Soccer #23

Renasko

Time for a round of Liverpool jokes! Two via me from elsewhere online:

"Someone has defaced the statue of local hero John Lennon at Liverpool Airport. Where it used to say 'Above us only sky', it now says, 'Beneath us only West Ham and Wolves'."

"Now they have all been rescued, the Chilean miners' first task will be to visit Anfield to give advice to Roy Hodgson on how to get out of a fucking big hole by Christmas!"

Hahahaha, good ones. :D

I have paid little or no interest to the whole thing. I really couldn't care about Liverpool one bit. Their fans moan too much about losing a couple of games. Boohoo, big deal, you've been to two Champions League finals in the last 5 years, and now you're suffering a bad run which won't last. If they went bankrupt, I wouldn't give a fuck. People say they are a big part of English football...screw 'em, let someone else take their place.

I really couldn't care about Liverpool one bit.

Irrelevant. This is about football as a whole. We're all affected. Your comments are very naive.

For example, I was talking to a Liverpool supporter tonight and I was talking about the United situation being worse than even Liverpool's, etc. And he agreed, it's concerning. You wouldn't wish it on any club.

This is not a dividing issue in football. It's pretty clear. About the only time when rivalry is put behind us.

Irrelevant. This is about football as a whole. We're all affected. Your comments are very naive.

For example, I was talking to a Liverpool supporter tonight and I was talking about the United situation being worse than even Liverpool's, etc. And he agreed, it's concerning. You wouldn't wish it on any club.

This is not a dividing issue in football. It's pretty clear. About the only time when rivalry is put behind us.

Heh, I don't know, I think I kind of agree with Fireball there. Yeah sure, these are no happy times for the supporters of Liverpool, but as a fan of a lower club myself, I must say that seeing a top club struggling because of years of bad management and/or ridiculous behind-the-scene crap doesn't bother me at all. It proves that money and history don't suffice and that if you fail to capitalize on your years of success, well, too bad for you.

That's the game and while I could despair on the wasted opportunities or potential of some teams and players, I won't shed more tears for a big team failing spectacularly than for a smaller one slowly fading in the obscurity of lower divisions.

Of course I have no stake in Premier League so I might be less attached to the clubs there, but the same is true in Ligue 1 for me.

Personally I don't care all that much if any club that I'm not personally invested in collapsed due to mismanagement, except for a feeling of sympathy for the fans/members who would be blameless and losing an important part of their lifes. There are a huge number of football clubs in any country where the sport is popular, a lot of them have plenty of history and could fill the void.

The mess that Liverpool's ownership situation has become however serves as a good example to point to whenever someone in German football brings up the idea of repealing the 50+1 ownership rule.

Liverpool have done very well in recent seasons. Mismanagement on the football field isn't the problem. It's matters outside of football, ie. owners that know nothing about the game and having less money than they 'ought. Is it fair if a club gets hurt by non-sporting reasons?

Bah. Anyway...

How the hell do United find themselves tying with West Brom. I leave the game for ten minutes and they pull two back...damnit!

How the hell do United find themselves tying with West Brom. I leave the game for ten minutes and they pull two back...damnit!

it is well known that man united really do not want to win the premiership this year. they are looking to come in second or third with as many draws as possible.

but, they are not the toon. former midfielder nzogbia scored twice on his former team in two minutes today. fucking hell.

wow. newcastle snagged a point from a game that should have gotten them none.

But I’m still concerned about our home form, I thought it would be that which would keep us up. However after 1 point from home games against Blackpool, Stoke and Wigan I am a little panicky.

But I’m still concerned about our home form, I thought it would be that which would keep us up. However after 1 point from home games against Blackpool, Stoke and Wigan I am a little panicky.

as simple as it is, the problem is this: goals! the magpies need 'em. losing ben arfa to that bullshit tackle will be a gigantic blow to newcastle's ability to attack. i love andy carroll but he is relied on too much in the striker role. i want to see him on with shola from the start of a game more often. lovenkrands does not impress at all but he gets too much time on the pitch. also having jonas play a more attacking role on the wings really disrupts defenses and opens up the central midfield and the forwards to have chances.

Heh, I don't know, I think I kind of agree with Fireball there. Yeah sure, these are no happy times for the supporters of Liverpool, but as a fan of a lower club myself, I must say that seeing a top club struggling because of years of bad management and/or ridiculous behind-the-scene crap doesn't bother me at all. It proves that money and history don't suffice and that if you fail to capitalize on your years of success, well, too bad for you.

That's the game and while I could despair on the wasted opportunities or potential of some teams and players, I won't shed more tears for a big team failing spectacularly than for a smaller one slowly fading in the obscurity of lower divisions.

Of course I have no stake in Premier League so I might be less attached to the clubs there, but the same is true in Ligue 1 for me.

That's what I think. If Liverpool go bust, it will be because of bad money management. I've seen teams go bust before...and it's not nice for their fans, but I can't go around feeling bad for every single person. In a few years, not many people will care, just because Liverpool are a "big" club now.....Nottingham Forest were a big club once, most casual football fans probably don't even know who they are anymore.

I knew a Scarborough fan. He was from Scarborough and lived in Ireland, and they were not world beaters, but when they went bust, it really really hurt him. I mean, he can't have been to see them more than once or twice a season in Non-League, but he felt bad. I can't remember anyone offering him any sympathy, so why should Liverpool fans get some?

In the long-term, Liverpool going bust, doesn't really affect anybody else, it can be used as a valuable lesson.

Not that they will go bust anyway...

And a little off-topic, my team won 5-1 today in the Cup! :) First win of the season for us, first time we had our full team, and it really does feel good!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9099326.stm

2 fifa officials offer to sell votes for the 2018 world cup according to the sunday times. lets buy them. never doubted for a second the whole world cup process was corrupt (jack warner anyone) not sure it would be this easy to catch them though.

Our defence is so fucking fragile

Yup. Man U keeps dribbling points. Ronaldo's gone, Rooney's in a hole somewhere hoping that someday, he will be able to score goals again, Giggs is injured and even at his age he has been one of the best Man U players this season. The team isn't very strong, basically, and chances of winning the title this year seem slim, even though it's early days.

Archived