Footy the 22nd!

MercenaryChef

Watching MOTD, Mignolet looked impressive. I'm tempted to ask where he popped up from but am fully aware that the answer is "Belgium"...

Aaaand we need to stop conceding own goals in two-all draws. Beautifully taken shot by Pantsil... :rolleyes:

Mignolet was good, and yes, he did come from Belgium...got him for almost nothing in the summer. He wasn't that great against West Brom, flapped at crosses, and possibly could have done better for the goal, but, I've just realised, City didn't put in one dangerous cross near him. Two deep crosses almost led to chances, but none of their wingers got down the line, and whipped in a ball. Probably because Tevez isn't that big...

And

is why I love Steed Malbranque. What a legend! Humiliation for Milner :rofl: Love it.

I'd thought pigs would fly before this happens, but is it possible that he's actually grown up a bit?

No, he just knows this is 'make or break' as far as his career is concerned and has decided to be sensible, for a while. It won't last.

Schalke sign Huntelaar? I figured what they needed most would be a creative midfielder, he doesn't quite fit the bill.

And apparently Stuttgart are close to bringing in Camoranesi. Apparently signing ageing star players has become quite fashionable since Hamburg had some success with van Nistelrooy.

Huntelaar make an unwise move? That's never happened before. :D

And signing Van Nistelrooy was always going to be a good thing for Hamburg. A true great.

Looks like Bob Bradley is going to say on as USMNT manager:

http://www.ussoccer.com/Social/MNT-Blog.aspx?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1a697a53-a181-4302-aa61-f454d97c88fdPost%3a46473623-51a8-4db1-b346-1c824f63fe24

I'm disappointed by this. I like Bradley ok, but I wanted a new manager with some fresh tactical ideas. 4 years is a long time, and I think things get rather stale and in a rut. Remember how well Bruce Arena did in 2002, but then presided over a pretty awful world cup 2006. 2010 was pretty good for us, but I'm not sure Bob Bradley really knows how to push on from here.

Schalke sign Huntelaar? I figured what they needed most would be a creative midfielder, he doesn't quite fit the bill.

An excuse to quote myself, how could I resist? Schalke have signed the midfielder they needed in Atletico Madrid's Jurado.

The amount of money they've spent is ridiculous, particularly considering their debts. If they miss out on the CL this season they might be in big trouble.

ETA:

Looks like Bob Bradley is going to say on as USMNT manager:

http://www.ussoccer....46-1c824f63fe24

I'mdisappointed by this. I like Bradley ok, but I wanted a new managerwith some fresh tactical ideas. 4 years is a long time, and I thinkthings get rather stale and in a rut. Remember how well Bruce Arena didin 2002, but then presided over a pretty awful world cup 2006. 2010 waspretty good for us, but I'm not sure Bob Bradley really knows how topush on from here.

The thing to be worried about about is that he apparently was looking for a better offer from Europe and only commited to the US job when there were none forthcoming.

Don't discount the benefits of long and stable reigns for national coaches. Germany has overall done pretty well in the past and Löw is only the 10th national manager in DFB history.

Of course England only having had 15 and Brazil too many to count kind of implies that stability is not a sure road to success.;)

On non-transfer related news Craig Levein says that Mikel Arteta is ineligible to play for England.

As far as I'm aware, the rules are that he has to be educated (in UK) for five years. The home associations have an agreement.

And Celtic's biggest shareholder Dermot Desmond has brought up the annual "Old Firm moving to England" rubbish which will give the tabloids something to write about if there aren't many transfers this afternoon.

Right, i've just sat down for the next 6 hours 30 minutes with sky sports news on deadline day, hoping against hope newcastle bring in 3 players of quality to steady the ship. i expect to be very disapointed by 1800.

so far nobody has done anything of note.

yip, because i work shifts sky sports news is one of my best friends in all the world.

i may go to the shop but i'm about as mobile as kermit without a hand up his ass for the rest of the day.

i'm trying to think of a single time newcastle have completed a good signing on transfer deadline day. only one springs to mind and that was jonathon woodgate, and he only played about 1 game in 5 for us.

The best one I've seen yet is Birmingham capturing Alex Hleb from Barcelona. I was imagining he'd want to join a club competing in Europe, but I guess he wants to return to the EPL that bad.

Birmingham can probably pay him more than any other club that might be interested in signing him.

That too.

The biggest deals that seem be going on is Gyan finalising his transfer to Sunderland for a huge 12 million. He's a good player, but it still remains a bit of a gamble considering the fee. And Tottenham are supposedly trying to sign Ryan Babel for 10 million, with Liverpool pressing West Ham for England striker, Carlton Cole.

Still time to go. Celtic have signed Anthony Stokes. Good enough signing, I figure. Kind of wish we'd given Cilian Sheridan a chance instead of allowing him to join CSKA Sofia.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Robinho has left for AC Milan on a permanent deal. Sounds like City will have a ten million loss on that, but no longer having a 130k a week player on your wage list is a good burden to be rid of. He came, he flopped. I'd imagine Serie A, while proving easier, will be similarly gruelling for the player.

Expect him back in Brazil before the next WC.

I wish the bloody Gyan deal would be finalised.

And N'Zogbia, would you just come on!

Hleb is the best signing imo, Milan may do better with Robinho, Ibra, Ronaldinho and Pato in attack. 4 extremely talented, yet inconsitent, players.

Wow, Robinho makes it to AC Milan. Will Serie A actually give us an great title race this year? Last season actually heated up at the end, but it was unsatisfying at the end when Roma threw it away in that Sampdoria game.

I think Pato could really be amazing with Big Ibra next to him distracting defenders. Up until now, it's easy to close down Pato since he's their only real goal threat.

Wenger is very stubborn...thought Schwarzer would go at least.

As for Sunderland, Gyan is in, eventually. I heard it was almost confirmed a week ago, we left it pretty bloody late. I think £13m is quite steep for a player with his goalscoring record, but I'm hoping he can contribute all over the pitch. Waghorn is gone to Leicester for £3m to make up the money for it...which means we now only have 3 fit strikers (Bent, Gyan and Welbeck). Campbell is out for 6 months and Ryan Noble isn't ready for the step up yet. And then there's Healy...who has been shit in every game he's played. Sad, really.

Beausejour, Hleb and Jiranek in for Birmingham which I think is the best business of the last day.

If the VdV to Spurs rumours are true...that's great stuff from Redknapp. I might even say he's a bit of a...wheeler-dealer :P

I can't recall what Beausejour was like during the WC, as they played as such an effective unit. It was truly brilliant to watch them. I wish I had the games recorded (or on DVD) to study their formation and watch the changes off and on the ball.

Bielsa is a genius. I hope he continues to be a fine tactician. I want to see more of the Chile I saw during the WC and briefly in qualifying.

Archived