"I don't carry cash"

ztemhead

Greece is still pretty much a cash economy (and this is why tax evasion is such a problem here but that's another issue altogether). While Mashiara gets her pay direct deposited I get mine in cash. It actually works out nicely as we can have money around and money in the bank without actually visiting the bank. Debit cards and on-line bill payment are just starting to appear now. I rarely even carry a credit or cash card with me but always have some cash in my pocket. I'm not sure I even remember my PIN for one of the cash cards.

We too have €40 stashed in the car, primarily for when we go to the beach and aren't carrying anything else with us. It used to be €20 but, you know, inflation and all that.

Sweden calls it the IRS too?

I was more surprised that Sweden uses dollars. (and at 10$ being an 'only 10$' meal. I mean, its not exactly expensive here, but its not like something you point out the cheapness of either. I thought sweden was supposed to be the cheap bit of scandinavia.)

I rarely use cash, but make a point to have some change for whatever anyway. Particularly a lot of food places have a minimum charge, and then theres spontaneous market trips or something.

Sweden is the expensive part of Scandinavia, though there are regional variances obviously.

And $10 is "only" when contrasted to $530, no?

No, its only 10$ when compared to meals that are more than 10$, thus suggesting a normal meal is more than 10$ (pedantry, yo.)

I thought Norway was the expensive bit, actually. (But, really, who can tell them apart under the snow?)

I've had the same $20 in my wallet for a couple months now, aside from that and a few ones and maybe a five that's all I carry. I use my credit card for just about everything so I can get the points. But I also pay my entire bill every month, I never let it go over so I'm paying interest.

The only place I really regularly pay cash at is this one man small town "Floyd-the-Barber" type barber shop where I get my haircut. I get better haircuts there than any of the fancy barber shops in the city.

I thought Norway was the expensive bit, actually. (But, really, who can tell them apart under the snow?)

A medium Big Mac meal comes pretty close to $14 here. Cheap set menu lunches at Chinese restaurants about the same. Midnight snack joints targeting drunk people starts at about $10 with no drinks, add 3 bucks for a Sprite. In Norwegian currency it will be about 85-90kr, so to pay for a meal with a 100 bill, and even get some cash back is just a great deal.

There are better deals to be found, but I think this is pretty average. Oh, and I more or less always use the card unless I am close to broke. In those cases, I get more a feel for what thing costs on my dwindling budget if I have the money physically in hand.

I might have £5 or £10 in my wallet if I know I'm going to be some place that I don't want to pay with the card.

Strangely through I generally have a lot of loose change in my back pockets at all times for sausage rolls, steak beaks or bus fare.

I carry toonies and loonies.

And that's what I love about Canadian money. You know those days when it's getting close to payday and you're broke, and you're fishing for bus fare through the change you hear rattling at the bottom of your school bag only to pull out a fist full of loonies and toonies. Score.

And that's what I love about Canadian money. You know those days when it's getting close to payday and you're broke, and you're fishing for bus fare through the change you hear rattling at the bottom of your school bag only to pull out a fist full of loonies and toonies. Score.

Our bills are also pretty colours. :wideeyed:

For the majority of the past six or seven years I have been using the debit card instead of cash. The problem I am running into now that money is a little bit tighter is that it is somehow much harder to keep track of how much I am spending with debit cards. At the moment I am in a bit of a cash-carrying phase. If it makes sense to keep doing so, then I probably will. At least I can monitor how much I have spent using a little mental arithmetic, instead of trying to figure out where all my receipts have gone.

:lol: I didn't see this thread before I posted in the Yard Sale thread.

I'll go out of my way to get cash if I'm traveling, going out in a group, cabbing it anywhere, buying a burrito at my local taqueria(I feel bad using plastic there), or getting weed. Generally, any cash I have on me is whatever is left over from any of those aforementioned instances.

I'm kind of the opposite of some of the people in this thread - I just converted a bunch of foreign currency and I am cash-heavy at the moment, and I'm really fighting the urge to run to Best Buy and blow it all on DVDs and video games. Having a bunch of cash feels more real to me than the plastic does.

What I'd like to see happen in the US: Get rid of the penny and round it all up to .05 And the only way we are going to get people to use the $1 coin is to stop making them. Based on my cash handling experience the most popular bill is the $20 and least popular bill is the $10... That could have been because the drinks were so damn expensive at the Douche Bar I worked in.

I only use cash at the laundromat. Honestly, I think it's been at least five years since I've used it anywhere else. I was genuinely shocked when the ATM gave me the new monopoly money one day.

Archived