Footy the 22nd!

MercenaryChef

Madrid has new signings Ozil and Khedira on the bench. Kaka out injured of course. Both Canales and Di Maria played on the wings, Ronaldo and Higuain upfront.

Barca, no problems without Zlatan. Funny, Messi's away from Argentina and he's right back to scoring again. And no one expected any different.

Milan were apparently very good, even without Zlatan. Played Ronaldinho, Borriello and Pato upfront, and the latter was the star of the show ( again).

Liverpool scraped a win at home to WBA with one of the least creative midfields ever: Jovanovic-Lucas-Poulson-Kuyt. I can only hope that Cole's return from suspension and Meireles' arrival will improve things.

Despite playing very badly so far and having two very difficult opening games, we have four points and could have had six but for a last-minute clanger by Reina against Arsenal.

But we need to start improving soon. If Konchesky is arriving, then at least we can have a proper left back in place to stabilize the defence. Agger is a very good player, but he's out of position and it's causing problems throughout the defence. The Carragher liability needs to be addressed too if Agger is available for a central position, though Skrtel is shaky at the moment too.

Then we need to establish the central midfield post-Mascherano, which I am guessing is Gerrard and Meireles with Cole playing behind Torres. I'm not sure that I agree with loaning Aquilani to Juventus: we don't have much back-up with his creativity and we did not receive a transfer payment that would enable us to buy a replacement.

Our wings will still lack threat, though Johnson offers some on the right, so a lot depends on Torres recovering and maintaining fitness and form and working miracles.

39 goals in 9 Bundesliga games this weekend, that's a nice average.

A few surprising results as well:

Kaiserslautern scored a modest 2 goals to beat Bayern, Mainz came back from 3 goals down to win in Wolfsburg, Hannover's win away to Schalke was probably quite satisfying for their coach Slomka (whom Schalke had fired after he had taken them to the CL quarter-finals) and finally Leverkusen lost 3-6 to Gladbach.

Combine all that with a good 4-2 home victory for Werder and this was a great football weekend.:thumbsup:

Our wings will still lack threat, though Johnson offers some on the right, so a lot depends on Torres recovering and maintaining fitness and form and working miracles.

when miracle working is part of your game plan for premiership success i would just get used to the idea of not likely playing in the champions league again for a very long time.

i look forward to the miracle plan. good luck with that!

I can see a fit Torres doing just that; the trick is keeping him fit.

Sunderland looked decent on MotD, and the Tevez miss was awesome.

True, true and true.

I celebrated for like 5 minutes when he missed. More when Bent scored.

when miracle working is part of your game plan for premiership success i would just get used to the idea of not likely playing in the champions league again for a very long time.

I wouldn't call that part the miracle. If Torres is fully fit for the whole season I'd say there's probably a decent chance he'll score enough goals to paper over the cracks and carry us to fourth place. It's the Torres being fully fit for the whole season part if he has to carry the team that's the problem.

Hopefully that won't be necessary and Gerrard, Cole and maybe Meireles can offer a bit more from midfield this season.

Played Ronaldinho, Borriello and Pato upfront, and the latter was the star of the show ( again).

Pato is majorly overrated. He'd be lost if he played in the EPL. Don't fancy Milan at all. Haven't really liked the changes they've made in the last few years.

Currently catching up on La Liga. It's not the same when it's not live.

Plus, they have this guy backing them up.

Haha, I saw this guy yesterday. In the last 10 minutes when Madrid were scrambling for a winning goal, the mascot caught a ball that went out of bounds. One of the Real Madrid players had to leap over the little fence and take the ball from him.

Also: Is it really that insulting to be called a "wheeler and dealer?"

That was awesome. Harry Redknapp is the footballing equivalent of Del Boy.

Isn't that exactly the sort of facile comparison he's getting upset about in the clip?

Barton has impressed me in the last two games as he's played well and hasn't done anything rash which is what he was always doing two season ago every time he was released from prison or returned from suspension.

I'd thought pigs would fly before this happens, but is it possible that he's actually grown up a bit?

Mignolet's super save

Watching MOTD, Mignolet looked impressive. I'm tempted to ask where he popped up from but am fully aware that the answer is "Belgium"...

Aaaand we need to stop conceding own goals in two-all draws. Beautifully taken shot by Pantsil... :rolleyes:

Schalke sign Huntelaar? I figured what they needed most would be a creative midfielder, he doesn't quite fit the bill.

And apparently Stuttgart are close to bringing in Camoranesi. Apparently signing ageing star players has become quite fashionable since Hamburg had some success with van Nistelrooy.

Archived