Boardwalk Empire

Anya, Vengeance Demon

He is clearly and impatiently waiting the anteroom for an audience with Nucky, but after the setup of the pregnant Irish woman story, Nucky then clearly leaves thru the front of the hotel with no further mention of Chalky, whom he would have had to walk past. That my friend is a continuity error. Nothing fatal, but like I said intially, it was an underwhelming debut.

When Nucky accepts Margaret, he tells his assistant; "No more appointments". I'm taking that to believe that the assistant informs Chalky that Nucky doesn't have time for him, and Chalky, already stating that he doesn't have all day, leaves his waiting room. No continuity error there.

The episode was great, met my high-high expectations and then some. :D

A very good start that hopefully sets the tone for the show. Can definitely tell that Winter is the showrunner (possibly moreso than Scorcese's direction).

I was surprised how likeable the character of Jimmy is. Almost looks as though he's as big a part of the show as Nucky. Both actors nailed the parts too.

I was a little lost at who everybody was but that's usual with HBO and I'm sure they'll be distinguishable later.

I like the idea that Prohibition is ushering in the younger more violent gangsters. Looks like Nucky will need Jimmy to survive it all.

I liked it. Lots of potential. I think it tried a little too hard to stand on its own, and the resolution to some of the plotlines felt a bit forced. I mean seriously, they've already caused a miscarriage and killed off the abusive husband? Goddamn, I was just getting to know these people!

The acting was great, the writing was a little stilted but I expect that in a pilot. However, most importantly, I loved the characters, especially the "real" ones like Luciano, Rothstein, and Capone. Got a little shiver whenever they appeared onscreen.

Just one question: When Terrio/Tessio/something got his grey matter splattered over the gramophone, who did it, and why?

If people want to quibble, how about 'Lucky' actually being called 'Lucky' in 1919 and already being scarred up?

I wonder what format the show is going to take with regards to timelines, one year a season?

ETA: Some inconsistencies but I had a blast watching it, fuck it,its entertainment on a grand scale.

I don't understand the quibble. Nucky Thompson ≠ Nucky Johnson.

The Imp's Advocate,

Wanted him out of the way so they could rake in the dough with bootlegging. Colissimo was happy to stick to running prostitutes, something his colleagues clearly didn't agree with.

That pilot was ridiculously entertaining. Very excited about the rest of the season. I'm glad i wasn't the only one to notice that is widow was Molly Parker (Alma Garrett on Deadwood). Also, I'm kind of hoping that eventually Stephen Graham will portray all of the notable gangsters of the era, because he was awesome in Public Enemies as Baby-faced Nelson, and it looks like he'll be stellar as Capone too.

That's Michael Pitt. He's very talented and probably would be a bigger star already, but rumor is he can be hard to work with.

He's been good in everything ive seen him in. A Hollywood actor who actually ...acts. Rare breed.

Anyway, i thought the pilot was pretty good. The dialog was a little wooden and the Boardwalk set looked like it was made out of cardboard but i expect the scripts to get tighter as the characters get fleshed out(the set is a minor quibble).

I'm not a huge fan of modern Scorsese so im looking forward to episodes not helmed by one of the most over rated directors of the 21st century.

Why is Colismo not wanting to get into bootlegging a problem? Why not just run your operation around him? Why is it necessary to have every boss on board? I mean, if it is such an enormous problem, why wouldn't Colosimo realize he was painting a great big target on the back of his head?

I, too, was underwhelmed, though only little bit, by this opening. Don't misunderstand me, there were some real highlights, and I seem to recall having bust up laughing at one point (though I don't remember at what). But the quirky funny bits of Nucky at home weren't funny enough, and Mary MacDonald's first scene with Nucky somehow lacked punch for me. It seemed to take forever to get off the ground.

And I have to say that although it was cute, the bit with the Feds at the top of the gangland meeting scene only made me infinitely more confused about who was who. I got Lucky and Rothstein, but Colosimo and Torrio were a mystery to me. I knew them as "clam guy" and "short and savvy" respectively, in my head. That is, I take it the guy at the table who wasn't Colosimo, Nucky, Lucky, or Arnold, was Torrio, yeah?

Schroeder getting whacked felt good, but not quite as good as I wanted it to, because we'd only just met the guy. I liked the angle of Nucky and his wife, and a little bit, too, with the Commodore, because it gives him some depth. We learn he has a genuine, a nearly earnest side. It just seemed so disconnected, somehow -- and the depth was lost because the challenges he faces aren't anything we wouldn't have reasonably expected him to deal with anyway.

It just seemed a little ... pale, overall. This episode could have socked me in the jaw, and instead it hit me with a joy buzzer. I wanted to be knocked on my ass with wonder or surprise, and it didn't happen.

Wait ....

he's not in gangster mode, when it comes his driver who is clearly snitching to the feds, but when it comes to some poor drunken immigrant slub, who he is selling booze and gambling to, btw. He's quick to use the Police Dept as his personal hit squad ? If that makes sense to you, then I guess it was a great premiere.

Me ? I need a lot more quality than that to call it even good. It was ok, but had major issues.

Well i had a similar initial reaction Sword, but really, that wife beating prick deserved some pain. Maybe not death, but hey, her being a widow means Nucky can peruse.

Ah, knew I recognized him from somewhere. Yes, Jeffrey Wells was writing about the fact that there was a lot of buzz over him a few years back, and then it sort of petered out.

I recognized Michael Pitt as the co-star of an off-beat indie flick "Delirious" where he plays a homeless kid taken under the wing of a low-rent paparazzo played by none other than .... Steve Buscemi. There is also Alison Lohman as his love interest and a smoking hot Gina Gershon playing the kid's first meal ticket. I enjoyed both Pitt and Buscemi in it, worth checking out.

I wanted to be knocked on my ass with wonder or surprise, and it didn't happen.

How often does that happen? Especially when you WANT it to happen? Seems like an unreasonable demand to have.

These shows evolve over time anyway. Most first episodes aren't that great (exceptions that i can think of off the top of my head...Dexter aaaaaaaand....Carnivale? Maybe Deadwood?)

Am I saying that the pilot means it'll be a bad show? I am not. I haven't decided against it for all time, but I think we should expect to be knocked on our asses.

I don't imagine that any artist (director, chef, stylist, painter, playwright, etc) sets out to deliberately hand people ho-hum. "Look, people, I know your instinct will be to reach deep inside yourself and show this audience something they've never seen before. Let's try to restrain that impulse, shall we? I want them to like it, but not love it. I want to do scenes we've seen before, without adding too much that's new. No need to tax them, yeah? Okay, let's do it!"

Their very intention is to wow us, so I think we should intend to respond to whether or not they succeeded and to what degree.

Why is Colismo not wanting to get into bootlegging a problem? Why not just run your operation around him? Why is it necessary to have every boss on board? I mean, if it is such an enormous problem, why wouldn't Colosimo realize he was painting a great big target on the back of his head?

Torrio was Colosimo's second in command, and basically ran the business while Colosimo reaped the rewards and lived the high life. When Colosimo take his stance against getting involved in bootlegging, Torrio uses the opportunity of his making an unpopular decision to bump him off and take over his criminal machine.

I gather their presence in Atlantic City was to bring Rothstein and his second, Luciano, into contact with Nucky, and earn a fee for making the introductions. Plus, Colosimo was against getting involved in bootlegging directly, but he still wanted a source for alcohol for his many, many speakeasies, brothels, etc. He preferred to be a consumer than a producer or distributor, though.

And I have to say that although it was cute, the bit with the Feds at the top of the gangland meeting scene only made me infinitely more confused about who was who. I got Lucky and Rothstein, but Colosimo and Torrio were a mystery to me. I knew them as "clam guy" and "short and savvy" respectively, in my head. That is, I take it the guy at the table who wasn't Colosimo, Nucky, Lucky, or Arnold, was Torrio, yeah?

Yes.

Archived