Community - Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

That was a brilliant episode. I've never seen My Dinner With Andre, but the great thing is, that wasn't necessary. So many hilarious parts; Abed's rather long monologue about Cougar Town had me crying (despite, or maybe because, I kinda share Abed's love for that show). Shirley's summarry of the 'family friendly' version of Pulp Fiction. Pierce in the gimp suit. Troy calls wine 'no-no juice'. "You guys, I'm responsible for the diner while my boss isn't here!' "She keeps bragging about that!" Jeff's various confessions. And the whole homage within a homage while sort of spoofing homages and still working in interesting character stuff. God I love this show.

The fact that I got to see Gillian Jacobs do the Uma Thurman dance was just icing on the cake.

"It said market prices! WHAT KIND OF MARKET DO YOU SHOP AT?"

The fact that I got to see Gillian Jacobs do the Uma Thurman dance was just icing on the cake.

Dude, I spend every episode trying to figure out who is hotter: Gillian Jacobs or Alison Brie. I think conventional wisdom would say Alison Brie is. But there is som ething just deliciously naughty looking about Gillian Jacobs. I think it's the full-lipped smile. :drool:

Thanks, Brude. I enjoyed this episode, though I was aggravated while watching it, as I shared in Jeff & Co's apprehension and frustration over Abed and the Pulp Fiction gift. (And then I also wanted to strangle Abed after revealing the entire conversation was a hoax.) But that's also why I liked the episode.

I do wish they would tune Chang down a bit. He was great as a psychotic teacher, but he's a little too unhinged as one of their fellows.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was alright. Certainly not their best nor their worst.

I give it a big meh.

Yeah, lacklustre.

NBC Thursday is on its knees. CBS (Monday and Thursday) and ABC (Wednesday) are far ahead on sitcom quality now.

Community is patchy now and the other NBCs shows have fallen deep into the pit of suckitude.

If we were in the archaic world of pre-DVR, I probably wouldn't even be watching Community any more. The Big Bang Theory is very consistent.

Yeah, lacklustre.

NBC Thursday is on its knees. CBS (Monday and Thursday) and ABC (Wednesday) are far ahead on sitcom quality now.

Community is patchy now and the other NBCs shows have fallen deep into the pit of suckitude.

If we were in the archaic world of pre-DVR, I probably wouldn't even be watching Community any more. The Big Bang Theory is very consistent.

Mostly I agree. But Parks and Rec. is still quite good. I love me some Ron Swanson.

Parks and Rec is great. The wife and I decided to give season 1 a try via Netflix and within a week had watched every episode of the series to date.

I also don't understand how a show (talking about Community now) can be considered inconsistent because the episodes vary from absolutely hilarious to only containing one or two laugh-out-loud or chuckle moments an episode. Isn't a comedy still a success if it makes you laugh even once during it's 22 minutes? I don't expect to be on the floor rolling every single episode, but at the same time, I've never not laughed at an episode of this show. Even the Christmas episode had one good laugh.

Ahhh, consistency. The trademark of good comedy.

Parks and Rec is great. The wife and I decided to give season 1 a try via Netflix and within a week had watched every episode of the series to date.

I also don't understand how a show (talking about Community now) can be considered inconsistent because the episodes vary from absolutely hilarious to only containing one or two laugh-out-loud or chuckle moments an episode. Isn't a comedy still a success if it makes you laugh even once during it's 22 minutes? I don't expect to be on the floor rolling every single episode, but at the same time, I've never not laughed at an episode of this show. Even the Christmas episode had one good laugh.

Yeah agree with this.

Also will say about the not-as-good Community episodes are still always interesting. More than any other sitcom I know of, they're doing interesting things. Pushing the envelope. Doesn't always work but at least when they don't completely succeed, they're aiming high.

Not to say I thought the Dinner with Andre epsiode was a failure. Didn't find it hilarious but I was thoroughly entertained. Read a review talking about how it was an homage to Tarantino on multiple levels. And beyond just resurrecting an obscure film from the 80's that only a film geek like Tarantino (or Brude) would recognize instantly, it also hit on the classic Tarantino trope of dialogue as action (instead of the usual dichotomy of dialogue or action). Abed's story about Cougartown made for some pretty compelling TV in my opinion, not just the story but how it was told. Had no idea where this was going but definitely wanted to find out.

Can see folks being disappointed if you want sitcoms to function as comfort food. Feel that way about The Office. But think Community's consistently trying to do something more and appreciate 'em for it. Even if the 22 minute network TV time slot isn't ideal for the kind of grand concepts they're trying to shoehorn into it. I admire the audacity of it.

I found out today that Donald Glover is a passing good rap artist going by 'Childish Gambino'. His largest hit to date (as far as I am aware) is Freaks and Geeks. I am not convinced I like his voice, but he has good timing and some of the lines he drops are just awesome.

'Took the G out your waffle, all you got left is your ego'.

Is the wild west double episode this week? Or do I still have to wait?

I found out today that Donald Glover is a passing good rap artist going by 'Childish Gambino'. His largest hit to date (as far as I am aware) is Freaks and Geeks. I am not convinced I like his voice, but he has good timing and some of the lines he drops are just awesome.

'Took the G out your waffle, all you got left is your ego'.

Is the wild west double episode this week? Or do I still have to wait?

damn, had no clue he had that kinda skill. just listened about half an hour of his songs, he's for real.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was probably the first episode of the show that I really didn't enjoy at all. A couple of laughs ("What about Thai? The Thais are like Chinese Mexicans") but mostly it felt pretty lazy (oh, Troy's funny when he cries, let's make him fake-cry a lot), and the whole "Who's the Boss" thing was a one-use gag that they stretched into a C-plot. Even the all-black Fiddler of the Roof fell flat for me.

But I'm not terribly bothered by that, because this show has a huge store of goodwill with me. Definitely an off-week though.

Archived