who already are radicalized, and a real downer for those who lost friends or family on 9/11, who most certainly will here about it.

Raidne,

ETA: Also, just for Happy Ent, here is an older Time article that quotes Daisy Khan on the effort of Muslims in America to provide real equality between the sexes in Islam.

That's more or less my understanding of Islam as well. Things such as women having to cover their heads (I'm pretty sure the Koran only commands them to 'dress modestly', which isn't exactly out of step with other religions) and the aforementioned honour killings are cultural and pre-date Islam.

S John,

I appreciate what you're trying to do by trying to find a reasonable middle ground, but sorry, sometimes that just doesn't work.

I mean, would you have taken the same position when Rosa Parks decided to sit in the front of the bus?

There are times when one side is simply right and the other side is simply wrong! How do we know when that is the case? When one side is completely unable to come up with any logical, rational arguments. This is one of those cases. (And that's why the Rosa Parks comparison is apt, in my opinion.)

When you try to compromise between right and wrong you still end up somewhere on the wrong side of right.

Rosa Parks' action was a political statement regarding unjust laws. Upsetting people was a necessary step if those laws were to be discussed and changed.

The building of this facility is purportedly to bring people together in peace and friendship. It has accomplished the exact opposite, rather predicatably. Now, it's just the moslem version of the "We're here, we're queer" chant. It may make them feel better, but it's not bringing anyone together except to choose sides.

So I don't see the Rosa Parks comparison as quite apt.

Archived