"I don't carry cash"

ztemhead

Why does it takes so long for processing the cards? If change is involved, cash usually takes just as long as cards over here.

It's entirely the company's fault, really. They refuse to upgrade the medieval system because it doesn't put money in their pocket, and each of the others in the area feels the same, so the drivers are left with little recourse except to refuse credit outright (and thus lose money anyway) or try to educate the customers with regard to how badly we're getting screwed. If it was just zip-zip-done like you see at a retail operation, my only objection would be the outrageous fee.

It's entirely the company's fault, really. They refuse to upgrade the medieval system because it doesn't put money in their pocket, and each of the others in the area feels the same, so the drivers are left with little recourse except to refuse credit outright (and thus lose money anyway) or try to educate the customers with regard to how badly we're getting screwed. If it was just zip-zip-done like you see at a retail operation, my only objection would be the outrageous fee.

To be fair, the cabs I'm used to (in NYC) all are required to take cards, and it's very efficient; you enter tip on a touchscreen, swipe the card, and wait for your receipt (or not); if you have the card out and don't mess it up, it's probably faster than getting change and giving a tip.

• 2 months later...

To be fair, the cabs I'm used to (in NYC) all are required to take cards, and it's very efficient; you enter tip on a touchscreen, swipe the card, and wait for your receipt (or not); if you have the card out and don't mess it up, it's probably faster than getting change and giving a tip.

Yes, to be clear I am specifically referring to the company that I personally contract with (though the others in my area are no different)... Some others (in more competitive markets, or in markets where the law has stepped in to regulate), including those in NYC, are much more up to date.

I don't have any credit cards at all, never have.

I tend to carry at least a 20 on me, plus a few dollars in change (or more, god bless toonies). I use debit most of the time (well, for over 10$ purchases), but I like having enough cash to cover, say, gas purchases on the off chance the debit system is down.

and, debit at Timmies? such a bad call from teh service side of it. Sunday morning drive-thru with 20 cars all buying a coffee with debit...and screaming about the wait as they fumble for debit cards and readers.

-I was a baker, not counter staff, so i just heard teh complaints-

total tangent - did you know...jelly donuts are filled with a pump that is set to deliver a set amount? said amount is `8-12 units of jelly. BUT - you can actually, if you are careful, fill them to 68 before they split in your hands like a spleen. Double or triple filling the Timbits on Sunday morning always cheered me up. Picture the family off to church, and little Bobby gets an overloaded Timbit...

and, debit at Timmies? such a bad call from teh service side of it. Sunday morning drive-thru with 20 cars all buying a coffee with debit...and screaming about the wait as they fumble for debit cards and readers.

QFT. Of course, cash-only lines at hospital Tim's can be just as slow and plodding (and frustrating).

I always carry cash. In fact, I might leave my card at home, but going out without cash is not a clever choice around here. Cabs, a lot of small coffee shops and all street vendors don't take cards and as far as I know even the public transport offices are refusing them as a form of payment.

To be honest, the equivalent of 'I don't carry cash' here is 'I don't have change' and than asking if anybody else had some. I also avoid lending small sums of money (up to like 10$, but that sounds like much after all currency conversions and approximations I did), If it is a close friend, I'd just buy the thing and forget about it... chances are they're going to buy something for me and forget about it, the next time I don't have change.

I am confused about why it's any more difficult to dispense one's debit card than it would be to dispense one's cash. If some ape-like creature has difficulty with either, it should be the ape-like creature's stupidity that is to blame rather than the card or the cash.

Seriously. I used to cashier, and swiping a credit card was just as fast or faster for me as the average cash transaction, and much faster than when I'd get the asshole who spends a minute trying to find perfect change in their wallet as if its somehow helpful (or the idiot who pays a $1.29 total with a $100 bill as my second customer of the morning and makes me slow down the line for everyone else two customers later when I'm wiped out of small bills).

I have one credit card. And I always carry cash. I find that I can usually eek out what I need to pay for in cash, and then it doesn't go on my credit card.

I never leave the house without $20 and lots of change, The groceries don't like me.

I always have cash on me. Not too much though. Usually not more than $40. If I'm carrying more I have my boyfriend hold it in his super deep pockets unless I have some secure zipper pockets on me. I always have my debit card too but don't have any credit cards. I am also really strange because I don't own a wallet and probably never will. Everything that matters to me must fit in my (small) pockets.

I hate it when people count out exact change. I also always ask the store if they take big bills before getting on line. I just empty all the change out of my pockets at the end of the day and put it in two jars and when they get full I cash them in for bills.

What say you? Do you carry cash still? Use a card for everything? Live in Japan and pay for all your stuff using your Iphone?

I never ever carry cash anymore. I live in a fairly large town in Sweden where you can use your visa in any store. I don't drive either, so I don't need coins for parking. I can't even recall anything I would actually need cash for, you have your bus card for the bus (which you refill/buy with your credit card), taxis take all sorts of plastic and so do clubs and pubs. Maybe if I went to the countryside and had to stop by a little store by a farm and buy some eggs or something, but that doesn't exactly happen often.

My father is very old-fashioned, he never pays with plastic. When he gets his salary, he takes out a good chunk of it and keeps it in his wallet. Just thinking about it makes me worried he's gonna lose his wallet or something :stunned: Luckily I have taught them how to pay their bills online, so they don't have to sit and count everything up manually anymore.

Seriously. I used to cashier, and swiping a credit card was just as fast or faster for me as the average cash transaction, and much faster than when I'd get the asshole who spends a minute trying to find perfect change in their wallet as if its somehow helpful (or the idiot who pays a $1.29 total with a $100 bill as my second customer of the morning and makes me slow down the line for everyone else two customers later when I'm wiped out of small bills).

People don't pay with exact change to be helpful, they pay with exact change to get rid of coins and not get any new ones.

The idea that we, the customer, should do what is most convenient for you, the cashier, is ludicrous.

Like shryke said, we do it for our own benefit, and not yours.

You'd be surprised at the number of small old ladies who seem to think it actually is helpful for them to stand there and sort through their change for over a minute looking for that last coin. Though I can hardly complain, because when I was seven I bought a gameboy game entirely in quarters, for which I probably earned a lifetime of cashier-related punishment.

Though, yeah, I didn't expect people to pay based on what makes it easiest for the cashier. I was just pointing out to the people talking about donuts that cash is in no way, at least in my opinion, any better than credit in terms of moving the line.

Archived