Brienne's last word

MoJo

@Sualk

I have re-read it a couple of times because of this thread. There is no indication that unCat stayed in the cave. However, I will grant you that there is likewise no indication that she attended the hanging. We have a lack information. So I guess my question is: how can you totally ignore the possibility that unCat could be present to hear the "word"?

With the absence of information, I am inclined to rely on past knowledge. We know that unCat was at the Frey hanging. So, the way I look at it, we do not have any reason to suspect she would avoid the Brienne/Pod/Hyle hanging.

Additionally, she's called the Hangwoman. Another thing we know is that the notables of Westeros earn their titles. I will admit that it is conjecture to believe someone called Hangwoman would attend to every hanging for which she's responsible, but for me it is an extra nudge towards "unCat's at the hanging" camp.

As long as there is a possibility that unCat is there, I will hold hope that Brienne has a chance. If it means she abandons everything to seek revenge on Stannis (my best guess at The Word), so be it.

I'm thinking it has to be a word, and not a name - otherwise wouldn't GRRM have just said - she shouted a name. So that rules out Arya or Jaime or Hodor. Sapphires is a bit too soppy. I'm thinking she shouts the word Honor... for no other reason than that I don't know what else Brienne's character really illustrates. And in saying that word, it rekindles something (including of course her life) that UnCat has lost.

@Sualk

I have re-read it a couple of times because of this thread. There is no indication that unCat stayed in the cave. However, I will grant you that there is likewise no indication that she attended the hanging. We have a lack information. So I guess my question is: how can you totally ignore the possibility that unCat could be present to hear the "word"?

With the absence of information, I am inclined to rely on past knowledge. We know that unCat was at the Frey hanging. So, the way I look at it, we do not have any reason to suspect she would avoid the Brienne/Pod/Hyle hanging.

Additionally, she's called the Hangwoman. Another thing we know is that the notables of Westeros earn their titles. I will admit that it is conjecture to believe someone called Hangwoman would attend to every hanging for which she's responsible, but for me it is an extra nudge towards "unCat's at the hanging" camp.

As long as there is a possibility that unCat is there, I will hold hope that Brienne has a chance. If it means she abandons everything to seek revenge on Stannis (my best guess at The Word), so be it.

In my own opinion, wrong though it may be, it would be bordering on remarkable if Brienne didn't mention the fact that Catelyn was there at her hanging. She is, if anything, highly conspicuous in appearance. Moreover, there really is no purpose not confirming that Catelyn is not there. The inclination to do that as a writer seems . . . strange. In the case of the Frey hanging, Catelyn being there was the lasting image. Here, if Catelyn was there, she went completely unmentioned. Think about that for a second. How odd is that? If there was an execution scene carried out by the Night's Watch in Castle Black told via the perspective of Sam Tarly, would we not find it striking if he never mentioned Jon Snow, if, in fact, Jon Snow was there?

While I'm here, your own theory not only requires the assumption that Catelyn is there to hear Brienne scream "Stannis," but the further assumptions that (1) Catelyn cares about this previous oath and (2) that she even remembers it. Given her current condition, I think both those assumptions are in considerable doubt. Nevertheless, I actually tend to disfavor the Stannis revenge theory more on the grounds that, I don't think Brienne is a central character within the series, I know she will not have a POV in this coming book, and I can't imagine more time will be wasted on giving her story a third-act when there are far more important characters and only two books left.

@Sualk

Fair point about the lasting image, though the Frey hanging is our first introduction to unCat. We get much more vivid & intimate description of her in the trial, so it might not be as important to make note of her at the hanging. Additionally, when things get hectic, I find Martin's narrators become a touch unreliable. This obviously lends a sense of reality to his POV writing style and, considering that, gives me further pause over the unCat issue. With things swirling madly about her & the situation escalating, Brienne would look to/focus on unCat if she was present. I guess I am in the undecided camp now, but I will not believe she is done for until I see the body. Unlike you, I am a huge Brienne fan and I feel that she is not only central, but has plenty left to accomplish. Seeing you use the word "waste" to describe the Maid of Tarth makes me cringe, but of course everyone is entitled to their favourites :D

@Sualk

Fair point about the lasting image, though the Frey hanging is our first introduction to unCat. We get much more vivid & intimate description of her in the trial, so it might not be as important to make note of her at the hanging. Additionally, when things get hectic, I find Martin's narrators become a touch unreliable. This obviously lends a sense of reality to his POV writing style and, considering that, gives me further pause over the unCat issue. With things swirling madly about her & the situation escalating, Brienne would look to/focus on unCat if she was present. I guess I am in the undecided camp now, but I will not believe she is done for until I see the body. Unlike you, I am a huge Brienne fan and I feel that she is not only central, but has plenty left to accomplish. Seeing you use the word "waste" to describe the Maid of Tarth makes me cringe, but of course everyone is entitled to their favourites :D

I personally like her and enjoyed reading her POV in AFfC quite a bit, but there are roughly 20 POV characters right now and two books to go. She is not as important as either Daenerys, Jon, or Tyrion, any of the Stark POVs, the Lannister twins, or even Theon and Arianne. I just feel the extraneous POVs have to end at some point, especially those that operate as self-contained stories. Thus, I'm expecting Davos, Brienne, Victarion, and Areo to finish as POVs in the near future. I also think the remaining Greyjoys and Martells will be condensed into one POV (probably Theon and Arianne). And I think eventually the Lannister twins will be gone as well.

That isn't to say that I think Brienne's end will be insignificant. My own view is that she will be killed when she can't go through with killing Jaime in one of the latter's POVs. This, in turn, will have a big impact on the remaining Jaime character arc. Speaking of which, I was doing some re-reading of AFfC in the lead-up to July 12th and I have to say, there might be a bit of foreshadowing of Brienne failing to kill Jaime in her fourth POV in the book.

She did give the order for Brienne to be hanged. Although if she was smart, she should've accepted the deal to slay Jaime Lannister, then break her word and go off into the Vale to find Sansa

You really think BWB are so naive ... to just let her go on her word ? Surely they'd keep Pod as a hostage and insurance Brienne gets Jaime or dies trying.

If ZombieCat is present at this hanging, why does the text not mention it ?

After rereading the chapter i dont really think there is alot of things she could shout out that would stop her death. Actually when UnCat basicaly said Sword or Death. Im assuming when she saw poor Pod she felt guilty and shouted Sword instead hence changing her mind. I think it was left as a cliffhanger just because GRRM wanted us to be scared. Or else she shouted Ice. Because she kept calling the sword OathKeeper. More than likely its SWORD though. So now she gotta go kill Jaime. =(

Dog!

Just reread the chapter. The word dog appears A LOT. She wonders whether Dog is okay, they say she killed the dog (Hound Biter), Thoros refers to the people after them as dogs, Thoros and Lemoncloak argue over whether or not to use the Hound helm. Maybe Meribald and Dog are back, maybe soldiers/outlaws attack, maybe Sandor Clegane followed her from the island.

While there is a merit to saying that if Brienne did not chose to make a choice before beiing hanged I think its entirely possible that when the noose was tightened. Self-preservation and fear of death may well have kicked in at the last moment and she grasped at whatever straw was closest to her mind.

If Brienne is gone, I can't honestly say I would be disappointed. Her chapters, along with Jaime's, were among the most tedious.

He did come back as a voice in Arya's head in the godswood at Harrenhal, right? "You are Arya of Winterfell, daughter of the North. You have the wolf blood in you." Great scene.

I always imagined it like in the Lion king when simba talks to cloud Mufasa.

Anyway I think Brienne's last word would Sword , or maybe Tril like was mentioned.

maybe Sandor Clegane followed her from the island.

That would be an Epic Win. However i think its more likely that she shouted some word that indicates that she changed her mind. Because she was looking at Pod as if she felt mighty guilty.

Sandor Clegane is ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE!! )=

Two things one I think is more realistic the other would be more for the story. The one to add to the story, I think she possible utters "Song". It's unexpected and gives the maid a chance to show her softer said to Cat. A side which Cat always wanted to see, with the summarized by "One day [brienne] you will sing for me.". Also I do know Martin likes to have a song or uses singing to mark periods of transition for character development or stages. Singing could buy Brienne enough time to possible escape or convince un-Cat to some how give her more time to look for Sansa or Ayra.

Though sadly everything isn't always a cheery song, "sword" seems more likely since she was given two choices, "sword or noose", and I would think that given your getting hanged your mind isn't likely to wander from what is happening and will likely forget a promise made in passing. Unless she did say noose, but I think she is too honourable to let Payne or even Hyles die for her sins. Hoping for song though.

Archived