More on America's Obesity Problem

Guest Raidne

People should have the willpower not to eat at a ****hole like Applebee's.

;)

:lol:

As much as I know I hate Applebee's, I will find myself seeing the commercials and thinking, "that looks good." It's kind of like Red Lobster commercials, they make the food look good, but then you go there and it is nothing like that.

By the way, did nobody click on the link of the year-old McDonald's burger in the OP? And if you did, how can you not remark on identical it looks to any burger they're dishing out right now? Not to mention the fries.

Also, have we mentioned that artificial sweeteners are also the devil. They make rats fat. And when did they go into regular circulation?

I swear, you drink them, your body thinks you have calories, you don't, and then you're hungry. It's like taking an appetite stimulant.

And! And! What about Coco's thread, huh? Surely that has some bearing on this whole obesity thing? Who else keep Taco Bell and Whitecastle in business?

I'm not going to get into derailing this thread but suffice it to say that when you brought this up in the weight loss thread I was not alone in believing you to have exagerrated your calories burned.

frankly i couldn't care less whether you beleive me, i know what i can do. what your problem is that 'you' cannot do it.

i'll give the same answer i gave then, get on a bike at your gym for 30 minutes working at 300 watts. see how many calories you burn (you probably won't be able to turn it at 300 watts for more than a couple of minutes but that is because i am probably much much much fitter than you). sorry to sound dickish but i'm sick of people questioning me, i have absolutely no reason to lie to a bunch of people i'm never going to meet.

frankly i couldn't care less whether you beleive me, i know what i can do. what your problem is that 'you' cannot do it.

i'll give the same answer i gave then, get on a bike at your gym for 30 minutes working at 300 watts. see how many calories you burn (you probably won't be able to turn it at 300 watts for more than a couple of minutes but that is because i am probably much much much fitter than you). sorry to sound dickish but i'm sick of people questioning me, i have absolutely no reason to lie to a bunch of people i'm never going to meet.

On the completely inaccurate and wildly overestimating calories counters you mean?

And yeah, I'm sure you're superfit with your 6,000 alcohol calories a week. Go you!

On the completely inaccurate and wildly overestimating calories counters you mean?

And yeah, I'm sure you're superfit with your 6,000 alcohol calories a week. Go you!

and that is why i train like a loon to get rid of those calories. there is a number of top top proffesional athletes that were full blow alcoholics. Bryan Robson was one of the fittest footballers i've ever seen and he was a fully functional alcoholic.

and try checking out watts not calorie counters since that is what i mentioned. if you can manage 10 minutes at 300 watts on a bike in a gym i'll be impressed/surprised. i've done an hour, once, thought i was going to die.

And to Raidne, you absolutely cannot compare the two, because there is far more stress put on your body through running than there are cycling. also how did you come to those figures, to accurately work it out you'd have to know my weight. burning calories is a lot easier the bigger you are.

Okay deal. But let it be known that I'm friends with the cycling instructor at our office gym and am bypassing serious pwnage here, just because you asked. ;)

Oh yeah, Trisk, let's all get something out of this thread and list off the surprising things that are terrible for you:

Chipotle is the devil. Seriously. The freaking tortilla has about 300 calories by itself. And 9 grams of fat! Add carnitas/steak/chicken? 480 calories total. Add lettuce, tomato, salsa. 520. Add corn. 600. Add cheese. 700. Add rice. 830. Add black beans. 950. And...add sour cream. 1070. Want guacamole too? 1220.

Yeah, all true - but just look at the size of Chipotle Burritos - who thinks they're not getting a ton of calories in that thing? I wouldn't recommend Chipotle to anyone trying to reduce their caloric intake. Also how many people are able to finish an entire fully loaded Chipotle burrito? I do, but judging by many lunches at Chipotle with friends, think I'm in the minority.

Still not sure at all of Frisky's comparison of Chipotle to a Whopper. Even if calories are higher, well, calories aren't the entire equation. There's a marked difference in how processed and unnatural the latter is in comparison to the former. Don't have the stats in front of me but I'm pretty sure I saw the saturated fat content is like night and day. Also eat Burger King/McDonalds/Taco Bell every lunch for a month and we'll see how you're doing nutritionally versus eating Chipotle every day at lunch. I find I just feel different. I'm never going to promote Chipotle as "healthy" food especially in these threads which largely focus on weight loss as a goal but I do disagree with characterizing it as equivalent to burger chains just based on calories.

Holy Shit. I can understand how a salad in a tostada can have a ton of calories, or a cobb salad, but Einstein Brothers, what are you doing?

Bistro Salad with Chicken

940 calories

71 g fat (12 g saturated)

810 mg sodium

I'm looking at this thing, and it's, like, chicken on lettuce. What's going on here?

And Applebees!

Grilled Shrimp and Spinach Salad

1,050 calories

11 g saturated fat

2,530 mg sodium

What?!?!?!

If I'm looking at a menu, and I see freaking grilled shrimp on spinach, I am just not going to think that's unhealthy.

It's all willpower my ass.

I almost always order salad when we are out. I met some new friends on Tuesday at a Perkins. Some of the youngens had the dishes with the country gravey and extra gravey. I ordered the salad. It came and everyone was staring at my plate. I might have been better off eating the whatevers with sausage gravey.

(it was served on a bread plate, wtf?)

I think those comparisons are a little unfair though. Who goes to McDonalds and just eats one big mac?

Almost no one.

Conversely, most people eat a burrito as their entire meal.

Or 2 meals. I love their burritos but like chinese food, they are at least 2 meals.

Oh yeah, Trisk, let's all get something out of this thread and list off the surprising things that are terrible for you:

Chipotle is the devil. Seriously. The freaking tortilla has about 300 calories by itself. And 9 grams of fat! Add carnitas/steak/chicken? 480 calories total. Add lettuce, tomato, salsa. 520. Add corn. 600. Add cheese. 700. Add rice. 830. Add black beans. 950. And...add sour cream. 1070. Want guacamole too? 1220.

OTOH, for about 550, you can have a chipotle burrito if you stick to the vegetables and meat.

Other tips: all sandwiches at Cosi that are not "light" are terrible. Everything at Corner Bakery is terrible except the salads. Some of the pasta dishes are over 1,000 calories.

Eating pasta out is almost always going to be a big mistake. #1 reason, portion size.

It works the other way round as well, I still weigh about the same as when I was doing more exercise, I've just replaced muscle with fat. I don't think in general people are actually bothered about their weight when they are talking about losing weight, they just want to lose fat.

I just finished 2 1/2 months on the couch recovering from foot surgery. Amazingly, I only gained 4 pounds, but I did gain a lot more in inches. And this conversion is so muh easier than reversing it. :lol:

By the way, did nobody click on the link of the year-old McDonald's burger in the OP? And if you did, how can you not remark on identical it looks to any burger they're dishing out right now? Not to mention the fries.

Also, have we mentioned that artificial sweeteners are also the devil. They make rats fat. And when did they go into regular circulation?

I swear, you drink them, your body thinks you have calories, you don't, and then you're hungry. It's like taking an appetite stimulant.

And! And! What about Coco's thread, huh? Surely that has some bearing on this whole obesity thing? Who else keep Taco Bell and Whitecastle in business?

Which artificial sweetners? I am very interested in Stevia and am even frowing my own.

I give up Coke, but drink a ton of tea sweetened with Splenda. This can not be nearly as bad. I mean every one says calories in v. calories out, and using artificial sweetners is zero calories in, so how can they possibly make you fat?

6000 calories is only 4 pints a day, if you cannot handle that i would suggest you have bigger problems than not being much cop in the gym.

Depending on the beer that could be 4 times the weekly recommended limit. Why would I want to subject myself to becoming an alcoholic?

Yeah, all true - but just look at the size of Chipotle Burritos - who thinks they're not getting a ton of calories in that thing? I wouldn't recommend Chipotle to anyone trying to reduce their caloric intake. Also how many people are able to finish an entire fully loaded Chipotle burrito? I do, but judging by many lunches at Chipotle with friends, think I'm in the minority.

Still not sure at all of Frisky's comparison of Chipotle to a Whopper. Even if calories are higher, well, calories aren't the entire equation. There's a marked difference in how processed and unnatural the latter is in comparison to the former. Don't have the stats in front of me but I'm pretty sure I saw the saturated fat content is like night and day. Also eat Burger King/McDonalds/Taco Bell every lunch for a month and we'll see how you're doing nutritionally versus eating Chipotle every day at lunch. I find I just feel different. I'm never going to promote Chipotle as "healthy" food especially in these threads which largely focus on weight loss as a goal but I do disagree with characterizing it as equivalent to burger chains just based on calories.

See, this is where education fails us. How many people have said how many times it is all about calories in and calories out. Obviously, the quality of the calories has to matter as well. This brings us back to the previous thread, but it is something that is important for people to think about and realize.

There is a lot more involved than just counting the calories eaten and expended.

Archived