News from the Insane World of Terry Goodkind, Part 2

Werthead

But what turned me off was the excessive family values. I swear that the man uses the word "children" like a religious man might use the word "grace" - like it's the very core of all that is right and good and wonderful. Bleh.

Obviously Goodkind has never been around children. Let him spend a few hours in a Chucky Cheese where all the little Caitlins and Justins are have screaming shit-fits and I guarantee his next book will involve killing all the children right off the bat.

Still, Goodkind being nominated for awards is a shocking situation. It must have been a bad year for Wizard's First Rule to come 7th in Best First Novel for Locus. While Goodkind may not have actually won any of these awards, remember that Martin's ASOIAF hasn't either.

"Blood Of The Dragon" (which I've heard is basically the Dany chapters from AGOT) won a Hugo award for best novella IIRC. Not quite the same as winning the best novel award, admittedly, but having read some pretty weak Hugo award winning novels I don't really regard the opinions of the Hugo voters as being particularly meaningful.

Hey, Mr. Nous.

There are such things as causes, you say. Well, Hume begs to differ. Or at least, he says that causes are only the regularities we perceive, and that it is impossible to observe causation. What does Rand (or you) say to that?

Rand doesn't (AFAIK) explicitly say anything against that specific argument, though her conception of causality is different from Hume's.

I'd say Hume's mistake lays in his event-based conception of causality, as opposed to agent causation. However, I've only read his short treatment of the argument, and have no interest in debating it here, especially since I already said I'd leave this thread to Goodkind-bashers.

There is a long thread about Objectivist answer to Hume's argument against induction (and causation) here.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I thought I would provide a bit of amusement to one Scott Bakker by linking him to the Goodkind is Our God site, and here's his reaction, as posted on Three-Seas:

Sorry.. Can't stop laughing. Just checked out the 'Goodkind is God' site.

*wipes tears from eyes*

You know you've made the big leagues when... Really, if I were him, I would be flattered.

And there you have it, a thread resurrection.

I'm still waiting for the check ;)

And yeah, I sent Scott the link last night, knowing he'd appreciate it. He did. The contributors should all take a bow now...although I'll stand. Bad knees. ;)

Fucken Hell Yeah!!!

Oh Scott, we'll make you your own rabid fan forum...a whole thread devoted to your hair!!! And one dedicated to Sacred Seed.

Dylanfanatic -- thank you for bringing the uninitiated into Goodkind is our God. Maybe I ought to go back and complete my modding duties... :lol:

I've just instigated a whole new round of posting.... :lol:

You likely did! And I'm SO going to copy/paste this for 'Slosh' to read - after all, the TTT ARC that I received had a photo of Scott that made him look like the missing member of Air Supply :P

In one of those bizarre quirks of fate I had never in my entire life heard of the band Air Supply until I logged onto Wotmania back in November and saw Dylanfanatic's post about the resemblence. Literally within hours an episode of Family Guy had come on featuring Stewie miniaturising himself and flying into his father's testicles to the sounds of the aforementioned band. Odd.

In one of those bizarre quirks of fate I had never in my entire life heard of the band Air Supply until I logged onto Wotmania back in November and saw Dylanfanatic's post about the resemblence. Literally within hours an episode of Family Guy had come on featuring Stewie miniaturising himself and flying into his father's testicles to the sounds of the aforementioned band. Odd.

:o

LOL

You likely did! And I'm SO going to copy/paste this for 'Slosh' to read - after all, the TTT ARC that I received had a photo of Scott that made him look like the missing member of Air Supply :P

Ha. When I meet him at WorldCon (I'm thinking positively here), he'll be looking at me and thinkin' "So that's the woman who wanted to dedicate an entire thread to my hair..." I'll never live it down. Ah well, I think I can bear the burden. ;)

Just remember, he LOVES American light beers, the cheaper, the better ;) And hey, I tease him all the time about the hair and 'aboot' - and he tells me to shut the hell up in public too :P

It is, but hey, he lived in Nashville (I'm from near there) for a few years, so maybe it's changed for him? ;) Or maybe it's just a ploy to get you in more trouble with him? :P

Archived