College Football Again

BLU-RAY

Yeah, Ivan Maisel was saying on the podcast earlier this week that this week doesn't have many good games, when 8 out of 10 pac 10 games are fantastic matchups (and even the washington state game is interesting if they upset SMU). Just because the rest of the country scheduled shit for weeks 1 and 3 doesn't mean the pac10 scheduled shitty for week three, we've got great games this weekend.

And speaking of, it's ridiculous that Gameday is at the auburn Clemson game, Arizona/Iowa is by far the best game of the weekend and they should be out at Arizona this weekend not in the fucking south again.

Kansas is going to be a schizophrenic team this year, they got crushed on the road tonight.

down by ten at the half, come on Cal!

in other news, it looks like I'm going to see my first Pac10 game not at the Coliseum this year. I'm a USC grad (never been to a game at the Rose bowl, btw) my girlfriend is a UCLA grad and we've worked out that 1. we want to visit SF and 2. we want to go to a college game this year, so we are probably going to the UCLA at Cal game on October 9th. Any suggestions on what to do after the game? I'm planning on Cheeseboard Pizza before the game, and taking BART across the Bay to Cal seems more reasonable than being stuck in traffic on the Bay Bridge after the game, but other than using BART and eating at Cheeseboard we've no plans.

And there's the possibility of a double header that day as well, USC is at Stanford on October 9th (it's SoCal Vs NorCal weekender day!) playing at 5pm. Is a double header feasible if it's three hours before or after the USC game?, or do you need at least 4-5 hours in between kickoffs to properly do a doubleheader? (it's not yet scheduled, so it'll either be a later game, I imagine or an earlier game, I doubt it'll be on at the same time as the USC/Stanford game.

You're gonna need at least 1.5 to 2 hours to get between Berkeley and the Farm, as you have to either go Bart to Caltrain or drive, which as you say will probably be traffic-filled. You could try it, though.

Cheeseboard is a smart choice, btw. Good stuff.

ETA: Oh, for fuck's sakes. Pick-six.

I've had Cheeseboard once before when I was visiting a former roommate doing grad school at Cal, delicious stuff.

Haven't both cal and Stanford refurbished their stadiums recently?

I wish the coliseum commission would just let USC buy The Coliseum, then we could refurbish it to be awesome. it's a great old fashioned stadium, I love that I have friends who have sat next to George Lucas before because there are no boxes at USC (also why a lot of celebs used to be on the sidelines in the Pete Carroll era) but it's damn uncomfortable. But a warm afternoon in the fall at the coliseum is awesome, though sunset games are definitely the best, cause then you bust out a sweatshirt and scarf a dog. and my freshman year, that's when you bought beer with your fake. mmmm.

The new Stanford Stadium opened my freshman year in '05; Cal is due for a refurbishment, which is scheduled for next year, and they'll play in Phone Company Park in SF, which should be... interesting.

ETA: Whoa, Tedford goes for it, 4th and 10 from the 15-ish... don't make it... gg, Cal?

All I can say is... My son was born Thursday morning at 7:45 AM and I have a UK hat ready to go for my little guy to wear tonight as we watch the Cats take on the mighty Zips from Akron tonight!

All I can say is... My son was born Thursday morning at 7:45 AM and I have a UK hat ready to go for my little guy to wear tonight as we watch the Cats take on the mighty Zips from Akron tonight!

Congrats Rhom! I'll be an extra Wildcats fan today ;)!

I hear the Cal game got canceled. Too bad. I was looking forward to seeing how they might fare against Nevada.

La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Congrats! :)

The new Stanford Stadium opened my freshman year in '05; Cal is due for a refurbishment, which is scheduled for next year, and they'll play in Phone Company Park in SF, which should be... interesting.

I was there for the Emerald Bowl when Cal faced Miami. The layout for football is VERY odd. There is only one sideline - each team gets half the field. The distance between the back of the end zone and the big hard dangerous wall is about four feet. The stands are designed to face home plate, not 'the area behind the shortstop where Tony Gwynn used to hit the ball all the time' - which is midfield.

I'll be there. At least there won't be a Big Game there. But USC WILL come to town.

ETA: BTW - Cheeseboard Pizza is about ten to fifteen minutes walk, away from the stadium from downtown Berkeley BART. So if the plan is to eat there before the game, leave plenty of time.

Coming from the peninsula, I'd probably drive to either Union City or Millbrae BART station and ride the train in. There is no reasonable parking in Berkeley on a game day. Traffic is brutal - especially if you don't know the secret ninja routes through oddly-laid out neighborhood streets.

I've been to 5 of the 9 other stadia in the Pac 10 for a Cal game. Need to make the UW trip at some point. Outside of Memorial in Berkeley, my favorite experience was Autzen.

I think that coaching is one of the most important things in college football. How the coach game plans and prepares his team can mean the difference between a win and a loss. Look at last weeks WVU Marshal game, Marshal controlled most of the game and they were ahead with 9 minutes left. I do not think they game planned for that situation. The Marshal coaching staff, out-thought itself and went into a prevent defense, this allowed WVU offense (whist Marshal had done a good job in stopping for most of the game)to move the ball down the field and get going. Marshal lost the game because they changed the way they played the game.

Oregon had some problems the first quarter at Tennessee. Kelly did not panic and change his game plan. He put more men in the box to stop the run and sped the offensive attack. Oregon weathered the early onslaught and then won the game going away.

Sometimes the other team will be better or some breaks do not go your way, but I think a lot of it depends on the coaching staff and how they handle the in-game situations.

Sometimes the other team will be better or some breaks do not go your way, but I think a lot of it depends on the coaching staff and how they handle the in-game situations.

I was deeply disappointed in the seeming refusal of Jeff Tedford and the rest of the Cal staff to simply pound the snot out of Nevada with Shane Vereen. Instead they appeared to want to put the game in the hands of Kevin Riley - and Riley is not their best weapon.

Or at least that is what would have happened if the game hadn't been cancelled...

The play I thought summarized the whole game was going for it on 4th and 5 from the Nevada 10-ish yard line and managing to get a Delay of Game penalty called on them. Really? Really? Wow.

Washington's stadium is so loud, the camera's shaking. Damn.

I was gonna make a pithy post at halftime that "maybe Va Tech is just bad", but they seem to have taken care of shit in the 2nd half.

This crowd is absurd in Washington.

ETA: Is Dennis Erickson gonna have to choke a bitch?

ETA2: Kinda nice to have 3 PAC-10 games on right now. I guess I'll go run at the gym instead of outside so I can watch some of these.

Congrats Man! Great news.

In other good news, WVU rolled Maryland today. Would've liked to have seen a stronger second half, but the first half was great. Came out strong for once. I've got some negative things to say, but first the positive. WVU in the first half came out and played in a no-huddle hurry up offense. We looked like a much better team at this tempo, and Maryland didn't seem to know what to do. I hope we stick with this, instead of the QB referring to the sideline and taking forever between plays. We've got several very fast play-makers on offense, and imo the best way to use them is in a fast-paced tempo that wears the defense out. I was glad to see us do that today.

My only gripes going into LSU next week are:

1) gotta cover the deep ball. Maryland barely sniffed the red zone all day. Their only 2 touchdowns came on deep throws and blown coverage. Also gave up a huge deep ball @ Marshall. Better believe LSU is going to take note of that.

2) turnovers. have to do a better job of hanging on to the ball. We were just better ball security away from going into the locker room 35-0 at halftime.

3) we did a lot better today than the 8 minutes we decided to play last week, but we still aren't quite there in terms of playing 60 minutes. Watching the first half, we dominated Maryland in every facet of the game. The only breaks they caught were when our guys screwed up and stopped ourselves with a couple turnovers. But then in the second half, we let off the gas completely. Stew's second half game plan was 'run out the clock.' Which, yes, we want to do that, but not for the entire second half. Put the game well out of reach before you fix what ain't broken. We were carving them up in the first half and completely played 'not to lose' in the second. Hell, if nothing else at least treat it like a practice for LSU coming up. Make a statement! Its frustrating. The score in this game should have been more like 49-14 (and really, we cover the deep ball better and we shut Maryland out) but the staff shied away from doing the things that were working well in the first half. Why? I don't know. I guess we didn't want to hurt their feelings. :worried:

We do that down in Baton Rouge and we'll get the shit kicked out of us.

Still, all things considered, this was our best played game of the year against the best opponent we've played all year. Though Maryland aren't world beaters they got off to a good start this year and it was a good test before next week. I'm cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the O-line holds at LSU. I think that's going to be the key to the game for us. Geno has indeed proved to be a cool customer, he damn near had back to back 300 yd games through the air. If we can give him the time he needs, he'll make plays for us. LSU will be by far the most physical team we've faced this year, but if we go down there and play like we mean it, and play for the whole 60 minutes, then I think we can hang.

Wow our defense can't even keep UMASS below 37 points. I know that pretty much th entire secondary is either injured or inexperienced, but this is ridiculous. Robinson won Michigan the game...again. He's just awesome. I wish there was a way I could have watched the game, but I was working and I live in Massachusetts now so I don't get the big ten network. I hope the defense gets itself together for the Big Ten games, or else we're in trouble.

Seriously though, the QB for Nevada was extremely mobile and had an absolute rocket of an arm. He threaded a couple ropes down field that I think only a dozen or so QB's in the country could complete. If UCLA wants to run the pistol, they need a guy like that (or at least Prince to stay healthy and their O-Line to stay healthy).

If I were starting a team from scratch and had to choose between Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. Faster runner and more accurate, IMO.

Archived