U.S. Politics, 10

TerraPrime

It's possible that a voting requirement might spur people to read a bit more about the races that affect them. After all, part of living in a democratic society is involving oneself, even peripherally, in the democratic process.

I guess you could say I'm pro-choice on the issue of mandatory voting. I believe people should have the free will to make decisions that affect their own bodies, like the decision to have that body vote, or not ... :P

The douchebag running against Russ Feingold for Senate in Wisconsin invoked John Galt during their debate:

While the two went back and forth on issues such as the economy, Social Security, the health care law and the war in Afghanistan, the most spirited discussion came from a book that was written in 1957 and remains popular among some conservatives and people who espouse limited government.

Rand's book describes a dystopian America where the leading innovators leave society out of frustration with rules and regulations. It is a book that Johnson says he admires and has been a driving force in his political philosophy.

Asked by a panelist about the book, Johnson said "Atlas" represents the producers of the world, while "Shrugged" represents how overburdened the producers are with rules, regulations and taxes.

"It's a warning of what could happen to America," Johnson said. "When you hear people talk about a tipping point, that's what we're concerned about. . . . We have more people who are net beneficiaries of government than are actually paying into the system. That's a very serious thing to think about."

"I believe in the community," Feingold responded. "I believe in the community of Wisconsin. . . . You believe the producers are a very special group of people. I guess they're better than the rest of us. When things aren't going their way, you take the position that people shouldn't have unemployment compensation because you have the view they don't want to work."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/104751759.html

Sorry, just my own bias, but if you're one of these fucking Randites who thinks business owners are a uniquely oppressed minority in this country that are held back from true greatness by meddlesome regulations, you should just be disqualified from running for office.

It's possible that a voting requirement might spur people to read a bit more about the races that affect them. After all, part of living in a democratic society is involving oneself, even peripherally, in the democratic process.

However, for those who absolutely refuse to get themselves even the most basic political education, we could include a voting option, "None of the above."

We have a discussion on mandatory voting and no one pointed out that Australia already does this?

And yes, they let you spoil your ballot or vote for Mickey Mouse or whatever if you want. As long as you show up.

Apparently many show up drunk.

However, for those who absolutely refuse to get themselves even the most basic political education, we could include a voting option, "None of the above."

Hahaha!! Tracker, I love that! The problem with the "None of the above" option is that faced with the (not everyone) pathetic choices we currently have to run our government, "none of the above" might actually win!!

That would be grand! I have been in favor of kicking every career politician out for a long long time. Put Joe Shmoe in there or "none of the above", chances are the government would run more smoothly.

Hasta!

Stark Out!

Want true campaign finance reform?

1) Limit the total amount that can be spent. Keep it way, way low - say ten or twenty grand for a congressional seat.

2) Maximum amount *anybody* can donate to a campaign, public or private, is one dollar.

3) Candidates *MUST* participate in at least two debates per campaign with a (hopefully) impartial moderator. Ideally, they should have to field questions from a non preselected audience.

4) Third parties running adds for or against specific candidates are prohibited.

Let the screaming begin.

I saw him on the Daily Show a couple weeks ago. What an impressive, educated, well mannered guy. I was left wondering why he (and Jordan) is not being put forward by everyone as the face of moderate Islam to the world.

IIRC one of his sons also played an extra in Star Trek.

(later edit: tell a lie, it's the guy himself, who was still Crown Prince at the time I heard about it. Even more awesome!)

I was in Jordan a few years ago, and our guide was telling us how, in the absence of any real natural resources worth exploiting, the King instead funnelled the country's money into education, so they would have expertise to export instead. It's made an amazing difference.

Tracker,

I'd love to have that option, however, I seem to remember having a rather extensive argument here about what should happen if NOTA actual won a majority of votes. Most seemed to want to have the option but give the option no electoral weight (in other words if it won the next highest vote getter for an actual person would win) which perplexed me as to why it should be included if it was to have no effect if a majority voted NOTA.

Hahaha!! Tracker, I love that! The problem with the "None of the above" option is that faced with the (not everyone) pathetic choices we currently have to run our government, "none of the above" might actually win!!

That would be grand! I have been in favor of kicking every career politician out for a long long time. Put Joe Shmoe in there or "none of the above", chances are the government would run more smoothly.

Hasta!

Stark Out!

None of the above is an option in Nevada. I haven't noticed that Nevada is notably better-governed or represented than any other state.

To interrupt the Kingdom of Jordan love, let's not forget that it is one of the world's last bastions of monarchy that includes lese majeste as a crime, torture is widespread and unaccountable, that King Abdullah has largely gutted the Parliament in Jordan and dissolved it in 2009, and that Jordan remains one of the world's net exporters of radical jihadists, including to places like Iraq where I chased a few around the desert a year or so ago. Don't get me wrong, I like Jordan but I'm not much a fan of the King or the royal family. If you like modernizing Muslim countries with autocratic rulers, try Tunisia, it's much nicer overall.

Recent polling puts Republican Dino Rossi ahead in Washington State for the first time. This is still a neck-and-neck race, but that would be a really big pickup for the GOP. In some good news for the Dems, Giannoulias has a slight lead over Kirk in Illinois for Obama's former seat. That race has been consistently close, but Kirk has usually held the lead. Angle holds a tiny lead over Reid.

ETA: Eh, those numbers were from the RCP averages. Nate Silver still shows Murray leading Rossi and Kirk leading Giannoulias. Both races are very close, I guess is the point.

The newest poll(Elway) has Murray up 15, +6 from month ago.

To interrupt the Kingdom of Jordan love, let's not forget that it is one of the world's last bastions of monarchy that includes lese majeste as a crime, torture is widespread and unaccountable, that King Abdullah has largely gutted the Parliament in Jordan and dissolved it in 2009, and that Jordan remains one of the world's net exporters of radical jihadists, including to places like Iraq where I chased a few around the desert a year or so ago.

See! It's just like America!

Fun stuff from my neck of the woods -

Phoenix cop kills unarmed man and his dog

The police union rep on the video is a snake.

ETA: Respect to our local press for actually asking the fucking questions that need to get asked.

That is uterrly frightening. Like you said, good to see the anchorman hammering that smirking prick with questions.

Hilarious Onion article:

Congress Sets Sail In Search Of Fabled Sword Of Bipartisanship

"I know in my bones this is a sign," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) was overheard saying as he fell to his knees, humbled by the hovering Sword's fabled embodiment of civil discourse, mutual respect, and practical, common sense. "To see an apparition of this sacred talisman, which cuts through bickering and self-interest, is to see that we have strayed in our ways, and that only the Sword itself can point us toward the true path."

"We must seek the sword at once," said House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH), who, in a rare moment of alliance, knelt to join Reid in meek supplication. "Though we do not know where it is, it may be the only thing that can save us."

According to a raving, half-starved Senate page found Monday clinging to an oar in the Potomac River, a pack of seductive lobbyists attempted to lure Congress to their doom upon an island's rocky shoals, a disaster averted only when Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) locked his colleagues belowdecks and navigated the fleet to safety himself.

:rofl:

"Somebody needs to tell Obama that while the executive branch might have a duty to try to make a reasonable effort to defend existing laws and policies from court challenges, if the courts rule against the administration, the administration is not under any obligation to lock horns with the 3rd branch all the way to the Supreme Court. Especially if the administration actually claims to oppose the law or policy in question. It’s one thing to make a good faith argument at the first stage of the battle, and another thing to continue fighting after the third branch rules the other way. When administrations disagree with Congress, they still pick and choose battles. When they disagree with the third branch, they can also pick and choose battles. And if they actually claim to agree with the decision of the third branch as a matter of policy, they should really take “yes” for an answer."

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/mark_kirk_sends_poll_watchers_to_vulnerable_largel.php?ref=fpb

In a private phone conversation that was secretly recorded, Mark Kirk, the Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Illinois, told state Republican leaders last week about his plan to send "voter integrity" squads to two predominately African-American neighborhoods of Chicago and two other urban areas of Illinois with significant minority populations "where the other side might be tempted to jigger the numbers somewhat."

I think Feingold is done in Wisconsin.

I've wondered about this. I always thought Feingold was popular. Sort of surprised that he's losing by this significant of an amount. Is the challenger really that compelling?

I've wondered about this. I always thought Feingold was popular. Sort of surprised that he's losing by this significant of an amount. Is the challenger really that compelling?

People in Wisconsin be mad and ready to be rabble roused. Talking to people from there, the only response to this stuff seems to be a sigh and a headshake.

It's basically what's kicking the Democrats asses all over. Life is crappy and that means it's the guys in power's fault.

Archived