Belfast Moot 2

All of the cast members have seen Joe's audition videos. After the moot we were waiting outside a hotel for Ser Mel T to retrieve her car keys from Parris's room when Kit Harrington, Finn Jones and Gethin Anthony came out the doors on their way to get some food and we ended up in the same pizza place, but Kit congratulated Joe on a great performance and Finn said he was looking forward to seeing more.

Oh man! I bet GOTJoe was in conniptions. I wish I'd witnessed this - it was awesome enough seeing GOTJoe and GRRM both drinking out of the Horn of Winter and geeking out together in Dublin, but this must have been amazing to witness :)

There's no one more deserving of such a treat. And, short of giving him the damn thing, I can hardly imagine a more appropriate reward for everything that Ran has done for the series and all of us over the years. :thumbsup:

But, yeah, jealous!

Agreed

I am back, safe, sound, but tired -- bad traffic from the airport, and getting up at 3 AM to make sure I didn't miss my flight was brutal. 2 hours of sleep (and some light snoozing on the airplane) FTW.

The moot was amazingly wonderful, like some of the best evenings from Glasgow and L.A. The fans, the cast, George and Parris -- everyone made it a wonderful night. I've tweeted thanks to all those I know who are on Twitter (and have doubtless missed some), but many thanks of course to LMG, Ser Mel T, lilisorcha (AMAZING songs, ladies; it was a privilege to hear them, especially the Last of the Giants -- I hope if season 3 comes around, someone gets cast as a wildling spearwife... ;), Pod, EdricStorm and Ezeqiel (you guys rock!), Renya, Dannai, Knight of Teabags, and ... uhm, jesus, everyone else. It was an amazing evening, full of laughter, and I won't be forgetting it!

Last night was absolutely awesome! I would write more but my phone is shite when it comes to the internet. As it is, after a day of tours with Jacmac, im now at the airport waiting for a flight home. I am absolutely knackered but hell it was worth it...... And MG, yes, the card did turn the lights on. Lol

I am home too though it seems I have brought the rain with me from Belfast :(

While I did get to say hello to everyone I did not get to say goodbye to everyone including Samantha, Silverjaime and Ran who I wish I had had more time to chat with. I guess a lot of folks left while I was counting up the raffle money in a quiet corner of the bar, for the record we made £377 at the raffle. £150 of that will be donated to our children's literacy charity Teachers & Writers Collaborative with the rest going to Belfast Charity Action Cancer care of boarder Speculator from Studio NI.

Full details of all the winners and the prizes they chose coming up later when I get some time but I am going straight back out in about 20 minutes time.

ETA: oh yes I did count it wrong last night, adding a bogus £50 to the total and thought we had £427 so it has ended up a not quite 50/50 split as originally intended but not to worry, they are both very good causes and we still did a great job.

Also Qthulu - Alfie / Alfred ?

Qthulhu :D

Alfie. I hope your photos turned out ok, the lighting was a bit crazy.

No hangover and not late for work, hurray! Hi to everyone, apologies if you have to suffer the joy of my company, haha.

Giant, the game is corking. I hope that makes you feel better about not winning it. It's only Starks vs Lannisters, even in the expansion packs, so I'm going to invest in learning how to continually win as Stark! You need to insure that beard though, man. £15 not worth your dignity in a world of smoothfaced youths!

Silverjaime, thanks for letting me ruin your cozy conversation with the good Captain ;) . Your face was a picture when he gave you the continental farewell, I thought you were going to have a swoon. At the next signing I'm going to try and bribe Mr Martin into giving the nod to Jory flashbacks, haha.

Sam - Let there be light! Blame it on sleep deprivation :D

Nick, Zeke, Joe, Goat, Teabags, anyone I missed out or whose forum name I don't know, good to see you all! I'm still too intimidated to join the Big Threads but I look forward to seeing you all again sometime soon.

It's bad news about the banners, I was hoping somehow that they would have turned up at the venue this morning. I had a look round outside on my way to work but didn't see anything discarded.

Anyhow, time to start following people on social sites and tagging myself in their photos, haha!!

Ran is planning to sleep, probably, before posting! I am going to tackle it backwards, starting with the Moot, then I'll post about Castle Black, and then, yes, the Paint Hall.

Just to give a sense of what I'll be writing about, my visits to the sets were sort of a bastard hybrid of guest of the producers and media. So, for example, I have lots and lots of personal pictures which I can't post, while the reporters don't seem to have been allowed to take any. And I attended on interviews with actors and production people, but I'm only going to report very generally my impressions and leave the specifics to the journalists (who, unlike me, are under an embargo and so can't actually publish their interview write-ups until much nearer air date; don't want to steal their thunder, especially as they elicited some great answers from George, David Benioff, Owen Teale, and James Cosmo). The same with describing the sets and such, I can only really discuss my general impression rather than get into a lot of detail.

I've got the few pics I took off my camera and onto my computer. The quality isn't great on some of them but hopefully you'll enjoy them.

See Aoifstrifiammante's post below

EDIT - Forgive my noobishness but I can't seem to get the images to display properly, anyone know how to fix them?

You can't load images directly on here; you have to use the url tag instead and make it a link. Given the info you've put in your post, these should work.

Having looked at them now, btw, that's lilsisorcha in the last picture, so I put her name in here.

the banners have not 'turned up' yet. The venue was checked the next day.

I'll be posting a photo of the banner with 4 Houses sewn onto it as soon as I can. I do have photos of it at home, and will post them when I return to Santa Fe.

Someone who was invited to this very special event is a thief, and while they may think it's funny, that they were getting away with something that wouldn't be noticed, they're wrong. There's only banner like this in the world, we made it, it's my personal property, and we want it back NOW.

If it was one of the extras who has little connection to the Brotherhood who thought to take it was just ok to take something that clearly was not a prop from the production, they've proved themselves untrustworthy. Unless the person(s) return the banner, I will not be inviting anyone who is working as an extra on the production to any other events we host unless we personally know that specific person.

The events hosted by the Brotherhood and ourselves are a expression of our friendship and appreciation. We all spend a lot of time, effort and money to host events at WorldCons and other special events. Knowing that someone who was invited to the party was willing to break the bonds of hospitality in such a manner leaves me not just disappointed, but very angry.

During the evening I said to several people that we should savor this night, that if the show is a hit, it is not likely we could ever have a party like this one ever again.

The behavior of one or more people by stealing the banner certainly proves the bitter side of that truth. If I can't trust people to respect our our property, the chances of holing even semi-public events like the party in Belfast plummets to about nil.

to those people who are part of the production currently, if you discover where the banner is, you'd better find some way to get it back into the hands of a member of the Brotherhood immediately. As I've said before, that banner is my personal property, a memento of a very special event we had in 2008.

And don't think that this is a piddling little problem - anyone willing to steal from a party they've been invited to is more than able to steal actual props from the sets, or take photos to be published on the net without permission. It casts a cloud of suspicion over every person there - and with some many people who were invited because they were extras, not people known to us or the Bros by name, it particularly falls upon those responsible people who have a job as an extra thanks to this production to make sure that no one they know who was at the party has possession of the banners.

And yes, if the banner is not returned, I will make a stink about it with the GoT production team, and will also send a complaint to Extras NI about what happened, given that the most likely group of suspects is someone who came to the party that we did not know well, and has little connection to us or the Brotherhood.

There's a thief out there, somewhere, who came at our invitation to a very special event, and their actions are affecting many innocent people. If that person - or persons - reads this forum, or hears that we want it back, I urge them to do so now, because the longer the banner is missing, the madder I will become, and the less willing I will be to invite anyone I do not know personally to any event hosted by the Bros and George and myself.

Do the right thing; get it back into the hands of a responsible person on the production crew, or a member of the Bros this week. Fold it up, put the production office address on the package and mail it to the office. Wrap it in plastic, and drop it off inside a trailer on set with a note "To be returned to George R R Martin" and it will get back to us. IF you know who did this, urge them to return it now, while there is still a chance to do so without further repercussions.

Permission is granted to repost this post on any other Westeros/GoT forums. Hell, it's even encouraged.

During the evening I said to several people that we should savor this night, that if the show is a hit, it is not likely we could ever have a party like this one ever again.

The behavior of one or more people by stealing the banner certainly proves the bitter side of that truth. If I can't trust people to respect our our property, the chances of holing even semi-public events like the party in Belfast plummets to about nil.

What the hell? Anyone else find the above very off?

Finally getting to upload some photos - although crawling at the moment at about 1b/s. Our ISP (BT) were down from about 6pm yesterday, only just getting an (intermitant and slow) connection now.

as the saying goes....

'Pictures are coming'

Re. the banners - if it is the 4 crest banner that was at the back of the room - it was still up when I was taking photos during the singing, although it looks as though it had started coming loose from the wall - so that must have been at about 10.30pm.

Martin

Whew! Absolutely not used to being AFK for so long.

I had such a brilliant time at the moot, just wanted to thank Lord Mountain Goat and Silverjaime for all the work they put into setting it up and promoting it... JacMac30 for the see you Jimmy hat.... :)...it was such a strange mix of fans and actors and it was brilliant to be able to talk to GRRM and Parris and to meet Ran for the first time. I'm saddened about the banner thing too btw... it just seems so out of character for the type of people who were there. I'm not sure which it was but I also remember there was a white one that was half down for about half the night...

BTW Quthulu I am definitely up for a game soon. In fact, I wonder if we should organize a BWB Belfast game?

Joe

What the hell? Anyone else find the above very off?

what's off is that someone stole 2 banners from our party. The quartered banner was made for George's 60th birthday Feast of Love & Beauty celebration in Leitrim in 2008. It is my personal property, lent to the Bros for decoration at parties.

Maybe you don't know me - hi I'm Parris McBride, George's long-time partner and generally I'm the one who controls access to George for public events. I'm the one who encourages the Bros to create parties for people to attend to meet the Bros as much as to meet George. We donate many items to the fundraisers, we help out with getting Bros access to convention runners to ensure that the Bros are able to hold SIG panels and have a suite for parties at conventions around the world. Ask Stubby what we went thru in Melbourne, may be that will clue you in on why I'm so mad about having personal property stolen from a party that we hosted with the Euro-Bros at Belfast.

If the banners are not returned, we will not participate in another moot that invites extras and crew members held in Belfast. Ever.

In other words, I'm one of the people on these boards- and in real life you really don't want to piss off on all things concerning George and the Bros.

It is totally awful Parris that somebody would do that, and pretty much spit in the face of such generosity. Photos on WiC show that it was still up during the raffle, and it was still there when I went down to the seating in that area to get my coat and bag which I'd left down there. I left shortly after collecting my bag and stuff though I can't remember for the life in me what time it would be - around midnight perhaps; Silverjaime may remember as we went back to the hotel together. I know it's not much, but hopefully it may help narrow down who was actually left in the building.

Archived